Solved My Win7 laptop suddenly rebooted should i Worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Hi guys!
I was just surfing on youtube watching some vids my ampdan1 and my laptop unexpectedly got rebooted without even my consent...this has never happened before... should I worry? :(..any ideas what could be the cause?? i installed a update for my win7 by microsoft update today..

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Was there anything else. What did you have in the background? Any Antivirus? Any installations? Did a program prompt you to restart earlier? Is your version of Windows 7 activated? Did you have an infection before the restart?

Sorry for some many questions. Got to know more to help.

I don't know what part of MalwareTips this would go. Since it is not a virus removal (as far a I know).

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
nope! i use avast free from past 2 years with comodo D+...i checked the event logs nothing in there...and this is a absolute genuine and clean win7 and i never had this happening and only chrome was open:D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

My theories:

1- An application silently updated and installed itself and need a reboot, so no need to worry.

2- Like it happened to me, my computer shutdown by itself then everything works fine after, and 1 week later my power unit was dead...

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
My theories:

1- An application silently updated and installed itself and need a reboot, so no need to worry.
thats a good explanation ;)

umbrapolaris said:
2- Like it happened to me, my computer shutdown by itself then everything works fine after, and 1 week later my power unit was dead...
Now u are scaring me :shok:

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
can this be the reason?? i installed a windows update today and i didnt reboot the computer since it didnt tell me to??

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

It may be surely the reason, since Windows may do it automatically 4h after the update was installed. A popup appears after a while if you don't reboot by yourself, it ask you if you want reboot now, in 4h (checked by default if i remember), or later.

Upvote 0

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
malwarekiller said:
can this be the reason?? i installed a windows update today and i didnt reboot the computer since it didnt tell me to??

Usually when a Windows Update requires a reboot, it will prompt you in the bottom right hand corner for permission to restart. It's possible it decided not to ask and just rebooted anyway.

I presume you ran some AV scans after your computer rebooted?

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
It may be surely the reason, since Windows may do it automatically 4h after the update was installed. A popup appears after a while if you don't reboot by yourself, it ask you if you want reboot now, in 4h (checked by default if i remember), or later.

It didnt prompt me to reboot though after updating....I also found a piece of thick cloth blocking the fan vents down my laptop and I just moved it away and cleaned the vents :shy: and why should i run a AV scan??

I already ran hitman pro,MBAM and Norton power eraser last night and came clean [As always] and i did also run HMP and the todays incident and again green signal was given :D

Upvote 0

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
malwarekiller said:
I already ran hitman pro,MBAM and Norton power eraser last night and came clean [As always] and i did also run HMP and the todays incident and again green signal was given :D

What's with the paranoia then? everything has come back clean.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

malwarekiller said:
I also found a piece of thick cloth blocking the fan vents down my laptop and I just moved it away and cleaned the vents

Ah surely a safety reboot because the heat, so move on, no need to worry since you already did many scans.

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Tom172 said:
What's with the paranoia then? everything has come back clean.

Yeah! u can call me that...honestly i am real paranoid :lol:...but this was like a heartburn..i am the one who likes to bang their head for small small things...

so its like i am from the headbangers clan:dash1:

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

One question since out of nowhere reboots can be due to hardware failure: is your hardware performance the same as always? mainly Hard disk/graphics card/ram?

Upvote 0

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i did install same update today...but it didn't require me to restart the computer...so the issue must be something else...

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
biozfear said:
One question since out of nowhere reboots can be due to hardware failure: is your hardware performance the same as always? mainly Hard disk/graphics card/ram?
really?? i have nothing on this laptop no app no games almost empty...so its probably over-heating i guess

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Let's see, in what condition / climate do you use your laptop? Do you leave you laptop on a soft surface, what's the room temperature? etc

What about buying one of those laptop coolers?

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Earth said:
Let's see, in what condition / climate do you use your laptop? Do you leave you laptop on a soft surface, what's the room temperature? etc

At current point its summer here in india 37C is the temperature...And my laptop is on a wooden table :shy:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Your case his really similar to my power unit issue, the weather was really hot (Vietnam is near India), i was on a wooden table, and when i touched the area near the plug of my laptop, it was unusually hot.

Maybe you should, as said Earth, buy a external laptop cooler.

Upvote 0

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
Your case his really similar to my power unit issue, the weather was really hot (Vietnam is near India), i was on a wooden table, and when i touched the area near the plug of my laptop, it was unusually hot.

Maybe you should, as said Earth, buy a external laptop cooler.

Hi forum friends,I had some empty floppy disk cases from 2003 i using them to make gap on the bottom. :D

I will report in 24 hours how it is working out :shy:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.