Battle Multi-engine programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Since this is a comparison of different antivirus/malware engines I assume this location is appropriate. Sorry if this is the wrong section. Feel free to move it :).

There are lots of antivirus/malware programs around today that incorporate a variety of different engines. Some examples of this include:
- G DATA
- 360 Internet Security
- Hitman Pro <------------- the amazing

Just a fun, non-serious question I thought about today after a review. What would be the best THREE engines to include into a program. Maximum and minimum of THREE. There are so many decent engines around, I found it almost impossible to decide. Hearing other people's opinions would be cool :). This is not a top three antivirus product list. It's mostly just preference.

Rules:
1. Can include both antivirus and antimalware engines.
2. Cannot say something like hitman pro as one of the options as it is already a multi-engine program. Simplest way I can word it.

My list:
1. Malwarebytes'
2. Undecided
3. Undecided

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Quick question, would this idea of a multi-engine program be running in real-time or on-demand? Or up to the user to decide.

My list:
1. ESET
2. Webroot
3. Windows Defender (MSE) -- low FP rate

Not in any order of priority.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Earth said:
Quick question, would this idea of a multi-engine program be running in real-time or on-demand? Or up to the user to decide.

My list:
1. ESET
2. Webroot
3. Windows Defender (MSE) -- low FP rate

Not in any order of priority.

Up to the user of course. It's hypothetical after all.
Edit: Nice list!

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
This comobation is my opinion is real light

> BitDefender Free Edition
> Webroot SecureAnywhere
> Trojan Hunter

> Malwarebtye Anti-Malware as a secondary scanner.
If you turn on Malwarebtye Anti-Malware realtime it
will work. But BitDefender Free Edition will have conflict
of updates! Also, Eset support said that there is a little
conflict,something with Malwarebtye Anti-Malware running
realtime.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks. :D I don't consider high detection rates as a priority. Have you decided on your other 2 choices?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
My main concern is the ability of the Anti-virus to clean the infection. Because sooner than later you are going to get infected!

F

ForgottenSeer 13700

I'd say this:

Malwarebytes' (it has relatively high detection rates, which is somewhat important);
Emsisoft (it provides relatively decent detection rates, and it was good new sample rates);
VIPRE (it's detection rates are relatively user friendly, and is not compromising);

I'm considering replacing VIPRE and changing it to ESET, as ESET has better web filtering - however, Malwarebytes' is too good at this, sometimes blocking legitimate websites, and legitimate assets.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Moose said:
My main concern is the ability of the Anti-virus to clean the infection. Because sooner than later you are going to get infected!

It is not the job of an AV to clean infections they all basically do a poor job.
Keep your files backed up and use a dedicated malware removal tool to clean infections or just reinstall Windows if all fail.

Thanks. :D

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Earth said:
Thanks. :D I don't consider high detection rates as a priority. Have you decided on your other 2 choices?

Like I said, it's so hard to just chose my favourite three :p. Malwarebytes for me is an obvious choice as I've had SO much success with it. I'm tossed for my second choice between Kaspersky/Eset. I'm thinking for number three windows defender would be a good choice, too.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Realistically this is my actual multi-engine protection, the most effective of them all.

1. Windows Defender. (Low usage, no noticeable impact on performance, doesn't intrude or annoy me, low FP, fast scanning)
2. Common sense: (Don't do stupid things that would end up compromising your computer and always have backups ready.)
3. Awareness: Staying aware and alert when downloading. (Check downloads with VirusTotal context menu in Explorer, only download from reputable websites like Softpedia, Filehippo, MajorGeeks) (Avoid CNET)

But if I HAD to choose from 3 products how ever...

1. Windows Defender (Same as above)
2. Webroot Internet Security (Very light, very fast scanning, all in the cloud, IMO good detection and unique prevention methods)
3. Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Great detection, Good protection with its BB/File Guard type modules)

I'm not even sure if it's possible to have these 3 running together without compatibility issues no doubt, might have to add folders/processors to exclusions in some cases.

I would have liked to include Malwarebytes Pro but chose Windows Defender as MBAM's real-time module is demanding on resources
(from what I've tested on my OWN PC, different for everyone's PCs so if it's light for you - good for you!)

Thanks.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
bob974 said:
Webroot
trend micro

Now, I use this combo. the engines are complementary.
I need someone else to clarify but wouldn't Trend Micro and Webroot conflict?

MrXidus said:
Realistically this is my actual multi-engine protection, the most effective of them all.

1. Windows Defender. (Low usage, no noticeable impact on performance, doesn't intrude or annoy me, low FP, fast scanning)
2. Common sense: (Don't do stupid things that would end up compromising your computer and always have backups ready.)
3. Awareness: Staying aware and alert when downloading. (Check downloads with VirusTotal context menu in Explorer, only download from reputable websites like Softpedia, Filehippo, MajorGeeks) (Avoid CNET)

But if I HAD to choose from 3 products how ever...

1. Windows Defender (Same as above)
2. Webroot Internet Security (Very light, very fast scanning, all in the cloud, IMO good detection and unique prevention methods)
3. Emsisoft Anti-Malware (Great detection, Good protection with its BB/File Guard type modules)

I'm not even sure if it's possible to have these 3 running together without compatibility issues no doubt, might have to add folders/processors to exclusions in some cases.

I would have liked to include Malwarebytes Pro but chose Windows Defender as MBAM's real-time module is demanding on resources
(from what I've tested on my OWN PC, different for everyone's PCs so if it's light for you - good for you!)

Thanks.

I use the exact same set up on my PC, too. Nice choices!

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
bob974 said:
Webroot
trend micro

Now, I use this combo. the engines are complementary.
I need someone else to clarify but wouldn't Trend Micro and Webroot conflict?

no conflict between them. This is after doing tests with VirtualBox I adopted this combo. Both engines also allow an excellent detection.
Separately, I find them much less effective.
I would like one of our great forum testers to test this combo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.