NakedSecurity Which web browser do you trust the most? [POLL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
We spend a lot of time with our web browsers, visiting the websites we use for some very important things like our banking, our email, and for our jobs.
And we also use them for some not so important things - or maybe just more personal things - like watching videos, web searches, social media, message boards, and more.

In that sense, the web browser could be considered one of the most important pieces of software most of us use on a daily basis, which is why a relationship of trust comes into play - we rely on our browser to secure our communications, data and privacy.

Last year, we asked you which web browser you trust the most, and we received a lot of interesting feedback from our readers. (You can see who won here.)

But it's been nearly 12 months, and we're wondering if your views have changed.

Our single-question poll, "Which browser do you trust the most?" is different from which browser is faster, cooler, more secure, or even which one you're currently using (you might use more than one).

So tell us what you think - who do you trust?

And if you want to let us know why, please leave a comment at the bottom of the article.

Source

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Opera by miles, but if i truly have to give a reply to this then its the browser we use at our work, it is by far the most secure and exploit/hack free browser in the world, as its specific made by our company and its only used by employees to navigate client data storage. And yes it can serve the net as well and does it flawless and fast.
But realistic Opera would be my choice, and Firefox ain't that bad actually.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Opera by miles, but if i truly have to give a reply to this then its the browser we use at our work, it is by far the most secure and exploit/hack free browser in the world, as its specific made by our company and its only used by employees to navigate client data storage. And yes it can serve the net as well and does it flawless and fast.
But realistic Opera would be my choice, and Firefox ain't that bad actually.
Are you talking about the new Opera based on Chromium or the old Opera that uses its own Presto engine?

Thanks. :D

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Google Chrome, but I agree with Fantasy, after all that happens in the world now who can you trust?

Tony :)

Well not to bash Chrome here, but why do you trust Chrome? as it certainly cannot be because of privacy? Because with chrome and all its addons your privacy means *bleeperdebleepbeelp* considering that chrome as a function will journal your info.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
"NakedSecurity browser" caught my eye!:p:D This is particularly fitting as I happen to be using using Midori browser (included as default) on the Manjaro linux open box OS, and something very new and strange to me.
Choosing between "Web browsers", while considering the meaning of the word "Trust" in conjunction with their use, also separates each of us into a dichotomy of directions & thinking.;) I agree with each of you and, like Tony, was about to honestly select my most frequently used browser choice, Chrome. This has become my new-er default browser replacing Firefox after coming to MT.
Today, this was before I became reminded upon reading n.nvt's comments, that "Trust" was the operative word, and once more I found myself second guessing my rationalized sense of security which may also be the main reason I therefore use security extensions, the very additions which "Incognito" disables in order to ensure my "privacy" and which I, in turn, re-enable in "Private Browsing" thus forfeiting privacy from developers in order to ensure fortifying privacies from websites. *rolls eyes*:p
To a degree, I have accepted my lack of invisibility, but it truly is only to a degree. Why else would I browse always in either Incognito or New Private Window sessions?;)
I believe this is also why I welcome additional, and only stable, updated browsers and, like now, I am truly feeling 'NakedSecurity' using Midori which neither allows the usual selection of smileys:) nor my "security (blanket)/privacy extensions" which is now serving as a further wake up call to reaquaint myself with the concept of (I hope) safer transparency.
So, which browser do I trust? It varies although when I began this post it was Chrome. Now, my "trust", it leans equally toward Pale Moon X64 & Cyberfox X64 which I use (portable versions with add-ons: Selfdestructing Cookies, DNTM, NoScript, Adblock Edge, & LastPass), followed by Chrome (portable with similar extensions), & then linux lubuntu Chrome (w/similar extentions), and linux Manjaro Midori (with no extensions save the built in Adblocker). Sadly, in the race involving privacy with security, I've found privacy & security have taken a back seat to a third, and more glamorous instant gratification, performance (with emphasis on security), while privacy is closer to being fantasy :( (not YOU, Fantasy!):D ...unless, of course, you are using n.nvt's work browser or are strong in The Force with protective Cats and common sense as is Littlebits!!!:p:D

Update: Oh yes, +1 to yigidos' removal of telemetry!!;) :):)

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
The old Opera as the Chromium is pretty much just as leak as chrome.
I really like the old Opera (Presto engine) but if they don't continue to keep it updated it will become full of vulnerabilities making it much less secure. Outside of the privacy issues on Google Chrome, I believe it is the most secure browser. Extensions can handle privacy issues if that is what users are concerned about. Still I prefer Mozilla-based browsers like Pale Moon and Cyberfox. I don't really like how Mozilla has made so many unnecessary changes and removed useful features from Firefox.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As explained by this screenshot, using IE11 on Windows 8.1.
upload_2014-7-20_9-31-57.png

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

Opera have all my trust, (even though it is difficult to have any trust in one program nowadays) and I'm certain Firefox is no longer a good browser (slow as hell, almost a privacy raper, and on) since a loooooong while (although Pale Moon is a very good product, just lacking of Australis design and HTTPSB/µBlock; as to Cyberfox it has some potential but I think it fails anyway due to lack of stability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.