User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Unmanaged Windows 10 Education native security tweaked with
Andy_Ful's Hard_Configurator
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
  • Use maximum settings in Hard_Configurator SRP, Firewall_Hardener and Configure_Defender
  • Allow runonce.exe
  • Allow Windows 10 Security Center to be available in the tray notification area
  • Whitelist MSEdge.exe dev in ASR rules
Periodic malware scanners
Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium Microsoft Edge
Maintenance tools
Privazer
File and Photo backup
  • OneDrive
  • Macrium Reflect Free
System recovery
With Macrium Reflect Free, take a single system image and retain it for recovery.
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
  • Dell XPS 15
  • i7 7700HQ
  • NVidia GeForce 1050
  • 32 GB (2 X 16 GB) HyperX Kingston 2400MHz DDR4 CL14
  • 512 GB Samsung M951 SSD NVMe PCIe
  • Matte non-Touch 1980 x 1020 display
  • Undervolt CPU

Thread author
Why do you need Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool on top of WD, also why allow runonce ?

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is auto-installed by W10. It can be removed by the user if they wish. I just leave it. And I've never used it. I listed it only because of the Virus and Malware Removal Tools field above.

runonce.exe must be allowed to run on systems that have an application that uses runonce to launch its interface, such as DropBox. If runonce.exe is blocked, then the DropBox tray icon\user interface will not launch.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Do you feel this setup usable?
I prepared H_C max settings for unsafe or vulnerable environment. :unsure:
For most MT members the H_C Recommended Settings, or predefined profile Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening, will be well balanced between security and usability. (y)

Thread author
Do you feel this setup usable?
I prepared H_C max settings for unsafe or vulnerable environment. :unsure:
For most MT members the H_C Recommended Settings, or predefined profile Windows_10_MT_Windows_Security_hardening, will be well balanced between security and usability. (y)

I have zero problems using maximum settings. Like none. Like, ever-ever.

NVidia drivers install no problem.
Windows Updates install no problem.
Drivers via Windows Updates install no problems.
MSEdge.exe dev updates install no problem.

If I need to use something that is blocked by SRP, then I know how to launch it using Admin privileges. No problems.

I use this PC. I do "stuff" on it. I don't have problems with it. If I had to install an IDE such as PyCharm, then I would have to whitelist a few processes by file path located in the User Profile directories because SRP would block them. To update PyCharm, I might have to run it with Admin privileges. So what. No big deal. Easy. No problems.

Privazer uses wmic.exe, reg.exe, netsh.exe, and others. It runs as Admin automatically in the Admin account. No problems.

For me, using SRP is ezpz. I don't get why others do not understand SRP. SRP is allow-block and ON-OFF. Like, there is next to nothing to learn. It is as simple as getting into the bathtub and splashing water to make bubbles.

Problem ? So what ? Problem is no problem. Find out what is blocked and then allow it. LOL, what is so difficult about that ? Not every allow-block decision has the potential outcome of nuclear war or peace. Most are just really common sense decisions within the context of what is happening on the system.

If you can read, and ride a tricycle, then you can use SRP, even at maximum settings.

ezpz :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
Believe me, you are the rare exception.:giggle:

That's a real bummer. But whatever, those that can't will find a way with something else. Or, errr, let's hope they do. :emoji_pray:

I don't get it. So many people know how to ride bicycles. So lots of people should be able to handle SRP. What'd they do, skip the tricycle ? Missed all that tricycle knowledge ?

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I don't get it. So many people know how to ride bicycles. So lots of people should be able to handle SRP. What'd they do, skip the tricycle ? Missed all that tricycle knowledge ?
Lots of people could use SRP (especially via H_C) but simply do not like default-deny setup.:giggle:
Default-deny is for aliens not for humans.:alien:

Thread author
Lots of people could use SRP (especially via H_C) but simply do not like default-deny setup.:giggle:

SRP has no marketing. Get Hawaiin Tropic girls and football stars to market it and things will change. All your neighbors will use SRP in no time at all.

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2004-an-hawaiian-tropic-girl-strikes-a-pose.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.