Battle My suggestions for Free security combo 1. Kaspersky, 2. Bitdefender

Compare list
KIT 1: Kaspersky (KSC-F)+ Spyshelter (SS)

KIT 2: BITDEFENDER FREE + WFC + Kaspersky AntiRansomware free

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I have made some research about the main free AVs in the market. IMHO Bitdefender free and Kaspersky Security Cloud Free are the best free options out there. However, both, lacks some pro features, so i decided to create and test 2 security kits, with both AV, trying to cover their weakness. I'd like your opinion about which one is better and how to improve it, keeping it user friendly and with great performance

KIT 1: Kaspersky (KSC-F)+ Spyshelter (SS)
KSC free, have almost all the major features of the paid version, except:

Major features:
App control and manager
Firewall
Banking protection

Minor features
Tracking and ad block
Software Updater
Webcam protection

The last three features have better free options available, so i really don't mind. I would prefer to use: Adguard/Ublock; Patch my PC+Sumo + Windows WEBCAM control than Kaspersky options.

However, APP control and a better firewall control could actually improve defense. After some testing with: Spyshelter, Voodoo, Comodo, Windows Firewall Control (WFC), TyniWall, SimpleWall, i realized that Spyshelter formed the best combo with KSC. SS FREE have an excellent and similar to Kaspersky APP control, . Furthermore, SS can control Windows FIrewall. The only problem i found it that it generates more pop-ups than KSC. But if you don't like it, you can set the security protection to medium level, which reduce a lot the alarms, while keep you in control and safe.

Other useful options i found was KSC+Voodoo+WFC or KSC+Voodoo+whitelistcloud. The last option is the one with less management of them all

KIT 2 BITDEFENDER FREE + WFC + Kaspersky AntiRansomware free

Bitdefender lacks some minor features of the paid version, but the more important features it lacks are: ransomware protection, banking protection and firewall.
I covered both with WFC for better windows firewall management. and Kaspersky AntiRansomware free for ransomware protection.

As a second option i would get Bitdefender+Simplewall+Acronis Antirasomware

I couldn't find any free Banking protection, but i'm not sure if that's is really needed nowadays.
Thats all

IMHO, KASPERSKY+ Spyshelter is the bestsecurity combo.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Acronis has a free Anti-Ransomware? I thought it's only included in True Image...
It's a little outdated (last update was in dec/2018).

Acronis Ransomware Protection - Download (softonic.com)

But the good news is Acronis blocks almost 99 percent of all the threats, and this is significantly better than the majority of other similar tools. Acronis intercepts potential attacks so that no tangible harm is done. Acronis blocks both never-before-seen and known ransomware. It mitigates suspicious processes so that they don’t inject bad code into the computer or encrypt files. Another great aspect of Acronis is it works alongside your antivirus tool. It provides 5GB cloud backup of the most important files.

There are other options like Ransom Buster (trendmicro.com). However, i never tested a lot of antiransomware programas. The Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware (KAR) tool is one of the best, but it lacks some features that are included in KSC free. Despite that, KSC free let you choose to participate KSN and marketing politics, while KAR only works if you accept both politics. That's one the reason i prefer KSC+SS over BDF+WFC+KAR. Furthermore, KSC gives you access to more features than BDF

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
It's a little outdated (last update was in dec/2018).

Acronis Ransomware Protection - Download (softonic.com)

There are other options like Ransom Buster (trendmicro.com). However, i never tested a lot of antiransomware programas. The Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware (KAR) tool is one of the best, but it lacks some features that are included in KSC free. Despite that, KSC free let you choose to participate KSN and marketing politics, while KAR only works if you accept both politics. That's one the reason i prefer KSC+SS over BDF+WFC+KAR. Furthermore, KSC gives you access to more features than BDF
Another decent Anti-Ransomware would be AppCheck in my opinion: CheckMAL - Protect your PC with 100% Signatureless Anti-Ransomware AppCheck
I don't really like standalone Anti-Ransomware software in general, but if I had to decide I would pick this. Maybe you wanna check it out.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
For me I'm using KSC + SS free + WiseVector StopX.

WiseVector StopX comes with a behavior blocker, memory protection + others

KSC cw AV
SS free cw FW/HIPS
WVSX cw AV/BB
Interesting. I never used WVSX. I looked at their features and company information and i'm not sure if it's a good idea. I didn't notice any WVSX feature that KSC wouldn't already cover. Add to that, the company is based in China, young (2017) and don't explicitly inform about how they make money. That ring some bells. Anyway, you can correct me if i missed something.

I trusted SS because they are in the market since 2009, have already been extensively tested, and have a clear market purpose. But even so, i would prefer they were open source.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Interesting. I never used WVSX. I looked at their features and company information and i'm not sure if it's a good idea. I didn't notice any WVSX feature that KSC wouldn't already cover. Add to that, the company is based in China, young (2017) and don't explicitly inform about how they make money. That ring some bells. Anyway, you can correct me if i missed something.

I trusted SS because they are in the market since 2009, have already been extensively tested, and have a clear market purpose. But even so, i would prefer they were open source.
I also think that it would be slightly overkill with SS + KSC + WVSX. The developer of WIseVector is here on MalwareTips and is saying that he will be publishing a paid version soon, so that you don't have to worry about your data. Many people here like the program, me included.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Edited my post #5 slightly for better clarity. Should read as below

KSC cw cloud-based and local-based AV with BB
SS free cw FW/HIPS
WVSX cw local-based AV/BB - not required

Add a sandbox and it'll give better protection

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
WVSX has local-based AV and a BB whereas KSC uses cloud-based AV. WVSX can use to complement KSC and vice versa

What do you meant exactly with "Kaspersky Security Cloud = cloud-based AV", as it has local protection modules (SystemWatcher, etc.) and also local stored signatures (beside of KSN), so there is almost nothing to complement by WiseVector

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I am currently using Comodo Firewall (CS Configuration + HIPS in Safe Mode) + Microsoft Defender. I think it's good enough and smooth, but I have an open mind to improve this configuration.
I tried COMODO with KSC before VS and SS. It's a great program. I gave up because it required more user management than SS (in medium mode) and I was looking for something that could be used by anyone, even the average user, without compromising any setting. I found that SS in medium mode only showed random pop-ups during the first 3 days. After that, almost everything was already configured. I had more trouble configuring COMODO

I think COMODO have more chances to conflict with other AVs as you it was created as an internet security solution in mind, while SS and VS are closer to a second security solution, to be used with other AVs - but i may be wrong about this.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
avg free instead of bitdefender
Interesting, I'd like to know why you think so. Can you comment? Usually, i exclude everything coming from AVG/AVAST because of their past of privacy abusing. Furthermore, tests usually show that AVG/AVAST have some good and consistent results, but bitdefender/kaspersky usually have performed even better. For this guide, i tested AVIRA too, but it lacks web protection.

Psycho_Chicken

Level 1
Dec 7, 2020
I tried COMODO with KSC before VS and SS. It's a great program. I gave up because it required more user management than SS (in medium mode) and I was looking for something that could be used by anyone, even the average user, without compromising any setting. I found that SS in medium mode only showed random pop-ups during the first 3 days. After that, almost everything was already configured. I had more trouble configuring COMODO

I think COMODO have more chances to conflict with other AVs as you it was created as an internet security solution in mind, while SS and VS are closer to a second security solution, to be used with other AVs - but i may be wrong about this.
Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Too complicated, may as well purchase a security suite instead for better compatibility (long term).

Windows 10 - Microsoft Defender, a modern Browser with content and malware blocking, file backup to the cloud, additional local backups.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Interesting, I'd like to know why you think so. Can you comment? Usually, i exclude everything coming from AVG/AVAST because of their past of privacy abusing. Furthermore, tests usually show that AVG/AVAST have some good and consistent results, but bitdefender/kaspersky usually have performed even better. For this guide, i tested AVIRA too, but it lacks web protection.
vg aka Avast has revoked their selling data to third entities'....Avg is simple clear easy to understand has high rates of protection and cleaning .....very good web protection and phishing capabilities....it is cheap even to buy it ...( just 25 dollars for 2 years for 10 devices the Ultimate version)

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Avast-AVG has a better protection rate than Bitdefender free, paid versions from BD and kaspersky have better protection (also more layers to protect).
I no longer recommend BD free because of several issues ... can be buggy on some systems, when you boot your computer you have to wait one hour before it updates signatures, webprotection is not that great as in the paid version.
When you want to uninstall its not possible , its lacks to run the original uninstaller ... so you have to use their uninstall tool from their website (and this is the same problem with Total security when you want to uninstall)

Last edited:

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Too complicated, may as well purchase a security suite instead for better compatibility (long term).
Yes, a little bit more complicated than a paid suite, but the idea was to get something complete and free. And the only thing that is difficult, is to deal with the first days advices from SS.

vg aka Avast has revoked their selling data to third entities'...
I heard about that, but i'm still very skeptical about avg/avast

Avast-AVG has a better protection rate than Bitdefender free,
Why do you say so? In terms of malware protection, BF only lacks ransomware protection. I never see a test comparing both free versions.

webprotection is not that great as in the paid version.
I never heard about that too. All research i made point that both (paid and free) use the same engine

When you want to uninstall its not possible

I used bitdefender free and paid for more than 7 years without any single problem installing or uninstalling in all my family pcs. I never experienced any bug too.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Not only my own experience, but others noticed it too

If you have acces to their forum : Phishing protection of Bitdefender Free and Traffic Light. — The Bitdefender Expert Community
Also watch the video's , when its catch phishing is with another notification than with BD free alone, trafficlight is the same like in paid versions.
When i uninstall Bitdefender using Hibituninstaller it always fail to start the BD original uninstaller (two weeks ago) so i had to use their uninstaller tool... perhaps more luck with windows uninstaller (to remove software).
Another: League of Antivirus - Scoreboard for FREE Antivirus - YouTube

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.