Monitor
Dell SE2417HGR
Keyboard and Mouse
Standard Keyboard
Optical Scroll Wheel Mouse
My computer protection
Windows 10 Security Center

Thread author

Relative to $1,500 to $2,000 systems that gain the average user - perhaps - a noticeable, day-to-day 10 % increase in performance. The real-world, practical use difference is likely to be something like 5 %, which provides no meaningful gain while draining your pocketbook more than necessary. $600 to $1400 greater cost, for some little gains. It makes no sense for my use cases.

As a side note, my i7 4720HQ 2 core system was faster than my i7 7700HQ 4 core system, even though that older system had lower specs across the board. The 4720HQ was faster to the extent that it was my favorite. It can come down to how fast the BIOS is as well as how well the various memory and data transfer components work together.

Last edited by a moderator:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Relative to $1,500 to $2,000 systems that gain the average user - perhaps - a noticeable, day-to-day 10 % increase in performance. The real-world, practical use difference is likely to be something like 5 %, which provides no meaningful gain while draining your pocketbook more than necessary. $600 to $1400 greater cost, for some little gains. It makes no sense for my use cases.

As a side note, my i7 4720HQ 2 core system was faster than my i7 7700HQ 4 core system, even though that older system had lower specs across the board. The 4720HQ was faster to the extent that it was my favorite. It can come down to how fast the BIOS is as well as how well the various memory and data transfer components work together.

Out of curiosity, how did you do the attribution for the loss of speed ?

Thread author
Out of curiosity, how did you do the attribution for the loss of speed ?

Simple tests, plus you can tell under certain circumstances just by common sense observation. More simple, more better.
  • WinRaR extract a known archive with established baseline
  • 7zip extract a known archive with established baseline
  • Time from reboot until active desktop
You could also get an Excel spreadsheet with a large data set and manipulate it. I'm sure one is available online for benchmarking.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Wowie. 64 GB RAM. What, do you like multiply large matrices with each other?

Wouldn't more bang-for-your-buck be more accurate?
Curious. Any chance you know why this is the case?

Thread author
My cheap secondary PC is $150 LOL

I had one I paid $50 for. Then had to replace the screen. Then had to replace the keyboard. Then had to replace the HDD with an SDD. Then it crapped the bed within 12 months. That's how $50 turns into a $200 paper weight.

Wowie. 64 GB RAM. What, do you like multiply large matrices with each other?

Virtual machines. Very resource hungry. The bottleneck is running the virtual machines from HDD. I don't have a choice as I don't have enough room on the SSD.

Wouldn't more bang-for-your-buck be more accurate?

You could say that.

Curious. Any chance you know why this is the case?

I got no idea. And neither do the OEMs.

• Thanks
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.