BootUSB for LinuxMint
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Fujitsy Desktop,Intel Core I5, 4GB ram, 232 GB HDD
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
It seems that domain is legitimate and belongs to Microsoft, but Kaspersky is detecting something wrong with its certificate.

Also I've found in this link that doain seems to be related to W10 telemetry "Spying": Here's how to Block Windows 10 "Spying" - Web Protection: Web Filtering & Application Visibility/Control - Sophos UTM 9 - Sophos Community
Yes it must be this.It's nice that Kaspersky blocks telemetry on windows 10,i have also seen this only with CIS.Thanks!:emoji_pray:

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Removed:KSCF
NanoAdblocker
CloudFlareDNS
Added:Voodooshield free (always ON) {WD Disabled}
Ublock Origin
CleanBrowsingDNS
EmsisoftBrowserSecurity
CheckpointSandblast Agent (for phising protection)
Privacy Possum
I really like KSCF but i want to try just VS standalone for a while or maybe for more!First thoughts,having only 4gb ram, i must admitt that my system now flying to the stars and beyond:ROFLMAO:Browsing at warp speed and boot time 10 seconds faster!Maybe i can live without an AV,considering i am safe.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Removed:KSCF
NanoAdblocker
CloudFlareDNS
Added:Voodooshield free
Ublock Origin
CleanBrowsingDNS
EmsisoftBrowserSecurity
CheckpointSandblast Agent (for phising protection)
I really like KSCF but i want to try just VS standalone for a while or maybe for more!First thoughts,having only 4gb ram, i must admitt that my system now flying to the stars and beyond:ROFLMAO:Browsing at warp speed and boot time 10 seconds faster!Maybe i can live without an AV,considering i am safe.
An interesting approach (y)
For me a no go because of connection issues prevented VoodooShield to work properly all-time.
Hope it works for you.

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Removed: Chrome
Add: Avast Secure Browser
Much impressed, very fast almost as Chrome but with many security features,banking mode,tracking protection,adblock same modes as Ublock,phising,malware and camera protection all included.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Removed: Chrome
Add: Avast Secure Browser
Much impressed, very fast almost as Chrome but with many security features,banking mode,tracking protection,adblock same modes as Ublock,phising,malware and camera protection all included.

Nice, lean setup. I can't imagine Windows Defender @ default settings would have much impact on your system. Have you considered Chromium Edge Dev version? Smartscreen protection + faster than Chrome, even faster than Brave. Lower memory usage than any other browser I've tried. Enable AppContainer in Edge: flags. Make sure VS has detected whatever browser you use as some have to be added through GUI>Web Apps>"Detect running web apps". Use uBO in Medium Mode (block 3rd party scripts & frames) for banking. Do this and you can throw Avast secure browser in the trash! :LOL:

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Nice, lean setup. I can't imagine Windows Defender @ default settings would have much impact on your system. Have you considered Chromium Edge Dev version? Smartscreen protection + faster than Chrome, even faster than Brave. Lower memory usage than any other browser I've tried. Enable AppContainer in Edge: flags. Make sure VS has detected whatever browser you use as some have to be added through GUI>Web Apps>"Detect running web apps". Use uBO in Medium Mode (block 3rd party scripts & frames) for banking. Do this and you can throw Avast secure browser in the trash! :LOL:
Thanks for your help, really really nice suggestions i will definitely consider!! The only thing I disagree is about Avast Browser, i like it! But i will try the new edge just waiting for the stable release.As for WD, tried it some times at recent past, but proved to be buggy, maybe now changed

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Once again changed my config:)
Removed:VS
That was hard to do, it was a very light config, very convienent for me.The reason,read some posts on internet, not a clever idea to run only Free VS cause if you allow a legitimate parent process with compromised child processes probably you will get infected, only in paid VS (in recent future i will certainly buy a license), you can untick this unless you have installed some programs like 7zip etc.Anyway, complicated situations are not for me, i prefer simple ones and clear mind i will not get infected!
Added:McAfee Internet Security
Grabbed a free 6 months license from Comss, a challenge because nobody here on MT is interested at McAfee products but it seems things changed, (latest reviews showing great test results).First thoughts, very light impact to my system (only 4gb ram) although many prosecess are runnning,about 2,5 to 4 mb ram,total about 60 mb almost like KSCF.Clean GUI but a little slow to open,browsing is very fast, better than using Avast or KSCF (Mcafee Web Advisor Included).I will share my thoughts after some time, hoping will stay safe :cool:

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Once again changed my config:)
Removed:VS
That was hard to do, it was a very light config, very convienent for me.The reason,read some posts on internet, not a clever idea to run only Free VS cause if you allow a legitimate parent process with compromised child processes probably you will get infected, only in paid VS (in recent future i will certainly buy a license), you can untick this unless you have installed some programs like 7zip etc.Anyway, complicated situations are not for me, i prefer simple ones and clear mind i will not get infected!
Added:McAfee Internet Security
Grabbed a free 6 months license from Comss, a challenge because nobody here on MT is interested at McAfee products but it seems things changed, (latest reviews showing great test results).First thoughts, very light impact to my system (only 4gb ram) although many prosecess are runnning,about 2,5 to 4 mb ram,total about 60 mb almost like KSCF.Clean GUI but a little slow to open,browsing is very fast, better than using Avast or KSCF (Mcafee Web Advisor Included).I will share my thoughts after some time, hoping will stay safe :cool:
Avast the last update use huge ram. New process aswEngSrv.exe

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Avast the last update use huge ram. New process aswEngSrv.exe
Yes, tried in the past Avast and KSCF but Mcafee seems to be the lightest of the three although it's internet security.Besides, UI is a little confusing and delayed to open, but pretty in the eye.In terms of protection, seems to be doing really well at latest tests, hope it will be!

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yes, tried in the past Avast and KSCF but Mcafee seems to be the lightest of the three although it's internet security.Besides, UI is a little confusing and delayed to open, but pretty in the eye.In terms of protection, seems to be doing really well at latest tests, hope it will be!
I've been impressed with the newer versions of McAfee internet security too. It is light and seems pretty solid protection wise too. I hope you enjoy using it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

i am also impressed, since it's a little bit inpopular compared to other suites, but so far so good!

I'm glad to hear it's working well so far! It's good to see them improving. Like Norton they had their dark past, but eventually Norton got out of it. McAfee took a little longer, but from what I've seen, it seems like they too are getting out of that funk.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.