My default browser constantly opens up websites randomly

blehkid

Thread author
Mar 6, 2019
Using my chrome browser, I mistakenly downloaded a dangerous software in search of free bitcoin, then all of a sudden I got notifications from my windows defender; "Malware detected". I immediately deleted the software and everything related to the download of that software.
Since then, my default browser (internet explorer) keeps opening up websites, and when those websites load, it's from one Ad to another. I then set my google chrome to default, and it opened there. This also happened to my mozilla firefox when I set it to default. I updated my windows defender and did a full scan, did full scan from another anti-virus software (samdav), still the problem persisted. I tried looking for footprints related to that dangerous software download I deleted initially, but still:emoji_sob::emoji_sob::emoji_sob:

Had to delete all browsers on my pc, thinking that would stop the problem, believe me there was no more browser pop-up again, but then I noticed that every time I try to shut-down my system, it tells me a setup is still running, if I should "Shutdown Anyway" or return to finish the setup. This unknown setup had its icon looking like this danger symbol; a white 'X' in a red circle.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.