Advice Request Necessity of having download manager

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I use Internet Download Manager Features: reliability, high speed, and 24h support and its paid software, I want to evaluate my reasons to use it.
I have both medium speed DSL and also high-speed internet. Sometimes I use one, sometimes for large file downloads for Windows download, I use the highspeed one.

One of my friends told me:
"Ok, so your DSL is really shitty. Download managers tend to make the problem worse on slow connections, because they usually establish more connections and it uses more bandwidth (control flow). But still, this shouldn’t happen, so your connection quality isn’t very good either."

Is this better to uninstall download manager and relay on the normal download manger that every browser has?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Well i use IDM for many years i had DSL now ADSL, when you download something via IDM that called "force download" which make your internet slow (DSL-ADSL), when you click any download link so IDM show up then click "Start Download'' then as you can see there is a Speed Limiter tab you can change to like 500KB or 1MB or whatever you want

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I mostly meant to know about reliability. Not using IDM or any other download manager software, and just normally downloading an application via browser, if the internet disconnects for a second, then the file will be downloaded correctly without download manager or not?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
If you already have IDM, keep using it. If you browse and download at the same time on slow/medium internet connection, IDM can take most of download speed and make browsing slow but you can limit IDM speed in that case. For high speed internet, it shouldn't be an issue.
I don't really need IDM myself nowadays because of internet quality going from bad to average/alright but since I have it, I keep using it. Its still better than browser's download manager. Its streaming video downloading capability is still better than any other extension or software I've come across.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I mostly meant to know about reliability. Not using IDM or any other download manager software, and just normally downloading an application via browser, if the internet disconnects for a second, then the file will be downloaded correctly without download manager or not?
I think you need to stick to idm or any other download manager in this case because the download will fail if the internet disconnects.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This one sums it up perfectly on what makes download managers extremely useful. By the way, check out the review too.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
definitely a yes for me but only in some situations:
- When you have a slow connection + you want to download large files
- When your browser (even with parallel connection enabled) is unable to get the best download speed

A download manager will significantly reduce download time. When the download speed is sufficient in the browser, I won't use a download manager

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If you already have IDM, keep using it. If you browse and download at the same time on slow/medium internet connection, IDM can take most of download speed and make browsing slow but you can limit IDM speed in that case. For high speed internet, it shouldn't be an issue.
I don't really need IDM myself nowadays because of internet quality going from bad to average/alright but since I have it, I keep using it. Its still better than browser's download manager. Its streaming video downloading capability is still better than any other extension or software I've come across.
Can I use it without having to install its browser addon?

Reactions: Protomartyr

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Today I had to download KB4559004 manually, and it was around 300MB. I downloaded with my LTE internet, but noticed at the end of download, it didn't fully finish it. I wasn't using IDM.
Then after it finished, and after double clicking on it, it gave an error. So, it means it wasn't fully downloaded, or it downloaded with error, right?

I tried again, and this time, it was done okay, and I could install it.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
A download manager (even if it's just an extension like Multithreaded Download Manager – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US) for Firefox) speeds things up when downloading from a site like YouTube that throttles downloads. I use one when downloading large files (Windows updates or Linux distros) on a poor connection.
I have started using this myself and have tested it and it does speed up the download! And no other software to install and NO spying!
I also love the feature of click the open file icon and it does't open the download folder, it actually (for me) unzips the file for me (since I use bandizip)! Saves some extra steps.

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
Depends on your needs but the short answer is probably not

Personally i'm using HTTP Downloader which i've found to be the lightest dl manager that i've tried

and there is Neat download Manager which is equally lightweight

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.