Battle New: Avast 7 IS vs Comodo IS Pro 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
New producucts new question:
Avast 7 IS vs Comodo IS Pro 5.9.What is better now!?!

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
RE: New: Avast 7 IS vs Comodo IS 5.9

paid product vs freeware....

one that will be winning is always free product :)

New version of Avast has much more improvements but still i think Comodo has more strong firewall and better herustics engine than Avast

Nevertheless both of them are great security product in their own ways..:D

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

I'll reserve full comment until CIS 6 arrives in April.

However what i have seen in tests and talk on various security forum is that avast! is shaping up very nicely with Filerep/Sandbox and general blocking improvements.
avast's recent downturn was it's prevention and detection, now this appears much more solid.
mrxidus video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8jhWjGIn4
demonstrates avast! leaving lots of carnage but i believe these files were mainly adware apps and not truly malicious pieces of malware.
Maybe avast! will give Comodo a contest now, ONLY Time will Tell :)

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011

samit said:
paid product vs freeware....

one that will be winning is always free product :)

New version of Avast has much more improvements but still i think Comodo has more strong firewall and better herustics engine than Avast

Nevertheless both of them are great security product in their own ways..:D
Well, I changed!:biggrin:

Z

ZeroDay

As far as the firewall aspect goes it's comodo hands down every time, av and sandbox are another thing, but I too will reserve full comment until comodo 6 : )

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The good

Avast Internet Security 7 Pros
  1. Reputation technology which is very valuable due to avast's large community.
  2. User friendly - this is a product that is almost automatic and the rare pop-ups that the user has to answer have a 'Recommended' answer.
  3. Web Guard and Site advisor - very good poweful webguard which will stop almost all the threats that come via web page and a very reliable site advisort
  4. Very light on the system - users are reporting that this product doesn't slow down the systems.
  5. Safe enviroment banking option for the users who do online transactions.

Comodo Internet Security 5.9 Pros
  1. It's a free product
  2. Very high prevention rate due to it's Auto Sandboxing technology and strong HIPS
  3. Very good heuristic engine which is great against 0 day threats.
  4. Active cloud scan which analyzes the files in real time.
  5. Advanced taskmanager -Killswhitch is embedded in this product , a very useful feature for the more advanced users.

The bad
Avast Internet Security 7 Cons
  1. Paid product - 39,99 € 1PC/1Year
  2. Behavior blocker still needs some work.

Comodo Internet Security 5.9 Pros
  1. It's mostly geared towards advanced users who can truly enjoy this product.
  2. False positive can be present in it's detection.

How to chose between this two suites ;

Security Beginners/Newbies ; Avast Internet Security 7
Security Newbies to Medium users ; Avast Internet Security 7
Medium Users to Advanced Users ; Comodo Internet Security 5.9
Advanced users ; Comodo Internet Security 5.9

Nevertheless it's recommended that you try both suites to see which one fits you better as each of us have different habits while online.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Both CIS Pro and AIS are paid products, unless it was changed, as I think it was.

samit said:

Comodo was built-up from a Firewall and HIPS before Avast, so that's quite obvious.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

Earth said:
Both CIS Pro and AIS are paid products, unless it was changed, as I think it was.

Yes, CIS Pro is a paid product. However, it currently only costs $4.99 for a one year license.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

HeffeD said:
Yes, CIS Pro is a paid product. However, it currently only costs $4.99 for a one year license.
I also remember that at some point when I tried Comodo Internet Security and wanna it to uninstall it , COMODO prompted me to try a free 1 year trial for the PRO version.. Is this still a available option/

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast 7 is just doing well for improvements and enhancements, in the case of Comodo they have strong capabilities on Firewall, HIPS and even their AV with aggressive heuristics. So the verdict Avast may have some steps in order to be top over Comodo.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
It depends what kind of person you are; if you like "install & forget" than Avast is a better choice. It has improved and the sandbox is now more similar to comodo's sandbox which kicks in more frequent. But if you like to explore and learn the CIS the better choice.

CIS is my choice in any case; if it's right configured you have beast next to you that many cant stand against or matches it's power. From the moment I began to use CIS I began to learn new things regarding security

I also like COMODO Forums more than avast; comodo has a nice community and kinder peopler than avast. I know this because I am a member of both forums.

Try them out and you will eventually see which fits you best.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I haven't tried any of these ones yet, but I've heard rumors that Avast has a file detection system like Norton? Is this correct?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One of the fact from the newly features of Avast is that "FileRep" comes with Streaming Updates which is also same to Norton called "Pulse Updates" beside of Reputation Features.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Never seen the "FileRep" in action, and I'm having the issue of "Stream Updatings" not working across 3 computers, (all Windows 7, 1x64-bit (clean install) and 2x32-bit (upgrade over updater). Not sure what's causing this.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Earth said:
Never seen the "FileRep" in action, and I'm having the issue of "Stream Updatings" not working across 3 computers, (all Windows 7, 1x64-bit (clean install) and 2x32-bit (upgrade over updater). Not sure what's causing this.

Look at languy99 videos

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Comodo Internet Security requires too much manual maintenance.
Avast Internet Security would be a much better choice for most users.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.