Linux
Fav. Antivirus
avast
Fav. Videogame
na

Zeke Allen

Thread author
Jul 8, 2015
Running Mac OS X Lion, Safari locked up by update.downloadvault.net – so I can't get to Safari prefs to delete the extension. Avast says my firefox is compromised, but I can't use Safari to reinstall new Firefox. I've had to move to my user partition on my wife's computer to sign in here; Firefox on my computer won't show the captcha verification; other weird browser malfunctions. Help?

D

Deleted member 178

welcome aboard Private ! yes we are at war !!!

dont forget to create your thread here and get tremendous advices from veterans

:D

Reactions: MalwareT

Zeke Allen

Thread author
Jul 8, 2015
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips :) Have you tried to fix it with CCleaner for Mac (has extension manager) and also scan with AdwareMedic ?

You can download trial of CCleaner for Mac here

Thanks for suggestions. I used adwaremedic, didn't fix it. Ran the trial ccleaner (saved cookies), didn't fix it. I did not see any sign of an "extension manager" – maybe only in the paid version? Another weird development, now Firefox is reporting "invalid certificate" for every good website I go to, google news, weather.com, mozilla.org, whatever. Whew!

M

MalwareT

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_uninstall.png
Go under startup and you'll see a tab called Safari/Firefox,choose addon that you wanna delete and click on delete button ;)

Zeke Allen

Thread author
Jul 8, 2015
View attachment 65203 Go under startup and you'll see a tab called Safari/Firefox,choose addon that you wanna delete and click on delete button ;)

Nope. The attachment scrseenshot shows CCleaner Pro, and set for Uninstall, not Startup. In the free version, anyway, there is no tab under Startup for Safari/Firefox. Maybe I should shell out for CCleaner Pro. BTW, yes, my system date is right; and Firefox has now stopped telling me website certificates are invalid. Still strange.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nope. The attachment scrseenshot shows CCleaner Pro, and set for Uninstall, not Startup. In the free version, anyway, there is no tab under Startup for Safari/Firefox. Maybe I should shell out for CCleaner Pro. BTW, yes, my system date is right; and Firefox has now stopped telling me website certificates are invalid. Still strange.
Why don't you post your security configuration here http://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/ and this can be discussed further since members will have your config to reference. This is just a basic introduction thread.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. I hope you enjoy your time here in our forums. :)

This a good place to be. ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Try unchecking "Scan HTTPS" under WebShield of Avast for Firefox prob.
HTTPS Scan of Avast has given the Firefox/browsers prob you have mentioned & other probs to many users.
Unchecking HTTPS Scan solves the issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello and welcome to the community! :)

Anyway seems you are probably infected of an adware based which highly follow the steps as provided by MalwareTips <--- (click the link)

Zeke Allen

Thread author
Jul 8, 2015
Try unchecking "Scan HTTPS" under WebShield of Avast for Firefox prob.
HTTPS Scan of Avast has given the Firefox/browsers prob you have mentioned & other probs to many users.
Unchecking HTTPS Scan solves the issues

Thanks for the tip. After the last Avast scan I deleted the Firefox user profile folder and ini file, then restarted Firefox, and the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.