Question New system questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
The 4060Ti may suffice, yes.
(Although I'd advise you to go for Radeon, since you've chosen AMD as your processor).

I'm not sure I should do that; the only Radeon they have is the Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB. That's $950 more. Are there any other builders you'd recommend?

• Wow
Reactions: simmerskool

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I'm not sure I should do that; the only Radeon they have is the Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB. That's $950 more. Are there any other builders you'd recommend?

Don't they have others?
If not, try a 4060Ti if you can't find any others.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Well, now my interest is piqued. Who thinks the GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12GB is worth the $400 increase over the GeForce RTX 4060-TI?

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Simple math: pick the two games you play most

Devide frames rate with price. Best price/performance ratio gets the deal when frame rates are above 70 fps

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Sorry to keep bothering everyone, but I could use some thoughts on this new configuration. I've changed the CPU to the i9. Based on what I've read, it seem the cost increase in worth the it for performance increases. Plus I figure why not get the best I can and not regret what I could have gotten. Is the power supply going to be enough?

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Sorry to keep bothering everyone, but I could use some thoughts on this new configuration. I've changed the CPU to the i9. Based on what I've read, it seem the cost increase in worth the it for performance increases. Plus I figure why not get the best I can and not regret what I could have gotten. Is the power supply going to be enough?

The power supply will suffice, but why an i9? A good i7 or Ryzen 7/9 may suffice (after all, it all depends on what you want to do).

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Well I submitted my order. It might take a while; they're backlogged ATM. But, I'd glad for Digital Storm. The system I was able to get there I couldn't fine elsewhere. The 20TB secondary mechanical drive was no where else, nor the noctua heatsink.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Processor: Intel Core i7-14700KF (5.6 GHz Turbo) (28-Thread) (20-Core)
3.4 GHz (14th Gen)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to
3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 64GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB <
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 990 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (20TB Seagate Exos) (Enterprise)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12GB (VR Ready) Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (Extreme Performance)
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Well I submitted my order. It might take a while; they're backlogged ATM. But, I'd glad for Digital Storm. The system I was able to get there I couldn't fine elsewhere. The 20TB secondary mechanical drive was no where else, nor the noctua heatsink.
fwiw, I like my aging digitalstorm, originally had liquid cooling, but at some point that crapped out and installed very high end heat sink cooling fan, but I have to hunt a little to dig up brand & model as that was a few years ago.... found it, I think, Noctua NH-D15 with 2 fans circa 2019. Been working great since May 2019.

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
fwiw, I like my aging digitalstorm, originally had liquid cooling, but at some point that crapped out and installed very high end heat sink cooling fan, but I have to hunt a little to dig up brand & model as that was a few years ago.... found it, I think, Noctua NH-D15 with 2 fans circa 2019. Been working great since May 2019.

The Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black came highly recommended by most everyone at digital storm's forum, way more than any liquid cooling. That surprised me. It makes sense though, since liquid cooling can stop working and you'd never know. Plus those systems are expensive to replace. This new system I ordered will have 6 quite fans + the Noctua NH-D15.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Noctura, a wonderful heatsink cooling fan. My more modest version has been performing wonderfully for the last 11 years.
noctura.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black came highly recommended by most everyone at digital storm's forum, way more than any liquid cooling. That surprised me. It makes sense though, since liquid cooling can stop working and you'd never know. Plus those systems are expensive to replace. This new system I ordered will have 6 quite fans + the Noctua NH-D15.
When I started "overheating" with the liquid system, it was out of coolant! o_O I added or replaced 2 fans when installed Noctua (bought at newegg) I'm counting 3 fans in the case.
EDIT I should or could pay more attention to the hardware, but it just always seems to be running fine, so rarely check temps, fan speeds etc after seeing baselines after installing the Noctua.

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
When I started "overheating" with the liquid system, it was out of coolant! o_O I added or replaced 2 fans when installed Noctua (bought at newegg) I'm counting 3 fans in the case.

Yeah, see that's a no-go for me. I guess liquid cooling is never no maintenance like they say it is.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.