new user's config

Config?

• You Have good config (after firewall and avast)

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • You Have a bad config (after firewall and avast)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should get a HIPS with your firewall

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • You have an Okay Config

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
I have Common Sense and am an Advanced User. Avast + firewall + Secure Browser is all it takes. Anyways I use Linux way more then Windows.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Will be a good config once you replace McAfee, as for the firewall, here are a few I know of...

Online Armor - http://www.online-armor.com/products-online-armor-free.php

PC Tools Firewall - http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

ZoneAlarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

I'm not sure which one of these have HIPS since I never tried them, but I guess you can figure it out on your own ;) Also I still think you could use WOT, since it'll come in handy plenty of time., As for linux, it's pretty secure on it's own so no worries about that.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I used to use Online Armor Free. It is good. It is a fun program to learn too.

I like how you use Firefox with ABP. It is simple and effective.

Add HitMan Pro to your on-demand list. You can keep Spyware Blaster if you like. I used to use it.

Avast Free is all the rage. I prefer Avira Free, however.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
No HIPS. I highly recommend OA.

HIPS is a pain. It is more trouble than it is worth, IMHO.

I have been without a firewall for over a year, other than the crappy one that is with XP.

Relative to our discussion, I utilized Avast Free with OA Free and they worked fine together.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hi ZOU1, at this moment Online Armor has a HIPS, maybe it did not
when you used it. Even with the HIPS, its very quiet.

@new user, like you, I don't like HIPS. I also use FF with Adblock
and NoScript. I would recommend you add Sandboxie instead of
or in addition to the Firewall.
I use Windows firewall and let Sandboxie do the firewalling for me.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

if you install Avast 6, you will use its potent Behavior Blocker so you dont need an HIPS unless you are overkill like me (anyway you dont like HIPS ^^).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
endejan said:
Actually, you can just use Comodo Firewall and disable HIPS on it.

Even better, rather than disabling the HIPS. Just don't install it or have it on by default. See below:

comodooptions.png

(Image sources from external site, running Comodo version 4)

You could also manually configure Windows 7 Firewall with Advanced Security, if you have the time. See Wilders guide here

Or use Windows Firewall Control, see our MalwareTips topic here

G

Guest28

Great configuration new user. I would suggest avast free! with sandboxie! that's all i need.

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
ryan said:
Great configuration new user. I would suggest avast free! with sandboxie! that's all i need.
Although I never use things like Sandboxie I was under the impression as of version 6 Avast! free had a sandbox.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
No, only the paid versions of Avast have a sandbox the free version has a behavior blocker. What do you use Windows for anyway? If you don't use it often I don't see the reason why to use a sanbox.

My recommendation: Avast 6! Free + Comodo Firewall

Since you don't want the HIPS just choose the "Firewall only" option when installing CFW.

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll go with Avast + Comodo but I'm having another security related issue...... Win7 SP1 won't install. The error code it gives me is common with people who dual boot Linux. I can't find a fix (one that works). Except for replacing the Windows boot-loader. So until I get SP1 I'll keep Mcafee. I'll try installing it now.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
You can install Avast and Comodo without SP1, you don't need to keep Mcafee. SP1 failed on me also. I installed CCleaner cleaned out the registry, etc then restarted the computer. Then the install of SP1 worked. Just a tip that worked for me.

D

Deleted member 178

avast 6 free has a "limited sandbox" and both version of avast has a Behavior Blocker. i prefer comodo's sandbox personnally.

new user

Thread author
Jun 18, 2011
I'm a pretty advanced user, I have used quite a bit of Sand-boxing (a little bit with ports jails on BSD systems). Besides I really don't need this much overkill. I use Linux 80% of the time. Linux needs its own security setups (firewalls, mandatory access controls, user privileges, repos, ect.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.