SIM card lock
Protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Remote wipe
Yes
Security & Privacy Apps
1Password password manager
Bitwarden (trialling as alternate PWM to 1PW)
(also have Trend Micro Maximum Security Platinum Suite for Mobile but currently not installed as found it slowed some functions, looking at Malwarebytes in the interim)
Firewall & VPN Apps
Proton VPN (new, rarely used as yet)
Browser
Brave
Tor Browser
Safari (rarely used)
File and Photo backup
iCloud (Photos & Files - replicates to Desktop PC and some are then manually backed up to external drive if important or critical)
Proton Drive (only just about to start using on iPhone)
A few non-sensitive files also on OneDrive & Drop Box (Google Drive used too, but solely to share individual files externally).
Active subscriptions
    • Apple iCloud+ 200GB
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
Config of my current iPhone (note I also run an iPad Air with similar config). Welcome any feedback on improving performance and security - especially as past experience has been 3rd Party Security noticeably slows device, as does some VPN services I have tried in the past. Am looking to possibly discontinue my Trend Micros subscription (which currently covers our combined 2 PCs, 1 MacBook Laptop, and 3 of our 4 iOS mobile devices) and go a different way on the PCs, so looking to review options for my 3 Apple devices (and possibly partner's 2) - e.g. is a security app needed in iOS and macOS?

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Iphone 14 Pro. I've been using AdGuard Pro with DNS protection. I added one filter, OISD Big, and chose ControlD malware as my server. What I mean: you can pick the filters and the servers you want. And it doesn't slow down your phone.
Previously, I used NextDNS profile configuration. Still using it on my Ipad.

Last edited:

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
Also, consider to add SIM card lock protection with a PIN.

Hi @harlan4096 - I have tried 3 times over the last 5 years (2 different iPhones) but they always say unable to set/save the PIN (on the SIM).

What about using a PassWord Manager?

Yes I do - I have been actively using 1Password for about 5 years, and also have Bitwarden installed as I've been trialling that for a year or so as an alternate to 1PW. :)

(I will edit my spec post to include that)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Hi @harlan4096 - I have tried 3 times over the last 5 years (2 different iPhones) but they always say unable to set/save the PIN (on the SIM).

That behavior is quite strange 🤔 did You check if only accepting number and/or also letters and special symbols?

SIM pins usually only accepts 4 numbers I guess 🤔

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Since your phone supports it, you should just switch to eSIM, it is much safer when talking about sim-jacking.

Highlander-there-can-be-only-one-772376566.png

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
Thanks @Back3 and @poopdookie, not familiar with Adguard for iOS so will definitely look into that ASAP - appreciate the pointers...
It is pretty nice, a mobile pihole so to speak. They added quic compatibility pretty "quic"kly, there are limitations on list size depending on what model iphone you use, OISD big might be too much for some iphones. The amount of data the apps send in the background is alarming for me. DNS Security Pro app does some of the same things, but you can add it as a DNS profile in iOS so it is always on even if Adguard Pro gets toggled off due to you connecting to another VPN or toggling off temporarily and forgetting to turn back on.

• Thanks
Reactions: Mycenius

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
That behavior is quite strange 🤔

SIM pins usually only accepts 4 numbers I guess 🤔

Yeah I will recheck

Well it turned out it already had a PIN and I was having a moment :rolleyes: so I managed to do too many tries trying to 'change' the PIN and locked the SIM down! But at least it was easy enough to unlock with the PUK I had and reset it. So all enabled now.

I have updated my spec to reflect.

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
Since your phone supports it, you should just switch to eSIM, it is much safer when talking about sim-jacking.

Yes good point @TairikuOkami, in fact I do already have one eSIM in it (it's my work number) as I run dual sims. Will look into it more.

FWIW originally my provider for my personal number didn't do eSIMs (as only 1 of the 3 main mobile telcos in NZ did), but that was when I got the iPhone 12 Pro Max which was 3 years ago now (Dec 2020) so would expect that has changed (at least I'd hope so)...

Reactions: TairikuOkami

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
Apple iCloud Keychain is very good and secure. I use it in combination with Proton Pass. I use the paid version with double authentication.

Yes I used that previously but moved to 1Password about late 2019 as I wanted seamless transition between Apple & Microsoft environments. I previously used KeePass on PC separately from 1PW on iPhone & iPad (I had used KP for many years before I even had an iPhone). Once 1PW had a good Windows App and could use that seamlessly across iOS, macOS and Windows. I have been looking at Bitwarden also, as alternative but 1PW seems slightly better to me (and a bit slicker) at present despite cost and a couple of annoying minor issues. But I am due to re-evaluate soon.

I have had Proton Mail for a while but have only just started using Proton VPN and Proton Drive. I haven't looked at the Proton Pass at all so that may be an option going forward!

I did trial NordPass a year ago (as I was looking into using NordVPN) and although seemed okay had nothing unique or better compared to 1Password or Bitwarden at that time...

Reactions: Back3

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
It is pretty nice, a mobile pihole so to speak. They added quic compatibility pretty "quic"kly, there are limitations on list size depending on what model iphone you use, OISD big might be too much for some iphones. The amount of data the apps send in the background is alarming for me. DNS Security Pro app does some of the same things, but you can add it as a DNS profile in iOS so it is always on even if Adguard Pro gets toggled off due to you connecting to another VPN or toggling off temporarily and forgetting to turn back on.

Thanks @poopdookie, will definitely dig into that more as soon as I can. Always keen to have more visibility on what's happening in the background on any device ...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.