Battle Need help deciding which AV to get next

xMomox

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 11, 2017
Hello, I am currently using Trend Micro IS as my laptop's AV and it will be expiring in about 2 weeks time and therefore would like some opinions regarding which AV should I subscribe to next. I have read reviews on the different AV products listed above but I can't seem to decide which is good for my laptop. Would appreciate any help in helping me decide which one to subscribe to next. Thank you.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Kaspersky is always a good option. Internet Security suite is usually what a regular home user needs. You'll have possession of System Watcher, Application Control, a decent firewall, great signatures, System Changes Control, Private Browsing, Network Attack Blocker, and more customizable security layers. I've found no problems with it, only significative resources consumption if you tweak for maximum security settings (which is not needed unless you're in dangerous enviroments).
This is my recommendation.

As for BitDefender i've only heard great things and you definitely cannot go wrong there.

Norton is another great piece of software. SONAR is almost unbeatable against other behaviour blockers.

Choose whatever suits your system the best.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If your laptop is a new one any of the products will perform very good.
If your laptop is old like mine then i suggest to go with Norton even though KIS and BIS latest versions are very light.
If you are satisfied with TM maybe you should stick with it.
When you know-understand how a security product works the better you can protect your self.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Have you tried the software you listed on your computer? I recommend you install their trial versions and then use your computer normally for at least one week to see how they behave.

Also I wouldn't go for the TS solutions unless you plan to use some feature only available in TS such as the password manager on Kaspersky TS.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
To choose that perfect antivirus depends on your browsing habits. If you practice safe browsing, then Windows Defender is good for you. If you still feel paranoid you can choose one among the freeware antiviruses like Avast. Again if you are still paranoid you can purchase a commercial one by following "Try before you buy" principle. Finally if you are still paranoid you can think of handing over your laptop/desktop to me, I'll keep it safe :D

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Impossible question to answer as everyone's going to give their opinion on what they think is better. Each product's also going to perform differently depending on what malware (if any) you run into; some may protect you, some may not. This is the problem with relying on reviews and/or tests as the results are only indicative of the exact samples used, although consistent protection over a long period does say something about a product's effectiveness as a whole.

As @mlnevese and @Bleak suggested, consider using the 30-day free trials offered by the vendors you're most interested in to see how each performs on your system.

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Strongly agree about the demo, because you know what? All the products listed above are pretty much equal in terms of protection of the system. Performance impacts/conflicts and bulk are the top consideration for me now because I've already done my homework on the product. Though it's not listed up there, Kaspersky Free was a lovely, feather light security but it left a hot mess after uninstallation, including its Secure Connection in Network Adapters. As a newcomer to imaging, I'm beginning to appreciate this more and more, believe me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.