App Review My own "ransomware" vs Windows Defender

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
There has been ransomware using zip archives and LOLbins before. E.g. Bart ransomware (creates zip archives), CrypVault (uses GnuPG.exe). Those are not more or less difficult in regards of detection. It being newly written from scratch plays probably the biggest role in bypassing AV. There is still code that calls the LOLbins. There is still behaviour that can be detected as suspicious. Using clean software doesn't suddenly taint everything else as clean too.

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
There has been ransomware using zip archives and LOLbins before. E.g. Bart ransomware (creates zip archives), CrypVault (uses GnuPG.exe). Those are not more or less difficult in regards of detection. There is still code that calls the LOLbins. There is still behaviour that can be detected as suspicious. Using clean software doesn't suddenly taint everything else as clean too. It being newly written from scratch plays probably the biggest role in bypassing AV, not the means how it encrypts.
The first victim will probably get infected but the AV's cloud system will probably flag a suspicious activity from the parent process and get it blocked by signatures, a software solution that prevents changes to userspace folders will block it at the cost of the user getting lots of popups every time he edits or creates a file legitimately.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
There has been ransomware using zip archives and LOLbins before. E.g. Bart ransomware (creates zip archives), CrypVault (uses GnuPG.exe). Those are not more or less difficult in regards of detection. It being newly written from scratch plays probably the biggest role in bypassing AV. There is still code that calls the LOLbins. There is still behaviour that can be detected as suspicious. Using clean software doesn't suddenly taint everything else as clean too.
Malware has been using lolbins since forever !
But every sample is welcome

bayasdev

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
That's not how it works ;)
I know an AV has kernel hooks/drivers to monitor everything that's going on the system and some even use W10 AMSI for script/powershell malware but most of them by default are lowered down to lower the FP rate (ESET IS) and others lack a proper implementation AKA behavior blocker technology. I remember Emsisoft behavior blocked getting bypassed calling a legitimate file present in the system and then it got updated.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
I know an AV has kernel hooks/drivers to monitor everything that's going on the system and some even use W10 AMSI for script/powershell malware but most of them by default are lowered down to lower the FP rate (ESET IS) and others lack a proper implementation AKA behavior blocker technology. I remember Emsisoft behavior blocked getting bypassed calling a legitimate file present in the system and then it got updated.

I believe we use terminology differently and that's the actual misunderstanding here (regarding cloud and signatures). Yes, I agree, certain heuristics can be more prone to false positives and may need a higher threshold to flag this as malware. The ability to monitor behaviour is also probably very different for every AV product, so some will see more events than others. That may give this ransomware a head start with certain products in regards to behaviour monitoring.

Last edited:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

I did something very similar. Other than Kaspersky (partial protection), almost every other AV had difficulties with this sample. Zero day ransomware's best chance at success is by leveraging a whitelisted runtime or encrypting tool.

It is a technique we've seen in the wild throughout history, but worth remembering that even state of the art behavior blockers struggle with it.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Heuristics have the issue that ransomware behaviour is not distinguishable from e.g. backup software that saves space by compressing files. Compression looks just like encryption, it raises the entropy. Renaming lots of files at once is not malicious, nor is encryption or compression. These actions only become malicious in context. So most of the time there needs to be something additional like anti-AV features, UAC bypass features, shadow copy deletion, certain ransom note keywords, code injection.

If you create a bare ransomware from scratch just using the encryption portion and no additional features, there is no way to detect it with heuristics without also flagging legitimate software.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Heuristics have the issue that ransomware behaviour is not distinguishable from e.g. backup software that saves space by compressing files. Compression looks just like encryption, it raises the entropy. Renaming lots of files at once is not malicious, nor is encryption or compression. These actions only become malicious in context. So most of the time there needs to be something additional like anti-AV features, UAC bypass features, shadow copy deletion, certain ransom note keywords, code injection.

If you create a bare ransomware from scratch just using the encryption portion and no additional features, there is no way to detect it with heuristics without also flagging legitimate software.

Yeah really the main thing you can go by is the idea of a low reputation binary modifying files, especially in My Documents and other user-valuable paths. This is how most behavior blocker identify ransomware and when a low-reputation EXE is doing that work themselves, that is an easy rule to write. Kaspersky and Emsisoft simply halt such an application mid-act and give you a few seconds to answer whether or not you expected them to be doing this. Others automatically terminate the application but give you an option to whitelist and try it again.

This proactive technique breaks down for scripts (difficult to measure reputation) and when you use another binary that's well-trusted to do your dirty work for you.

For the latter, I think the right answer is enhancing behavior blockers to account for "who started this application?" and if it's an untrusted process, consider the child process untrustworthy too.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.