Battle Need your feedback before buying a new laptop.

Maximum budget (USD)
$800

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
As my current laptop is pretty outdated so I decided to buy a new one at first I selected an ASUS rog series laptop which was coming with I5 9th gen processor but I never play games on my laptop so I thought it will be a waste of power now I checked the famous thinkpad series luckily I found one within my budget but it has an AMD 3500u processor so how will it be to buy the Thinkpad one.
Here are the links to those laptops.

My budget is around 800$

Asus ROG
Thinkpad E495

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Both are good in my opinion. The ROG one would be more suited for gaming, whereas the Thinkpad would do less well with gaming, but would be more of a productivity machine. In the end, it really comes down to what you'll mostly be using it for

I mainly watch online contents and do some photo editing work as well as web development....but in future I want to do some 1080p video editing so which one will be better....

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i have a lenovo. they did not test it before they shipped it. there was a problem with it.

the asus has a bigger screen. i would go with the asus.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I have seen all kinds of Lenovo products around me going bad too quickly i.e. phones and laptops. So, I would suggest not to go with Lenovo.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Thinkpad series too?
Yes

My friends who's into pc repairing business also says the same, Lenovoes have been giving too much trouble.
You should actually ask some people around you who are using Lenovo products to make things sure.
Also its good to know how's the after sales service of the particular product. You can actually visit some local shops and ask them.

Reactions: Venustus and SUPRA

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
As my current laptop is pretty outdated so I decided to buy a new one at first I selected an ASUS rog series laptop which was coming with I5 9th gen processor but I never play games on my laptop so I thought it will be a waste of power now I checked the famous thinkpad series luckily I found one within my budget but it has an AMD 3500u processor so how will it be to buy the Thinkpad one.
Here are the links to those laptops.

My budget is around INR 56,816

Asus ROG
Thinkpad E495
I'd choose Thinkpad over Asus ROG in terms of reliability. Ryzen APU or CPU is not that slow when you have sustained CPU or GPU usage.
Anyway, I'd also suggest upgrading to SATA/NVMe SSD 250GB-500GB and dual channel RAM for improved performance.
AMD CPU and GPU works out of the box in Linux and you get access to undervolting tools etc.. on Linux and Windows.
Then again, most gaming laptop SW and driver supports end after 2 years or less and switch to security only release when there's a major exploit or bug while Thinkpad series are guaranteed to have atleast 3-4 yrs of SW and driver support and may even give drivers for older Windows and have great Linux support out of the box.
Taming a gaming laptop on Linux needs a little work though.

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
I'd choose Thinkpad over Asus ROG in terms of reliability. Ryzen APU or CPU is not that slow when you have sustained CPU or GPU usage.
Anyway, I'd also suggest upgrading to SATA/NVMe SSD 250GB-500GB and dual channel RAM for improved performance.
AMD CPU and GPU works out of the box in Linux and you get access to undervolting tools etc.. on Linux and Windows.
Then again, most gaming laptop SW and driver supports end after 2 years or less and switch to security only release when there's a major exploit or bug while Thinkpad series are guaranteed to have atleast 3-4 yrs of SW and driver support and may even give drivers for older Windows and have great Linux support out of the box.
Taming a gaming laptop on Linux needs a little work though.
So what about it's longevity. Will it last for 5 years?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
So what about it's longevity. Will it last for 5 years?
Even the oldest Thinkpad from Ivybridge did get Spectre BIOS updates and latest MEI FW whereas my Ideapad didn't get it eventhough the CPU is upgradeable. Even I tried copying uCode and other stuffs to no avail. I simply recommend Business laptops if you want to last more than 5 yrs.
Its not that non-business laptops doesn't last but reliability and endurance wise they can take much more abuse in the bag during airplane security check etc...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.