Advice Request Need to know the best anti virus vendor by reputation (i.e. prefer US vendors compared to other vendors)??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

icarus

Level 2
Oct 29, 2021
I am a stock trader, so lot of financial transaction is done on my PC. I have come across info where lot of anti virus vendors have got into scandals in past:
  1. Avast AV was caught capturing all info on your PC and selling it to companies for targeted ads
  2. Kaspersky was suspected to be collaborating with russian govt and suspected to have passed on NSA files to russian intelligence
  3. Popular security extension web of trust (WOT) was caught capturing user info and selling it few years ago.
So more than effectiveness, my first priority now is reputation/integrity of anti virus vendors.

Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton are considered as top 3 anti virus vendors by several review sites. I am ruling out kaspersky for above reasons. I have not come across any allegation against bitdefender so far but it is eastern european based vendor. My guess is as Norton is US based, they would have to comply with much stricter privacy rules of US govt. (i know US govt is part of 5 eyes program but the average person may not need to be concerned about it)

Even though Bitdefender offers more security features (EX: isolated browser for financial transaction, etc) and is considered slightly more effective than Norton, iam thinking of going with Norton.

I would like to know if others have also had similar concerns? Also feel free to tell me your opinion if you feel iam being overly paranoid or overlooking something?
go with bitdefender because its total stuff you need its a real security suite with all things you need for youre daily work(FIREWALL)Don't fool ourselves with windows firewall is enough and best;) becausethat damn thing make me pay the price 3 month ago dont install a incomplete security suite because you must install too much other tools to make them real security software-choose one complete security software like bitdefender or any other top level with firewall. i choose avg ultimate on all of my office computers and work perfect also use good vpn for extra privacy for youre transactions.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
For years, I was on Eset, but this year, an antivirus company amazes me, and I fell on the kiff of their engine!

It is about... AVIRA ! <3

A big upswing when a few years ago it was pretty average, team F-Secure (which I use, and have grown to love) , team also BullGuard etc...
It's actually an antivirus I tend to recommend when people don't trust Microsoft Defender :D

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I found this from Forbes:

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
I mean... First, it's a business/enterprise list, not for home users. Second, they rated Avast and AVG QUITE differently. Which is... Interesting.

Third, and despite my dislike of Avast/AVG, the listing for AVG says:

Email Security? Yes

And then under pros/cons "Doesn’t include email protection"

OH, ok.

Simple fact is, this is simply a list aimed at generating revenue for Forbes through affiliate marketing. You buy through their links, they make money.

Also, feel free to laugh at the author's bio:

"Jacob Roach is a writer and technology enthusiast. He specializes in computing and small business software, lending his experience to sites like Digital Trends, Business Insider, and Cloudwards. You can follow him on Twitter @ManowarElves."

Sorry, I'm not taking business advice from ManowarElves.

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
OP mentions he's a stock trader, so I assume that even outside the office the PC is used in the same way as those in businesses. Second, it involves financial activities, which I why I decided to look at software recommendations from business magazines. That's basically it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.