Need a free software like shadow defender for malware analysis

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Hey friends, I want to do some malware analysis for educational purposes,but as you know it involves running malware on the system.
I don't have the resources to use a vm (installing a vm results in unusable real and vm system) nor does i have the resources to buy anything like shadow defender.
So, i want a free software or maybe some giveaway of a software that could reliably protect from all sorts of malware,as i will also test ransomwares.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Toolwiz Timefreeze and Reboot Restore Rx are two alternatives to SD. The provisions of Reboot Restore look more appealing from a security point of view, with MBR protection and recovery from unbootable windows in case. No such specifics are mentioned in the description or FAQs of Timefreeze, though TF makes running multiple real/virtual OS simultaneously possible.
Reboot Restore Rx free:
Screenshot (1407).png
I would recommend the latter to be tried out first.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Timefreeze is free and work like SD.
Have you tried Timefreeze? If yes, do you know if it provides protection against MBR attacks and provides all-round virtualization like SD?
I think until it is tested with kinds of malware by people, some basic and unfavourable loopholes (if any) may not surface.
From what I've read, some earlier version of SD was not capable of reverting changes caused by variant of Crypto RW.

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Have you tried Timefreeze? If yes, do you know if it provides protection against MBR attacks and provides all-round virtualization like SD?
I think until it is tested with kinds of malware by people, some basic and unfavourable loopholes (if any) may not surface.
From what I've read, some earlier version of SD was not capable of reverting changes caused by variant of Crypto RW.
Tf does not protect all the partitioms,only the primary partition is protected against any modification,including MBR attacks.

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Toolwiz Timefreeze and Reboot Restore Rx are two alternatives to SD. The provisions of Reboot Restore look more appealing from a security point of view, with MBR protection and recovery from unbootable Windows in case. No such specifics are mentioned in the description or FAQs of Timefreeze, though TF makes running multiple real/virtual OS simultaneously possible.
Reboot Restore Rx free:
View attachment 157071
I would recommend the latter to be tried out first.
I am using and also have used reboot restore rx earlier too.But i am not totally satisfied with the product.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Tf does not protect all the partitioms,only the primary partition is protected against any modification,including MBR attacks.
If you run static malware analysis and reverse engineering decompiling code, then TF may be sufficient.
If you run dynamic malware analysis, then the best solution is a virtual machine completely isolated from the host system + a good VPN to protect your real IP from unauthorized malware access.
SD may be a solution but not the best.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.