Never Defragment an SSD

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
Defragmenting an SSD is a terrible idea, for several reasons:

The key benefit to SSDs is that they have virtually no seek time. Reading adjacent blocks of data is no faster than reading blocks that are spread out over the drive. Fragmentation does not affect SSD drive speed.

As I discussed in my SSD Remaining Drive Life article, SSD drives physically wear out as you write to them. Defragmentation software moves around all the files on your drive. Thus, defragmenting an SSD reduces its life span without giving you any benefits.

SSD drives deal with the limited lifespan of their memory cells by using wear-leveling algorithms. These algorithms take advantage of the fact that fragmentation does not affect the drive’s speed. They purposely fragment the drive so that its cells wear out evenly, even if you’re constantly overwriting a small set of files (e.g. database fiels) and never overwriting other files (e.g. operating system files).... Continue

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
although not a true defrag raxco does have something similar called ssd optimization in their perfectdisk pro. Still not fully convinced in its usefulness.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Raxco PD has its on algorithm. But it basically is a free space consolidation. I can confirm it is very useful (i have one SSD drive). Over time SSD drives loose their performance and not even trim and the rest of their implemented functions can save them from speed deterioration. RAXCO and O&O are the only two defragmentation programs that helped me gain back SSD performance. Both are excellent ... best two on the market.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Neno said:
Raxco PD has its on algorithm. But it basically is a free space consolidation. I can confirm it is very useful (i have one SSD drive). Over time SSD drives loose their performance and not even trim and the rest of their implemented functions can save them from speed deterioration. RAXCO and O&O are the only two defragmentation programs that helped me gain back SSD performance. Both are excellent ... best two on the market.

Interesting. New ssd will have features where ssd maintain their performance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.