Troubleshoot My computer keeps opening new tabs/reset to the homepage.

Brxdie

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 22, 2017
The computer opens a new browser at seemingly random intervals. Sometimes it'll open one every second, sometimes once every 5 minutes. It also decides it wants to be at the home page. Whenever this happens my mouse stops moving all together. I was supposed to give the laptop to my friend a few months back but have not been able to due to this issue. I can try to provide more information if needed.
Help would be much appreciated, thank you very much!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, I faced such a problem before. What browser are you using?

Few problems here

1) Uninstall and remove browser using Revo Uninstaller or IOBit Uninstaller.
Clean thoroughly using CCleaner+Wise Registry Cleaner+Wise Disk Cleaner.
Search using Search Everything and delete browser remnants
Go into the registry and delete browser remnant entries
Restart and re-install browser

2) Get a copy of MalwareBytes AntiMalware and AdwCleaner and scan the system

3) Change your keyboard, if possible. It could be due to a faulty loose key after repeated use

Try first ok?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yes, I faced such a problem before. What browser are you using?

Few problems here

1) Uninstall and remove browser using Revo Uninstaller or IOBit Uninstaller.
Clean thoroughly using CCleaner+Wise Registry Cleaner+Wise Disk Cleaner.
Search using Search Everything and delete browser remnants
Go into the registry and delete browser remnant entries
Restart and re-install browser

2) Get a copy of MalwareBytes AntiMalware and AdwCleaner and scan the system

3) Change your keyboard, if possible. It could be due to a faulty loose key after repeated use
+1

Try first ok?

Upvote 0

Brxdie

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 22, 2017
It was defaulted to Microsoft edge at first i believe, I managed to download and change it over to google chrome and the problem continued with whatever browser was set to default. I am trying what you suggested now. I'll get back to you with the results. Thank you.
(It decided to push out an update when i restarted my laptop so i'll have to wait)

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Update all the Windows firmware first

Make sure download latest Chrome 64-bit from its website and not from other site

Upvote 0

Brxdie

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 22, 2017
I removed microsoft edge and that appears to have solved the issue? Whenever i've done this in the past i've just kept edge and changed it but it appears completely removing it may gave solved the problem.

Upvote 0

jAcos

Level 2
Verified
Aug 9, 2016
I read somewhere here about program which trigger browser to launch. Is there a "specific web address" you see in the tabs?
Sometimes programs does this. they open or "trigger" browser launching.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I removed microsoft edge and that appears to have solved the issue? Whenever i've done this in the past i've just kept edge and changed it but it appears completely removing it may gave solved the problem.
how do you completely remove Edge?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.