2024-01-12_182552.jpg

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Dr. Web Classify it as Unwanted Website.
1705079074889.png

Edit: So far, I count 20 detections in total (including VT ones) as of right now.

Reported to Cisco Talos again with more details this time. If a major threat intelligence like Cisco detects it, then Google/MS might block this site at some point.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Kaspersky needs to get a better policy with fake stores sooo much of it as of lately it kinda is a security threat to the user. All the other vendors added detection but for the first time ever i see kaspersky being a slug.

It's simply because Kaspersky doesn't block fake/scam shopping sites. It's not in their policy. There is nothing more to it. They are probably afraid of blocking legit shopping sites by mistake, which could cost Kaspersky money. But not blocking fake store would cost users their money.
Most other vendors are not worried of it. You just have to show them the proof that the shopping site is fake and they'll block it.
This particular site doesn't have or inject any malicious code while ordering, so it doesn't fall into Kaspersky's "Data Loss and Threats Protection" category. Vendors like Avast has very specific "Scam:Store" category, Bitdefender has "Fraud" category, most vendors would put it under "Phishing". Kaspersky doesn't have a category for scam/fake shopping websites.
View attachment 280861View attachment 280862

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Avast/avg just incorporated a fake website shield in their product not too long ago. Not sure how it works but has anyone had good luck with it?

Reactions: brambedkar59

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Kaspersky needs to get a better policy with fake stores sooo much of it as of lately it kinda is a security threat to the user. All the other vendors added detection but for the first time ever i see kaspersky being a slug.
I agree with you. I have tried to make my case about fake shopping sites to them 4 times near the end of 2022 and all I got was similar responses to the ones I shared above. I even wrote a harsh reply to them the last time but that is something I shouldn't have done as I'm just talking to employees who are simply following their company policies.
I see that @harlan4096 has written them back and waiting for a response. I think he'll receive a similar response but a change in policy would be a better outcome for Kaspersky customers.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Avast/avg just incorporated a fake website shield in their product not too long ago. Not sure how it works but has anyone had good luck with it?
Both detect it now (check post 39 & 41). I don't know if this was due to website being reported by me & other MT members, or if it was automated. VT still doesn't have Avast/AVG detections. I checked VT scan on 9th of Jan and it had zero detections.
Edit: Wait is Fake website shield different from their usual detections?

Update: Just received an update, Cisco Talos denied changing reputation. :(
1705082206897.png

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I agree with you. I have tried to make my case about fake shopping sites to them 4 times near the end of 2022 and all I got was similar responses to the ones I shared above. I even wrote a harsh reply to them the last time but that is something I shouldn't have done as I'm just talking to employees who are simply following their company policies.
I see that @harlan4096 has written them back and waiting for a response. I think he'll receive a similar response but a change in policy would be a better outcome for Kaspersky customers.

I got the same answer, I didn't insist with them.
Quite disappointed that they didn't block it.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Anyway, I've replied their last verdict, asking for some explanations, also attaching this thread.
Hello,

Dear User,

Thank you for sending a request to Kaspersky!
Please note, this site can only be blocked by a legal decision.

Best regards, Senior Web Content Analyst
39A/3 Leningradskoe Shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia Tel./Fax: + 7 (495) 797 8700 Kaspersky Cyber Security Solutions for Home and Business | Kaspersky Securelist | Kaspersky’s threat research and reports
Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal - get insights about suspicious files, hashes, URLs, IP addresses or domain names

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Both detect it now (check post 39 & 41). I don't know if this was due to website being reported by me & other MT members, or if it was automated. VT still doesn't have Avast/AVG detections. I checked VT scan on 9th of Jan and it had zero detections.
Edit: Wait is Fake website shield different from their usual detections?

Update: Just received an update, Cisco Talos denied changing reputation. :(
Cisco changed reputation from "Neutral" to "Untrusted".
1705163153579.png

Reactions: Stargazer_Steve
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.