New member configurations

Vishva

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2015
Adguard Premium v5.10.1190.6188 Paid already done as advised !

Actually 360 AV v5.0.0.5103 Free (with firewall) works better then UAC with one package, which will notify me about almost every thing including but no limited to all uploads and downloads. changes to registry, traffics that comes in and go out, suspicious software behaviour and the list seem never ending.

And my bad, forgot to mention that i am using 360 security guards v10.0.0.2001 as well which can blend in with 360 AV v5.0.0.5103 Free (with firewall) very well.

I wish to thank every one of you for your nice inputs !

The above configurations is the rough guide of what I am having and using now but suggestions are most welcome in order to improve on it.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Backup and Recovery Checked!
On demand scanner well quite enough (Checked!), you may add another like HerdProtect or Hitman Pro
Just a bit coccern on the extensions you used, try to add like HTTPS Everywhere and an adblocker like Adguard which equals optimized performance. ;)

Overall great configuration. :D

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
My advice is not to use Advance System Care, it creates more problem than it solves, WinRAR is more than enough, you can keep 7zip if you want, others file achievers & compression tools are not required, let your system breathe freely. Do rethink about disabling UAC. This is what i think.
Nice config, can be improved. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your configuration with us, Vishva. @jamescv7 pointed out some strong aspects of your config. which I liked seeing.:) I agree with @scot, & hope you shall consider setting UAC even to 'default' which I prefer. It will notify you only when programs make changes, but not when you make changes to your system's settings. It works silently much of the time. I do admire your backup capabilities as @frogboy aptly observed.

Using an adblocker extension is a good practice. Do you use one for Waterfox x64?o_O With Palemoon x64 I'm using Adblock Latitude.
Opera & Chrome can each use equally outstanding adblockers, either ublock or Adguard.

For added privacy, in Waterfox under privacy set to "Never remember history".
For more secure browsing, the extension to block Java script vulnerabilities can be directly downloaded from it's developer:
The uMatix extension is a blocker which operates similarly, but offers the user illustrative control, and is available for both Opera & Chrome.

In Opera go to settings: Privacy & security, then under
Cookies:
  1. Mark the circle "Keep local data only until I close my browser".
  2. Check mark the box "Block third-party cookies & site data".

In Chrome find it's similar options under settings >> scroll to the bottom to
Advanced settings, then under Privacy: *repeat steps 1 & 2 as above.

LastPass is a free extension that uses encryption security while keeping your passwords safer & easier to manage.

I

illumination

With the exception of these two " Encryption Toolkit Suite AIO Paid, CCleaner Giveaway" i would get rid of the rest of those in your "privacy software" section. Those type of utilities are destructful to the system and really not necessary.

I would also enable UAC as it is an important part of your systems protection "no matter how annoying"..

Other then, looks good "especially the back up solutions in place" :)

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Why the need for all those multiple optimizers, backup, or archiver programs, there is no need for all of them except for some tool for junk cleaning, It looks to me that you are chasing giveaways just to have program installed on your PC.

Try them all and keep one of them that suits you best and uninstall others. If you have large number of start-up programs it will slow down your computer. My suggestion is to use free and portable version of programs.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Why the need for all those multiple optimizers, backup, or archiver programs, there is no need for all of them except for some tool for junk cleaning, It looks to me that you are chasing giveaways just to have program installed on your PC.

Try them all and keep one of them that suits you best and uninstall others. If you have large number of start-up programs it will slow down your computer. My suggestion is to use free and portable version of programs.
Not sure you can have to many backup software but two should enough to be sure you can restore system. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Enable UAC
I would also suggest getting rid of the privacy softwares except for Encryption Toolkit Suite AIO & CCleaner
Looks good!! Thanks for sharing your config :)

Vishva

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2015
It is good to see someone backing up there PC well done. :) There is no better protection. :D

Not sure you can have to many backup software but two should enough to be sure you can restore system. :)

Thank you very much for your nice inputs !
It's always good to have a good back up, and so far so good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My advice is not to use Advance System Care, it creates more problem than it solves, WinRAR is more than enough, you can keep 7zip if you want, others file achievers & compression tools are not required, let your system breathe freely. Do rethink about disabling UAC. This is what i think.
Nice config, can be improved. Thanks for sharing with us.

Advance System Care some times work wonders, but yes, not every time !
Think i would be keeping only Ashampoo ZIP Pro v1.0 Paid (incorporating compression, encryption, virtual drives and cloud uploading into a single well-rounded blend package), WinRAR v5.01 Paid, 7zip v9.38, Haozip v5.0.1.9923.
Actually 360 AV v5.0.0.5103 Free (with firewall) works better then UAC with one package, which will notify me about almost every thing including but no limited to all uploads and downloads. changes to registry, traffics that comes in and go out, suspicious software behaviour and the list seem never ending.
And my bad, forgot to mention that i am using 360 security guards v10.0.0.2001 as well which can blend in with 360 AV v5.0.0.5103 Free (with firewall) very well.

Thank you for sharing your configuration with us, Vishva. @jamescv7 pointed out some strong aspects of your config. which I liked seeing.:) I agree with @scot, & hope you shall consider setting UAC even to 'default' which I prefer. It will notify you only when programs make changes, but not when you make changes to your system's settings. It works silently much of the time. I do admire your backup capabilities as @frogboy aptly observed.

Using an adblocker extension is a good practice. Do you use one for Waterfox x64?o_O With Palemoon x64 I'm using Adblock Latitude.
Opera & Chrome can each use equally outstanding adblockers, either ublock or Adguard.

For added privacy, in Waterfox under privacy set to "Never remember history".
For more secure browsing, the extension to block Java script vulnerabilities can be directly downloaded from it's developer:
The uMatix extension is a blocker which operates similarly, but offers the user illustrative control, and is available for both Opera & Chrome.

In Opera go to settings: Privacy & security, then under
Cookies:
  1. Mark the circle "Keep local data only until I close my browser".
  2. Check mark the box "Block third-party cookies & site data".
In Chrome find it's similar options under settings >> scroll to the bottom to
Advanced settings, then under Privacy: *repeat steps 1 & 2 as above.

LastPass is a free extension that uses encryption security while keeping your passwords safer & easier to manage.

Adguard Premium v5.10.1190.6188 Paid already done as advised !
Waterfox is a 64-bit version of Firefox and yes it's set to "Never remember history" !
As for surfing encryption security, i am using PasswordBox Meet True Key™ Paid (with its patent-pending 1-Tap and 1-Click login) for passwords, very safe & easy to manage.

After what you have told my colleagues, I would only add PrivaZer. It works fine with Ccleaner and really clean your computer.

I will seriously look into the possibilities of having it.

With the exception of these two " Encryption Toolkit Suite AIO Paid, CCleaner Giveaway" i would get rid of the rest of those in your "privacy software" section. Those type of utilities are destructful to the system and really not necessary.

I would also enable UAC as it is an important part of your systems protection "no matter how annoying"..

Other then, looks good "especially the back up solutions in place" :)

As for "privacy software" section, yes agreed, i think i would be keeping only GiliSoft #1 Encryption Toolkit Suite AIO Paid, CCleaner Giveaway.

Ya, i do chase giveaways but not just to have those programs installed on my PC but also to test and compare their functions and effectiveness so called.(Since i could save my pocket, why not? )
So in my case, lots of unnecessary start-up programs are in "hibernation" until i need to run them.
Portable version of programs are good but a bit troublesome cos i a bit lazy, ha ha, sorry.

I agree with the suggestions made by members and especially with @illumination
suggestion
Thanks for sharing your config

As for "privacy software" section, yes agreed, i think i would be keeping only GiliSoft #1 Encryption Toolkit Suite AIO Paid, CCleaner Giveaway.

Good security configuration add Zemana Antimalware for maximum protection.
There are too many optimization tools that can destroy your system.
One but good.

Enable UAC
I would also suggest getting rid of the privacy softwares except for Encryption Toolkit Suite AIO & CCleaner
Looks good!! Thanks for sharing your config :)

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.