Advice Request New Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018.8 GUI feedback

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
The majority of our customers is over 60. That being said, I agree. What would you like to see in its place or how do you think the settings button could be made more useful? Would adding shortcuts to specific sections do the trick?
I think you have all other possible shortcuts there so maybe switch settings button with the quarantine one like it used to be. The gui improved a lot, mostly the bottom part, so there is no point in doing changes so that you have changes.
Obviously, that is my personal opinion but you guys can think about usefulness of each component on the main gui.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Full cloud based pls? :emoji_pray::D
It's probably unlikely that we will go "full cloud". The reason being, that it has a whole bunch of disadvantages. The most glaring one: What if you don't have internet? And while it easy to say, that if your internet doesn't work, you aren't at risk of being infected, it is completely neglecting the fact, that just because you can't reach the cloud servers, doesn't mean you can't reach anything else. It's trivial to simply add some Windows Firewall Rules to block communication with the cloud servers really. People do it all the time to block Windows from talking to the Microsoft telemetry servers. A lot of cloud AVs also conveniently ignore anything that isn't a PE file. So that script that blocks cloud access via Windows Firewall and then downloads and runs the extra malware becomes undetected by design.
That being said, while full cloud is not really an option right now, more cloud certainly is. ;)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
@Fabian Wosar
I like the new interface.It's refreshing, but it needs a few tweaks.

My main issue with this interface is that there are too much written stuffs and words.

1-"Your computer is protected by Emsisoft-Antimalware" should simply be "Protected" or "You are protected"

2-On the Protection tab, anti-ransomware should be removed.Anti malware implies that the product protects angainst all malware families to date.

3-On the Scan&Clean tab, quarantine should be removed. Quarantine is for review and some kind of advance management such as restoring and so on.It's not needed immediately.

4-The Setting tab symbol, the big "wheel" i would replace it with 2 or 3 little or small ones. Aesthically it would be nicer.

5- "your license ends in...", i would remove it. 60 days before your license expires,you get a few notification in the Ui would be better, as an example.Then the person would check in the license management tab, in settings what he wants to do.

6-I personally would also remove the "2003-2018 Emsisoft Ltd About" and continue the seperation line . It can be put somewhere in settings for example.

7-The notification bell on the lower left i would put it on the top right, to the left of the minimize icon.Not too close, not too far. It's also black on white, so it would fit well there.

8- It would also be nice if the sidebar could be hidden, for those who want it.

Hope this helps.Continue with the good work

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Here are some more screenshots. I resized the window to get as much of it into one shot as possible.

1535627997023.png

1535628022177.png

1535628042366.png

1535628077760.png

1535628181790.png

Attachments

• 1535627978317.png
    1535627978317.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 372

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
The other issue is that a lot of our users are very privacy conscious. Doubling down on our own technologies will mean that we ultimately have to become more invasive when it comes to telemetry and the data we collect on our users' systems, which would include reporting of files we haven't seen before, automated file submissions, collection of behaviour data of all the applications running as well as much more frequent cloud checks. While this isn't anything other products including Windows Defender already do, it may not jive particularly well with our current customer base.

That means, if I understood it, that you're piggybacking on the telemetry of BD's users. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but... It does sound weird.

Reactions: AtlBo and vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The reason why it is an adjunct isn't lack of resources at all. It's because there is literally no point in doing it right now. Wasting the user's resources and increasing memory usage dramatically just so that there are more detections by our engine instead of Bitdefender's is kinda pointless. That doesn't mean that if we were to drop Bitdefender we couldn't keep up with samples.
Signature creation at any AV company is heavily automated. Essentially you throw a bunch of malicious files and a large amount of non-malicious files into a system and it spits out signatures that match the malicious files, but do not match the non-malicious files in most simplest terms. There is no manual labour involved and hasn't been in like the last 10 years at the very least.

Yup, I am somewhat aware of how AV signatures are generated, YARA rules, etc.

However it still requires significant resources to validate proper datasets are being fed as well as quantification of those datasets. Fortinet has about 150 engineers (making $70,000.00-$115,000.00 a year each) dedicated to that task alone, which is why Fortinet signatures are fairly well regarded. The primary focus being AV detection on the gateway requiring a bit more relevant samples with some direct analysis. Still, doing it right does require resources, which is why so many firms license other engines.

Also, I really wish you guys would address your outdated licensing schemes. Family packs are missing. Combo device packs are missing. Even the other boutique suite (G Data) has a 5+5 multi-device pack now. Emsisoft is prohibitively expensive for me to recommend it to people anymore when other solutions are nearly as protective, and cost much less.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
@Fabian Wosar, I like the way the UI looks. Just wondering if this might be a graphical error down below. Not sure what it means next to Quarantine. Does the 5123 mean i should have that amount of items in quarantine? If so, well i do not as you can see. This was installed on a clean VM with Windows 10.

2018-08-30_9-57-44.png

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Don't you dare question my Paint capabilities!! This is my GUI :p

View attachment 196912

I like your version of the UI with the 3 buttons but the "Everything is GREAT" reminded me of what Tony the Tiger would say in Frosted Flakes commercials and on the front of Frosted Flakes boxes. IMO i feel the text is not needed at the top at all. Just spread what you have on the front around a little more. Even spacing. Nice and clean. Good job in paint regardless :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I like your version of the UI with the 3 buttons but the "Everything is GREAT" reminded me of what Tony the Tiger would say in Frosted Flakes commercials and on the front of Frosted Flakes boxes. IMO i feel the text is not needed at the top at all. Just spread what you have on the front around a little more. Even spacing. Nice and clean. Good job in paint regardless :)
LOL

Well, we can change the "Everything is GREAT" for one of the following:

-Hey, everything seems to be working smoothly
-Sup m8 no virus here
-LOL pls dont check active processes
-I think you're clean but can't tell?
-IDK run Zemana and see
-Your fault, use Linux
-AAAAAAAAA INFECTION DETECTEEEEEEEEEEED BURN EVERYTHING THAT MOVES!

rsonic

Level 2
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Don't you dare question my Paint capabilities!! This is my GUI :p

View attachment 196912

Change everything and I'll throw money at the screen.

Most likely I'm missing something here. But what do BD users have to do with Emsisoft?

Well, he said Emsi can't fully develop an engine because that would require increasing telemetry, so they use Bitdefender, which takes the telemetry for development; so, sort of outsourcing the stuff.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
LOL

Well, we can change the "Everything is GREAT" for one of the following:

-Hey, everything seems to be working smoothly
-Sup m8 no virus here
-LOL pls dont check active processes
-I think you're clean but can't tell?
-IDK run Zemana and see
-Your fault, use Linux
-AAAAAAAAA INFECTION DETECTEEEEEEEEEEED BURN EVERYTHING THAT MOVES!

I think in this order would be awesome.

When the system is clean EAM shows = Sup m8 no virus here

When EAM is not too sure = I think you're clean but can't tell?

When EAM knows your infected = Your fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.