App Review My own "ransomware" vs Windows Defender

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah really the main thing you can go by is the idea of a low reputation binary modifying files, especially in My Documents and other user-valuable paths. This is how most behavior blocker identify ransomware and when a low-reputation EXE is doing that work themselves, that is an easy rule to write. Kaspersky and Emsisoft simply halt such an application mid-act and give you a few seconds to answer whether or not you expected them to be doing this. Others automatically terminate the application but give you an option to whitelist and try it again.

This proactive technique breaks down for scripts (difficult to measure reputation) and when you use another binary that's well-trusted to do your dirty work for you.

Asking the user to make the decision will only help those who are tech-savvy. Most users click "allow" on everything. They don't know better and per default use "allow" because otherwise things they need don't work anymore. So, this is only beneficial to a certain type of user. It's preferred to have a decision by the AV product itself.

With that said, there is no wide-spread ransomware that doesn't provide any of the other features I mentioned if they want to be somewhat profitable. E.g. all of them have shadow copy deletion by now. Those are the behaviours that---in combination with the encryption and renaming---might be detected with heuristics.
Once the ransomware is known, we also catch the newly packaged variants by other means than heuristics.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Asking the user to make the decision will only help those who are tech-savvy. Most users click "allow" on everything. They don't know better and per default use "allow" because otherwise things they need don't work anymore. So, this is only beneficial to a certain type of user. It's preferred to have a decision by the AV product itself.

With that said, there is no wide-spread ransomware that doesn't provide any of the other features I mentioned if they want to be somewhat profitable. E.g. all of them have shadow copy deletion by now. Those are the behaviours that---in combination with the encryption and renaming---might be detected with heuristics.
Once the ransomware is known, we also catch the newly packaged variants by other means than heuristics.

I agree that prompting is not a great approach, but I think the way that the prompting is phrased generates a different user reaction. For example, something like Windows SmartScreen or a self-signed certificate warning in a web browser is basically phrased as:
"This thing you're trying to do is not known to be safe. It could be anything. I'm gonna block it. Do you want to allow it?"

Meanwhile, most AV behavior blocker warnings come in the form of:
"I observed behavior from this program that looks like ransomware. I'm going to kill it in 10 seconds unless you tell me not to".

I still expect most users will react more seriously to the latter, compared to the former which pops up on virtually a weekly basis for the average person.

With that said, you're absolutely right that most of the times, ransomware is either existing variations of known ransomware or a new download mechanism to sneak known ransomware onto the system, or it performs a wide range of tasks beyond just encrypting files. These additional behaviors further serve to trigger antimalware software because they usually all use a "scoring" system where a certain number of suspicious activities added together will trigger an alert.

With that said, these kinds of tests are still interesting for testing the dynamic behavior blocking aspect. Other than ESET and a few others, the vast majority of the industry believes that a behavior blocker is an important part of their emerging threats / zero-days story. We have a ton of testers already who give us a lot of data points on how both static scanners and behavior blockers react to real ransomware.

I see these tests, instead, as a part of the scientific process of isolating each component of ransomware and seeing how an AV reacts to it. Just like the disclaimer in the MalwareHub, these individual data points do not justify saying one AV software is better than the other, but all of this has been very valuable in helping us to understand the strengths and weaknesses of these products, and I think they've projected pretty well onto predictions of how well this software works in the real world.

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Windows defender has excellent detection rates, perhaps the antivirus with the greatest number of users, but it still needs its detection mechanism better, which often misses silly threats, this also applies to its behavior detector.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Spot on and almost identical view/point from Emsisofts main developer @Fabian Wosar . (y):emoji_beer:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.