Troubleshoot My laptop shuts down at 37% of battery power

el gitano

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2015
Hi everybody, i discovered today that my PC shuts down at 37% without any reason or notification. According to AIda64, my battery has a 27% of physical wear...

Maybe virus? A problem with the battery? A problem related with the energy device?

My lap is ASUS X451M Win 8.1

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
What @Duotone said. It's a common problem with any device that runs off battery power. All you need to do is calibrate it. Again, what Duo said: Try and drain your battery to 0%. If it turns off at 37%, connect it again and let it charge a minute or two, then pull the charger out and continue use. Once the battery dies, connect it up and DON'T take the charger out until your device says charging is complete. Otherwise, you break the magic.

Upvote 0

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Yep, I suspect that the battery has been used for long time without calibration. Similar problem with my lap. I use it for about 2 years, only plugged in, never on the battery. The battery is on the "Battery health" mode - at 50-60% level. Once I used it for about 10 minutes and it got to 5% from 56%. It's lost calibration.

Upvote 0

el gitano

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2015
I did it, i drained my battery to 0%... then I waited some hours. Then I plugged in my lap and now I see that i doesnt charge.... it's still in 0%.... if I dont plug it, it shuts down :(

Attachments

• 0% de bateria.jpg
    0% de bateria.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0
W

Wave

I did it, i drained my battery to 0%... then I waited some hours. Then I plugged in my lap and now I see that i doesnt charge.... it's still in 0%.... if I dont plug it, it shuts down :(
Can you turn off your system, remove the battery and then put it back in, and make sure it's locked in there correctly? Then connect your system to the charger and turn it back on, once it's booted, see if it charges correctly.

I know this might sound like weird advice but there was once a time I had the same problem you are having (and I did the same thing you did, and had the same problems after) and I don't know what I did, I didn't replace the battery or anything... Issue just fixed itself. I think it was eventually due to the battery not being put in place correctly.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi @el gitano, I have gone through the problem that you are facing. I believe its possibly a battery replacement time. Do you get any error during booting, in the bios screen?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hi @el gitano, I have gone through the problem that you are facing. I believe its possibly a battery replacement time. Do you get any error during booting, in the bios screen?
Battery Calibration takes too long, I would just replace the battery as recommended.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It seems your battery is already dead, cause the tool shows clearly that the wear level is continuoisly deteriorating.

Better replace instead.

Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
When the laptop shuts down on battery power, after you plug it in and then turn on, what % of charge does it show left on the battery?
Also do the following steps and see if it helps.
Switch of everything and unplug the charger from the laptop.
Take the battery out.
Plug the charger to the laptop and the power supply and switch your laptop on.
If it switches on, your laptop is OK, the battery is probably the problem part.
If it switches on, again turn it off, unplug, put the battery back and give it around 10 minutes charge and then switch it on.
Give it full charge.
Then try it again on battery power only.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.