ATI 5650 (overclocks to 700, 900)
Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drive

Sony Vaio VPCEC290X

Very happy with it.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Just upgraded to 8GB of RAM.

Waiting for Windows to really start caching it. It's nice to see "Free" memory slowly dwindle down as "Standy" increases steadily.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
It's wonderful. I get the performance I expected from it, boot times are 15 seconds, and everything opens up very quickly.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Windows won't use all of that 8GB unless you're using some serious memory hungry programs.

On my desktop windows uses 2.7GB max for every day tasks and probably 4GB while gaming.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Shadow Death said:
Windows won't use all of that 8GB unless you're using some serious memory hungry programs.

On my desktop windows uses 2.7GB max for every day tasks and probably 4GB while gaming.
I have eBoostr for caching and Superfetch disabled.

Also, it's useful for VM's.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Typical checking the forums(these included), ventrilo, Visual Studio, putty (ssh to my server at the college), winamp, minecraft (not really listed under gaming.

What really drags it down are games like Bad Company 2. For the most part windows will take up a fairly large chunk of ram but nothing past 3 gigs as far as I've seen. The only way I see it taking up huge hunks is if you decide to disable page files which even then I would never recommend it.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
My windows would only prefetch like... maximum of 1.8GB. I've disabled superfetch and I'm now using eBoostr, which uses about 3GB.

I just don't likethat it won't dynamically shrink.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Got rid of eBoostr. Turned superfetch back on.

I'm going to let Windows do its thing. I may open up a 1GB RAMDisk to store my Chrome User_Data folder on. I might also use it as a downloads folder for malware, that way if anything ever gets through (while testing) I can simply restart.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
you have a good laptop :) As you surely know windows uses virtual ram in form of page file, so change that to 1GB (if it's 16MB it won't be able to register the BSOD in case you want to analyze them).

You could also try to see if you can upgrade it to i7-720QM.

Regards

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I have had my pagefile disabled since I had 4GB =p

Can't upgrade my CPU unfortunately, it's welded in. Silly Sony.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Yep. Next time I get a new computer upgrading will be a factor in the purchase. But that won't be for a while.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Even when gaming I only ever hit 80C. Right now I'm at 50C.

I have a cooling pad though but I never need to use it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.