Troubleshoot New adware won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infected operating system
Mac OS 10.14.2 Mojave
Infected device issues
I'm getting tons of notifications that "Malware is found" or "Your Mac is slow" or "Improve your Mac, click here" etc. At the top of the notifications it says P8 ADOPTIMISYTO CLUB. Googling that got me nowhere. I've tried Maware Bytes and Sophos scans both come back clean. But still with the notifications every 15 mins or so. Am I the only one with this?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Thomas,
This is not adware, it's basically just a site that tricked you into allowing its unwanted spam notifications. Lets remove this site from your browser:

For Safari:
Launch Safari and go to Safari > Preferences (or press Command-Comma). Click on the Notifications tab, find adoptimisyto.clu/ and remove it from the list.

For Chrome:
  1. In the top right corner, click on Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three vertical dots. When the drop-down menu appears, click on “Settings“.
  2. Chrome’s “Settings” menu should now be displayed, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced“.
  3. In the Privacy and Security section, click on “Content settings“.
  4. Click on “Notifications“.
  5. Find the adoptimisyto.club site and click the three vertical dots button next to it, then click on “Remove”.

Thomas Gapen

Thread author
Jan 18, 2019
Hello Thomas,
This is not adware, it's basically just a site that tricked you into allowing its unwanted spam notifications. Lets remove this site from your browser:

For Safari:
Launch Safari and go to Safari > Preferences (or press Command-Comma). Click on the Notifications tab, find adoptimisyto.clu/ and remove it from the list.

For Chrome:
  1. In the top right corner, click on Chrome’s main menu button, represented by three vertical dots. When the drop-down menu appears, click on “Settings“.
  2. Chrome’s “Settings” menu should now be displayed, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced“.
  3. In the Privacy and Security section, click on “Content settings“.
  4. Click on “Notifications“.
  5. Find the adoptimisyto.club site and click the three vertical dots button next to it, then click on “Remove”.
Thanks. Not found in Chrome but did find that in Safari.Even though it was set to "deny" I just deleted it. Hopefully that'll work.

Reactions: upnorth and Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks. Not found in Chrome but did find that in Safari.Even though it was set to "deny" I just deleted it. Hopefully that'll work.
Yes, it should work.
If you want you can also run a scan with Malwarebytes - Malwarebytes for Mac — Mac Antivirus Replacement. But like I've said your device is most likely clean.

There are a ton of malicious sites that use this "Show Notifications" tactic so avoid clicking "Allow" for these type of spammy sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.