Battle My suggestions for Free security combo 1. Kaspersky, 2. Bitdefender

Compare list
KIT 1: Kaspersky (KSC-F)+ Spyshelter (SS)

KIT 2: BITDEFENDER FREE + WFC + Kaspersky AntiRansomware free

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I have made some research about the main free AVs in the market. IMHO Bitdefender free and Kaspersky Security Cloud Free are the best free options out there. However, both, lacks some pro features, so i decided to create and test 2 security kits, with both AV, trying to cover their weakness. I'd like your opinion about which one is better and how to improve it, keeping it user friendly and with great performance

KIT 1: Kaspersky (KSC-F)+ Spyshelter (SS)
KSC free, have almost all the major features of the paid version, except:

Major features:
App control and manager
Firewall
Banking protection

Minor features
Tracking and ad block
Software Updater
Webcam protection

The last three features have better free options available, so i really don't mind. I would prefer to use: Adguard/Ublock; Patch my PC+Sumo + Windows WEBCAM control than Kaspersky options.

However, APP control and a better firewall control could actually improve defense. After some testing with: Spyshelter, Voodoo, Comodo, Windows Firewall Control (WFC), TyniWall, SimpleWall, i realized that Spyshelter formed the best combo with KSC. SS FREE have an excellent and similar to Kaspersky APP control, . Furthermore, SS can control Windows FIrewall. The only problem i found it that it generates more pop-ups than KSC. But if you don't like it, you can set the security protection to medium level, which reduce a lot the alarms, while keep you in control and safe.

Other useful options i found was KSC+Voodoo+WFC or KSC+Voodoo+whitelistcloud. The last option is the one with less management of them all

KIT 2 BITDEFENDER FREE + WFC + Kaspersky AntiRansomware free

Bitdefender lacks some minor features of the paid version, but the more important features it lacks are: ransomware protection, banking protection and firewall.
I covered both with WFC for better windows firewall management. and Kaspersky AntiRansomware free for ransomware protection.

As a second option i would get Bitdefender+Simplewall+Acronis Antirasomware

I couldn't find any free Banking protection, but i'm not sure if that's is really needed nowadays.
Thats all

IMHO, KASPERSKY+ Spyshelter is the bestsecurity combo.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
comodo internet security is free, protect against trojans, spywares, ransomwares...
firewall is better, filterweb is excellent...
We get your point, many of the members here ( myself included) are already using comodo firewall/ internet security suite with "CS" setting or with other custom configurations. So in my humble opinion, there is no need for futher advertisement, unless you have a specific point to prove. This is just my opinion, if you don't like it forget it.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Jesus you like to slow down your machines.... Just install all the security applications, every application is trying to access the same file.... That's what I call paranoia.

Just be simple, practical and balance performance/security. Keep it simple, Kaspersky cloud with Glasswire or Bitdefender free with tiny firewall, or other simple conjugation of applications.

Find a fast third party scanner for occasional scans, like Hitman pro or malwarebytes, etc

Several applications at the same time it's not a guarantee of security, but it's certainly a guarantee of bad PC performance.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
In my experience, if you don't have a suite, a combination of 2 real-time apps doesn't slow down my PC like KSC+ SSF or KSC+ Voodooshield. More than that, my machine becomes sluggish. To maintain performance, when I have a combination of 2 apps, I harden Windows and its firewall: I get good security and performance.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
In my experience, if you don't have a suite, a combination of 2 real-time apps doesn't slow down my PC like KSC+ SSF or KSC+ Voodooshield. More than that, my machine becomes sluggish. To maintain performance, when I have a combination of 2 apps, I harden Windows and its firewall: I get good security and performance.

"2 real-time apps" - Who win when accessing the infected file? Two applications trying to take Ownership of the file, how your SO will react freeze, BSO? Certainly one thing I will not recommend is two or more real time protecting applications running at the same time, scanning the same files, with the same objective, I don't see a point or benefit in this approach.
But this is my point of view, this is no right or wrong, one thing I guarantee any application need CPU and RAM, more or less all need their share.

koloveli

Level 4
Well-known
Sep 13, 2012
two applications antivirus cause conflict can give brluescreen, crash...
i already use comodo internet security and avira, PC stay very slowndown, crash screen...
others suites same uninstall does changes in system than only removing manual solve!

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
"2 real-time apps" - Who win when accessing the infected file? Two applications trying to take Ownership of the file, how your SO will react freeze, BSO? Certainly one thing I will not recommend is two or more real time protecting applications running at the same time, scanning the same files, with the same objective, I don't see a point or benefit in this approach.
But this is my point of view, this is no right or wrong, one thing I guarantee any application need CPU and RAM, more or less all need their share.

I did not say running 2 antivirus but KSC + Voodooshield or KSC+ Spyshelter Free. These are real-time apps that don't have the same functions. Read my post.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anti-loggers are not effective against most forms of social engineering and phishing tricks.

Webcam protection may be useful against an app going rogue/hacked, but the user can avoid keyloggers by not installing any random programs or warez, from the Internet, which has the capacity to hide loggers and other malware.

A lot more people now use Android and iOS for daily use, Windows is a smaller part of their daily lives.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Being that KSC Free does not contain Application Control but has System Watcher would Voodooshield Free or SpyShelter Free in combo add anything else to KSC's latest protection v21.3.10 besides the potential of slowing PC performance?

Would just adding the last free version of OSA or SWH to KSC be the icing on the cake?

Or last but not least, would just KSC + SWH and Windows Defender Firewall be all that one needs for rock solid protection?

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I think Windows Defender + vodooshield free + comodo free firewall is one of the best combo free solution. Windows Defender + comodo free firewall without voodooshield is fine too, i think.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
comodo firewall + Avast or bitdefender+ Malwarebytes free for on demand scanning
comodo firewall and antivirus + Malwarebytes
Zonealarm firewall and Antivirus + Malwarebytes

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
vg aka Avast has revoked their selling data to third entities'....Avg is simple clear easy to understand has high rates of protection and cleaning .....very good web protection and phishing capabilities....it is cheap even to buy it ...( just 25 dollars for 2 years for 10 devices the Ultimate version)
You will forgive me for what I am going to say, but Avast and Avg are the same. The worst antivirus on the market. You see that I have had to repair computers with malware problems because one of those antivirus is installed. I would never recommend an antivirus with such a bad reputation, selling your data to third parties.
Excuse me but that's my experience.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.