Need to replace ZAM Free

gorblimey

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
My current setup is VoodooShield + WD for every-day protection, and ZAM Free beside MBAM Free for monthly scans. ZAM and MBAM are lit up to scan, then exited to stop the services when done. I have WIn7 HP x64 SP1.

Unfortunately, ZAM appears to be abandonware, and updates are not forthcoming. So, what is there? It is important that I can lift the hood and check the oil and water, so WD is not a contender. It is essential that whatever soft is recommended does NOT use Zemana's trick of random pathways and random filenames for updates. VS is set to silently kill any attempt to use %appdata\temp% or %Program Files%, so any soft should use its own folder for updates.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yeah just keep ZAM, only worry is that its very agressive so be careful with false positives

Its been half year that i submitted falses i had to them, and still not fixed

Norton Power Eraser is nice, i would also add ADWcleaner from MBAM if youre using their antimalware aswell

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Yeah just keep ZAM, only worry is that its very agressive so be careful with false positives

Its been half year that i submitted falses i had to them, and still not fixed

Norton Power Eraser is nice, i would also add ADWcleaner from MBAM if youre using their antimalware aswell
Agree with the above. Definitely use ADWcleaner if you wish. Use NPE if you know there is a threat on your system, NPE is very very aggressive compared to Zemana and the other on demand scanners that have been mentioned.

~LDogg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
RogueKiller is thorough but produces higher rate of false positives. It records "potentially unwanted modifications" which you are advised to review very, very carefully or even ignore. I have it on the system.plus HitmanPro (licensed) which you can just as well run unlicensed (free). Both, however, do install folders by default in C:\ProgramFiles.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Zemana.png

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
EEK is really great! I would highly recommend it to anyone. Norton Power Eraser (NPE) is another nice tool that has good results too. ADWcleaner is another good light program that I typically use on home/corporate environments.

Hope this helps you @gorblimey ! I would personally keep ZAM as an alternative as it is fairly light. Add EEK and or one of the others I recommended.

~Brian

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
alongside adwcleaner , you can also ad zhpcleaner wich also checks your system for pups , adware and other unwanted programs it does a great job and compliments adwcleaner perfectly. for on demand use mbam , zemana and eek and you are good to go!

My current setup is VoodooShield + WD for every-day protection, and ZAM Free beside MBAM Free for monthly scans. ZAM and MBAM are lit up to scan, then exited to stop the services when done. I have WIn7 HP x64 SP1.

Unfortunately, ZAM appears to be abandonware, and updates are not forthcoming. So, what is there? It is important that I can lift the hood and check the oil and water, so WD is not a contender. It is essential that whatever soft is recommended does NOT use Zemana's trick of random pathways and random filenames for updates. VS is set to silently kill any attempt to use %appdata\temp% or %Program Files%, so any soft should use its own folder for updates.

Because of the scanners are used only once per month, whatever scanner you use will add little to nothing to your security. Generally speaking, it is far more likely that WD will detect before you run the scans on the 30th day.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.