My Sisters' Laptop Security Configruation

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Just a question, what type of Linux is she mostly using?

savit

Level 1
Apr 9, 2011
fanboy ( http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ ) is very useful site. that can block AD, Tracking, Annoyance. :)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
savit said:
fanboy ( http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ ) is very useful site. that can block AD, Tracking, Annoyance. :)

Yes I've used the Adblock List and Tracking list for IE9 from this website.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why dual-boot Windows and Linux? Who uses Windows and what for?

Windows
Only recommendation is to password-protect Avast.

Linux
Could configure the firewall is switched on, and add something to prevent access to Phishing/Scam sites.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
Why dual-boot Windows and Linux? Who uses Windows and what for?

Windows
Only recommendation is to password-protect Avast.

Linux
Could configure the firewall is switched on, and add something to prevent access to Phishing/Scam sites.

I force them to use Linux for web browsing. They use Windows when they face a problem with Linux, or if they want to open a program that isn't present for Linux. I don't know why am I doing this, Windows is enough (but I'm planning to downgrade to Vista). :D

Linux
add something to prevent access to Phishing/Scam sites.
I already have WOT in Firefox.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why downgrade to Vista? Vista is like XP, outdated and annoying to maintain.

swftech

Jun 20, 2011
+1 for "forcing" your sister to use PCLOS. Since I am a Linux user who only triple boots Linux & Windows because I am a tech and need to stay up to date on all Windows software etc, it's nice to see someone introducing their friends and family to Linux. Although I prefer Debian based distros with Gnome or Xfce DE, when I do use a KDE desktop it's usually PCLinuxOS or Mint KDE. My only other suggestion as far as security in Linux would be to get her using Noscript extension as well as AdBlock Plus, whether she is in Firefox or Chromium. And as another user said, make sure her firewall is configured correctly in PCLinuxOS. As far as her Windows instal, you'll need a whole lot more security as I'm sure your aware of...lulz.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Earth said:
Why downgrade to Vista? Vista is like XP, outdated and annoying to maintain.

I wanted to do that, but I've changed my mind. Everytime I used Vista I found it to be good enough, but Windows 7 is better. The only drawback is that there is a problem with BIOS when Windows 7 is installed on my sisters' laptop. Anytime the battery goes under 40%, it starts saying your battery needs replacement, which I never faced when using Vista or XP. The notification disappears on a re-installation of Windows 7. Will that cause problems with the laptop in the future or there is no risk?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I find that Windows on my sisters' laptop is only a waste of resources. They use it only for MS Office. I think I am going to remove Windows and get them a VM. Share your thoughts please.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
WALT instead of VM install Wine or PlayonLinux in your PCLINUXOS. Msoffice2007 is certified to work correctly in WINE. And as for as I know pclinux os has not been getting updated frequently. I am a constant follower of distrowatch.com. I suggest shift to Linux Mint KDE or Ubuntu. But if you want an RPM distro then pc linux os would be the best, but you can try fedora but the mp3 codecs are missing.

Also check this site howtoforge.com which is a good resource and tutorial site for configuring linux distros.

I really miss mandriva which has been alomost discontinued.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
malbky said:
WALT instead of VM install Wine or PlayonLinux in your PCLINUXOS. Msoffice2007 is certified to work correctly in WINE. And as for as I know pclinux os has not been getting updated frequently.

I've tried MS Office several times on Wine and it never worked fine for me.

malbky said:
And as for as I know pclinux os has not been getting updated frequently.

Latest release was this month (3/2/2012): http://www.pclinuxos.com/?cat=3

I find KDE to be a bit heavy, XFCE is the best choice for me. I think I will stay with Xubuntu or a distro based on it.

:eek:fftopic:
I have two sisters who use the laptop. That's why I wrote the apostrophe after the word "s" and that means a plural. :p

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Update: No longer Dual boot, only Linux is present and I've put Windows in a VM. :D
Switched to Xubuntu.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes WALT understood you have 2 sis. WALT why dont you try genome. IT is very good. IF you want a total light weight ubuntu- i mean completely lightweight try lubuntu.

What ever said i really like the interface of linux distros, they look very good. But maybe its my personal preference.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you are interested to Puppy Linux then you can try it anytime since even a low hardware or high hardware performance is applicable. Faster bootup and shutdown times.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.