New free antivirus in town: Baidu Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Something ain't right in this piece of AV.

LOLOL

I ran it and I have some Chinese woman talking in my ear. LOL
Just teasing.

Old rogue + Avira engine = grayware at best

I really don't think it is an old rogue, but you get my point.

Hey Biozfear,

Are you going to have to use KBRD to remove it??? LOLOL

P

Plexx

Gnosis said:
Something ain't right in this piece of AV.

LOLOL

I ran it and I have some Chinese woman talking in my ear. LOL
Just teasing.

Old rogue + Avira engine = grayware at best

I really don't think it is an old rogue, but you get my point.

Hey Biozfear,

Are you going to have to use KBRD to remove it??? LOLOL

First removal via control panel failed and froze my system. Restarted and av was still launched on startup but suddenly the window disappear, process gone and there goes the system again.

Had to attempt to install it again after 4 restarts, then run iobit and manually search every single entry in registry and also remove leftover folders.

That is why I do not like beta softwares.

On a side note: Mamutu went nuts the moment the installation on first try was done. Trojan and Spyware activity were being monitored after I allowed it.

kelton

Verified
Dec 28, 2012
I tried it for a few minutes along Emsisoft AM and Comodo FW this morning. They ran together (with mutual exclusions) fine, but I think it isn't great as Kingsoft was. I tried it against eicar test file and some downloaders recognized as malware, and it failed. I realised that I was better only with Emsisoft and Comodo.

I uninstalled it without any problem. It left 3 autorun entries and files (they were drivers, if I can remember). I found it with Comodo autorun analizer and carefully deleted the entries and respective files. After that, I removed the folder it left (with only one update log file) on "program files" folder.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
First removal via control panel failed and froze my system. Restarted and av was still launched on startup but suddenly the window disappear, process gone and there goes the system again.

Had to attempt to install it again after 4 restarts, then run iobit and manually search every single entry in registry and also remove leftover folders.

That is why I do not like beta softwares.
GRAYWARE

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
its on beta stage , and kingsoft and Baidu decided to make antivirus on just January, [read on my previous post on page 2], may be that's why it has so many bugs, let wait for final release,

P

Plexx

tapoo said:
its on beta stage , and kingsoft and Baidu decided to make antivirus on just January, [read on my previous post on page 2], may be that's why it has so many bugs, let wait for final release,

You may go ahead and wait for a final release. I ain't touching this software for a long time.

Rather stick to common known ones instead.

Personal choice: ain't going to be a guinea pig.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ i will not going to use that one, just wanna see some video test review of Final version, i also want to stick with some well known antivirus company, no reason for using that one, there are plenty free reputed antivirus option is available.....

Dashke

Level 1
Feb 3, 2012
They really look alike. :)
And both have Avira's engine.

baidu.png

kingsoft.png

coranti malware

Verified
Feb 3, 2013
In order to compete with Qihoo's anti-virus software, Baidu announced in December 2012 that it will raise ~$1.5 billion in the form of bonds to make strategic acquisitions. It intends to acquire Kingsoft Internet Security (KIS), the third largest anti-virus software provider in China with ~150 million users. By including Kingsoft's security features in its searches, Baidu would improve the level of safety in its searches and with Kingsoft's wide product range, which includes Kingsoft Antivirus, Kingsoft Security Defender, Cheetah Browser and Kingsoft Mobile Defender, the company will be able to expand its distribution channel. Along with this KIS will also help Baidu to improve the user privacy issues which will in turn increase the traffic share.

Source Here
http://beta.fool.com/madhudube/2013/01/23/3-promising-internet-stocks-2013/22021/

Kingsoft AV is Dead they just forgot to tell the users

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Good post.
So maybe while I have some fun cracking on it a little now, it could be a whole other story in a couple of years.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
Baidu was founded in 2000 by Internet pioneer Robin Li..

Baidu, literally means “hundreds of times”, representing a persistent search for the ideal
it's obvious they aint got it right yet so as the name says Persist on! I said persist lol

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It will be good to have another free antivirus but I seriously doubt that this will have any effect on the global AV market, however could become very popular in the Chinese market.

Thanks.:D

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
KingSoft AV is used by about ~150 million users and MOST OF THEM of course in Asia especially China ...

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
MrXidus said:
Notice it says "Net-Worm.Win32.Kido.ih"

Avira VirusTotal result:

AST13fK.png

Not the same, So instead I looked down the list of other vendors to see if I could find a prefix that matches the same as the one displayed in Baidu Antivirus 2013.

Kaspersky VirusTotal result:

Uf6cWsm.png

I'll let you wonder what it means.

:sleepy:
I have read rumors that Baidu uses both Avira and Kaspersky. :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Sammo said:
MrXidus said:
Notice it says "Net-Worm.Win32.Kido.ih"

Avira VirusTotal result:

AST13fK.png

Not the same, So instead I looked down the list of other vendors to see if I could find a prefix that matches the same as the one displayed in Baidu Antivirus 2013.

Kaspersky VirusTotal result:

Uf6cWsm.png

I'll let you wonder what it means.

:sleepy:
I have read rumors that Baidu uses both Avira and Kaspersky. :)

An explanation for the Kaspersky previx is what I'm interested in finding out right now, Either they're legally using a technology by them or it's another one of those "IObit stealing Malwarebytes signatures" scenarios. /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.