App Review My - 1 day - bad experience with Norton

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Norton Security Premium - 90 days trial license
Installation (rating)
1.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
A simple interface. I liked it first. But i got overwhelmed by the amount of configs. That is not necessarily bad, but i thing the configs could be cleaner and easier to read.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
That should be the good part. Norton have good results in tests. However, finding 2 false positives in the first day of use gave a very bad impression

For example i never found any FP with Kaspersky for the last 4 months. And almost none with bitdefender for the last 6 years.
Positives
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
Negatives
    • Irritating privacy settings
    • Higher than average false positives
    • Scans can be rather slow
    • Browser extension extras can be unreliable
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Ryzen 5 1400; 8gb RAM, 250Gb SSD, Nvidia GTX 1060
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hello! I'm just doing this review cause i got (badly) impressed about my experience with Norton Security Preimium.

I know a lot of guys here loves it, and i don't blame you. I just want to add another POV to Norton

Last edited:

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
"Norton still wanted to add extensions that could change my start page and my default search engine. Off course i could ignore it, but an antivirus trying to convince me to that, was more than enough to me."

I think you are overreacting, it gives the option on the page to CHOOSE what you want to install.

"Norton asked me to add my credit card info to use the 360 version. That made no sense as it was a free trial. "

I don't like that too, but it's a common practice on the AV industry.

"However, the extension installed on all browsers kept running in background by default."
??? That's a browser config when you install ANY extension, just disable it. Nothing related to Norton.

About Norton Premium/360: They still send trials to Norton Premium? I think they only keep Norton 360, maybe that's why you are getting pop ups to change to Norton 360.

You can criticize Norton about: Bugs, can't connect to the servers, lack of HIPS, slow at showing detections pop ups, etc, but what you said it's kind of non sense.

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
You're going to give Norton a bad review based on one day? :rolleyes::cautious:

Yes. As you saw, my experience was really bad. I uninstalled Norton cause those 2 false positives it found were sites that i use a lot. So if i wanted to keep it, i'd have to face Norton blocking those pages all the time - as Norton doesn't offer any way to exclude those pages from the signatures.

All comments i did were based on experiences that can be evaluated in that time. For example, the installation process, the management of configs, and - surprisingly - finding 2 FP in 1 day.

BTW, i made clear that my experience is limited to that period. ;)

"However, the extension installed on all browsers kept running in background by default."
??? That's a browser config when you install ANY extension, just disable it. Nothing related to Norton.

Actually it isn't. I meant it was running in background even after closing the browser. All those browser i mentioned were minimized for that bottom bar with norton, day, sound. etc... after closing the browsers. The only extensions i've ever saw with this behaviour were VPN extensions (meant to keep the VPN access 100% of time with the installed browser) and Norton extensions.

Other extensions like Kaspersky protection, Bitdefender TrafficLight, Htttps everywhere, ublock, etc, are only loaded when (and during) the browser is in use.

I don't like that too, but it's a common practice on the AV industry.

Unfortunately

I think you are overreacting, it gives the option on the page to CHOOSE what you want to install.

I think that a paid AV shouldn't even consider telling you to use their search engine "because it's safer". Its probably as safe as using google or any other. Maybe it will exclude some pishing pages from the query, but thats why you already have SmartScreen, SafeBrowsing and the Norton web defense itself (without mentioning MBGD, BTLS, etc). The only true reason they ask you to use their search engine is to make more profit with you, by tracking your web habits. So basically you are paying to use their service and to see them asking you to track your search - and send more information "anonymously -, so they can make more money with you. I don't think it's ethical, and i would not trust a company that tries to explore its users in every way they can find.

but what you said it's kind of non sense.

I don't think so. It certainly makes more sense than saying that all extension run in background by default :)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Norton is one of the AV's I like after using it for some years - On 360 for example you don't need to install any extensions whatsoever, if you go rummaging around you my end up with a suggestion but that's all. I've never used the Norton search, it must be said that after some years of using Norton I know what not to do - I don't agree with Norton adding a search but you don't have to use it - The firewall settings are the best I feel of any AV suite.

I always feel Norton is one of the easiest AV's to setup, I suppose again when you have used it a while. I don't think it's possible to come to a conclusion of it in one day though? I think most AV's are heading in the directions of signing in rather than a code, for example Emsisoft & Kaspersky not far off, few if any FP's so that's not an issue. I don't like the VPN but you don't have to use it - As for scanning, I tend to scan on installation then every few weeks as regular scanning for me is pointless.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
- On 360 for example you don't need to install any extensions whatsoeve
Good to know. That's the right direction for Norton, i guess.

The firewall settings are the best I feel of any AV suite.
I have to agree with you. The firewall rules from Norton are good and very clear

I always feel Norton is one of the easiest AV's to setup, I suppose again when you have used it a while.
Probably your experience using it, helps you. In that case, my one day experience is good to example how someone that never used it, handles the configs

I don't think it's possible to come to a conclusion of it in one day though?
I never intended to make a "final judge" about Norton after one day. The whole idea was always show a different point of view about Norton, cause most user reviews i saw pointed few flaws about the software. I think that pointing those problems, even if some people don't agree, could help other users to check them and make their own opinion.

I don't like the VPN but you don't have to use it -

why?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
You're going to give Norton a bad review based on one day? :rolleyes::cautious:
as a half-year user of SEP which basically has the same base of libraries in its security AI and heuristics components.
I have had a bad impression of the security of Symantec now known as Nortonlifelock
you can get an insight into the issues I have been experiencing by reading my security config.
and the consumer product is even worse with useless bloat from chrome extension to cleaning utilities that just increase the attack surface and cause instability.

Last edited:

jtshadow92

Level 2
Verified
Jul 17, 2015
as a half-year user of SEP which basically has the same base of libraries in its security AI and heuristics components.
I have had a bad impression of the security of Symantec now known as Nortonlifelock
you can get an insight into the issues I have been experiencing by reading my security config.
and the consumer product is even worse with useless bloat from chrome extension to cleaning utilities that just increase the attack surface and cause instability.
I really don't think you realize what Norton products are geared towards. Not every security product is 100% issue free, but I've never had an issue with the utilities Norton products come with. You're using an enterprise product when you should be using a consumer product based on your needs. I've never had an issue this Norton products other than it has a tough time with adware but like I said, not every product is 100% effective. For me, this review is not valid and if OP had given Symantec/Norton products at least 30 days then yes, I would reconsider.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I prefer endpoint-based product since it has better policy management that no consumer product includes.
Since I haven't used Norton for years I truly can't be taken seriously.
moreover most attack concerns I have such as abusing an outdated library rarely target the endpoint so consumers can even have less of a threat.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
your review was for 1 day, so i presume you only did one full scan, and in your cons you said the scan was slow. it is slower on the first scan because it has a program insights module that does an analysis of your existing programs and compares it to the Norton user database, rating the risk. i don't think it ever rescans insights programs after they are deemed safe, or if you have allowed riskier ones. so subsequent scans should be a little faster. i don't think I've ever had a false positive with Norton and I've been using it for over 5 years. i may get an insights module warning, that a program isn't used by many in the community, or was recently created, but not a signature-based mistake from the antivirus module.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This review may be based on 1-3% of the whole product experience.

Software Trials range from 7 to 30 days, allowing the user to experience the full product over a period of time for a non-biased evaluation.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
in my case I had Norton installed for 1 year I think I remember it was 2007 and after the experience, I will never ever install a Norton Symantec product for friends or enemies (for enemies maybe yes):(:LOL::oops:
Recent versions of Norton are very different to old versions. These days it is very light. Rather than basing your opinion on old versions, I suggest you try it again.

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
Recent versions of Norton are very different to old versions. These days it is very light. Rather than basing your opinion on old versions, I suggest you try it again.
I am a bitdefender user I am used to giving many opportunities to different antivirus programs in the case of Bitdefender it has been worth using it for many years when almost everyone criticized it now it is one of the best.
The case of Norton is totally different, an antivirus program is there to protect the computer, but when the antivirus program does more damage to the computer than the virus itself, you should not give it any more opportunity (norton technical service = 000000):sneaky:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, all AVs have their tricks, and it is true that sometimes when you install an AV, which you have not used, you are a bit lost.
What I did not like, from what you said, is that it does not recognize the language you have on your PC, it would have to be detected automatically, that is a waste of time.
But I still think Norton is a great AV.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
in my case I had Norton installed for 1 year I think I remember it was 2007 and after the experience, I will never ever install a Norton Symantec product for friends or enemies (for enemies maybe yes):(:LOL::oops:
Once Norton started listening to customer feedback the product improved drastically. If you have not used the latest 2019/2020 versions, then I recommend you give it a try for at least 14 to 30 days before forming a judgement based on some 13 years ago.

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
Once Norton started listening to customer feedback the product improved drastically. If you have not used the latest 2019/2020 versions, then I recommend you give it a try for at least 14 to 30 days before forming a judgement based on some 13 years ago.
I am a Bitdefender user, I am used to giving many opportunities to different antivirus programs in the case of Bitdefender, it has been worth using it for many years, when almost everyone criticized it, now it is one of the best.
Norton's case is totally different, an antivirus program is there to protect the computer, but when the antivirus program does more harm to the computer than the virus itself, it shouldn't give you more opportunities (norton technical service = 000000)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.