Newbie looking for security software combo advice.

treboR2Robert

Thread author
Sep 15, 2019
1st post here so be kind :)

Ive spent the last 2 days on this excellent forum reading peoples opinions but I am still unsure what is best for me, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

For the last 3 or 4 years my setup has been Windows 10 with;

Windows Firewall
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium (lifetime license)
Two Windows 10 privacy apps (ShutUp10 and WPD)
Firefox with;
CUSTOM PRIVACY OPTIONS (Block all 3rd party cookies, Trackers in all windows, Cryptominers, Fingerprints, "do not track" set to always and block dangerous and deceptive content all ticked)
EXTENSIONS (ublock origin, decentraleyes, smart https, canvasblocker, CSS Exfil protection and Bitwarden)

After reading through this forum I felt that what I have is not enough and I tried a couple of other security options

Spyshelter Premium
Hard Configurator

Although I have a fair understanding of how all these things work or if not I learn pretty quickly, most of the time it all just gives me a headache and I don't have the time or energy to deal with anything that needs looking after.

For instance I installed Spyshelter Premium first as i think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that it is the best Keystroke encrypter available.

I then tried to install Hard configurator and spyshelter blacklisted it and wouldn't even let me get past the first couple of pop up dialogues lol.

I eventually got H_C working and applied the recommended settings. I then went to check ShutUp10 and H_C was blocking that haha.

I've now whitelisted ShupUp10 and some other apps, but TBH I feel like it is all overkill.

I am now thinking of getting rid of H_C, spyshelter and malwarebytes and changing to HMP.A as an all in one that does malware etc.. and also keystroke encryption. BUT from what I have read HMP.A only encrypts browser keystrokes not apps (like bitcoin wallets for instance) and also it is not as good at the encryption as spyshelter.

So maybe get spyshelter silent and run it along side malwarebytes ? But contrary to what I have read in the past everyone on here thinks malwarebytes is garbage.

A lot of people seem to recommend voodoosheild but again to me this sounds like it needs a lot of nannying.

If spyshelter is defiantly the best of the best when it comes to keystroke encryption what other software would cover me pretty well, pretty quietly, working alongside spyshelter silent ?

I just want to cover all my bases as best I can with very little interaction needed. I am willing to pay for it if I have to, although I hate that most of these things are subscriptions now days rather than lifetime licenses like they used to be.

Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance !

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Some other highly regarded secondary realtime programs are Crystal Security and WiseVector StopX. But if I had a lifetime license of Malwarebytes Premium I'd keep running it.

I think SpyShelter Premium is pretty good. I would not give up on it so quickly. Click on the Help tab, and it should take you to the info you need on how to whitelist things. A quicker but less desirable option is just turn it off for a moment, or disable one of the modules, if it's being wrongfully surly.

Also please do report to SpyShelter the misbehavior you experienced with as much detail and documentation as possible. I think you should be able to find some sort of log chronicling its actions, and that could help in determining whether it or Hardware Configurator is messing with your email.

We have a member called ichito who would doubtless be of more help with SpyShelter. You might go to his profile and invite him to this thread.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Welcome to MT!

First, let me say you've got a whole lot going on with the addition of Spyshelter and H_C - and both recently installed. Your basic setup of WD + MBAM is fine if it runs well on your system. If you've had no infections or no recent infections and you have safe computing habits, you are fine as is. Please don't allow Forum Paranoia Syndrome to affect your thinking. This is common behavior for newbies. Adding more than 1 new app at a time is certainly not advised because you want to understand how it works with your setup and deal with any conflicts. Adding more than one complicates this immensely.

A lot of people seem to recommend voodoosheild but again to me this sounds like it needs a lot of nannying.

Neither of these is necessarily true. Some people like VS but many others prefer OS hardening of some kind, or other types of apps like OSArmor, etc. . VoodooShield in the hands of an experienced user does not require frequent attention, but this assumes that one is familiar with VS and how it works.

I'll refrain from any concrete suggestions except these: Read threads, ask questions about apps, etc. and post your current configuration here
Computer Security Configuration You will receive responses there to get you started. And please "Stay safe, not Paranoid." (y) (y)

treboR2Robert

Thread author
Sep 15, 2019
@conceptualclarity and @oldschool

Thank you both for the quick replies.

My system is an i7 with 8gb ram so it doesn't suffer with performance issues.

I've spent hours on MT the last few days and I have not heard of Crystal Security or WiseVector StopX, I will have a look at them.

I think I understand most spyshelter features and controls now, I have made exceptions to the rules it automatically made to stop ShutUp10 editing the registry etc..
I will defiantly add @ichito to the thread, it would be good to hear if he thinks spyshelter is the currently best software at doing keystroke encryption.

I started looking into other security software because I defiantly want to add keystroke encryption to my current setup of just WD & MBAM.

I would of just got spyshelter silent but i liked the sound of the extra features premium offered like Clipboard Protection, Screen Protection and Anti Kernel Mode Keylogger, which "I don't think" malwarebytes or any OS hardeners can do.

If there is software that can do a better job protecting me from spyware, malware and ransomware than malwarebytes currently does, I am not fussed about my lifetime license, I have had it for years and I didn't pay much for it anyway.

I read that HMP.A does a better job than malwarebytes and also does keystroke encryption BUT it doesn't do browser protection like malwarebytes, the keystroke encryption only works in a browser and it is not as good as spyshelters.

After doing FULL scans yesterday WD actually found a trojan that malwarebytes did not.
Malwarebytes say that their premium product "Replaces antivirus" but I am not so sure.

This also makes me wonder if other "malware" security software like HMP.A will be as good at detecting Virus's and Trojans etc as "real" virus scanners like kaspersky or norton. And vice versa, are kaspersky and norton etc as good as MBAM and HMP.A at detecting spyware, malware and ransomware.

I used the "Restore Windows Defaults" in H_C to see if that was causing thunderbirds connection problem. No luck unfortunately, i then tried disabling spyshelter and even windows firewall but still nothing. Can't even reach the addons page so its not my email provider.
No idea whats happened, maybe H_C didn't manage to change everything back.

I'll go post my setup now in Computer Security Configuration and look into thunderbird some more.

Thanks again for your replies (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Best advice for newbies and old hands alike is to keep your system as simple as possible. Ideally, you should use only one security program. Choose the one that you know and trust. Keep your OS and software updated, and make sure you are well-informed about PC security, and that you practice safe user habits.

By the way, Hard_Configurator and especially SpyShelter are not newbie-friendly. H_C typically requires an advanced user to set it up, and then can be used by a newbie. SpyShelter cannot be used effectively by a newbie, it is best for experts.

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Best advice for newbies and old hands alike is to keep your system as simple as possible. Ideally, you should use only one security program. Choose the one that you know and trust. Keep your OS and software updated, and make sure you are well-informed about PC security, and that you practice safe user habits.

Couldn't agree more. I've only EVER had one internet security program in real time, and use MalwareBytes and Zemana Free anti malware scanners as backup scanners from time to time.

Multiple real time antimalware programs will only land you in a world of pain, as they will nearly always cause conflicts.

FWIW, I've used many AV programs in the past, including Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

However, I have now settled on FSecure as it is simple to install and run, and gives good protection.

Uses Windows firewall, but if you have your router set up properly, you are well protected from outside attacks, anyway.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I think everyone wants to experiment, in the beginning, then after a while they grow tired of having 4-5 sec software's running.

Until finally they say screw it, I want it simple...So that is me, right now I'm running "Keyscrambler premium" "adguard" Avira and Defender EXT on Chrome, and "F-Secure Safe"

F-Secure (This year) is sweet, so fast on my system...Then I run a second opinion scanner 1-2x per month.

That's it. (Win 10 all defaults)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Advanced security programs such as VoodooShield can be a pain sometimes.
Example: yesterday I called up my ISP to get help troubleshooting my internet connection. He eventually asked me to open a command prompt and run ipconfig. Now, I had already tested Voodooshield, and I knew that it allows me to open a command prompt. But while the support rep was on the phone, I was desperately trying to launch command prompt, to no avail. :( Then I shut down Voodooshield, and 7 command prompts jumped up on the screen. lol.
Later, I checked the voodoo logs to see what happened, and there was no sign that anything had been blocked! I hate stuff like that.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Advanced security programs such as VoodooShield can be a pain sometimes.
Example: yesterday I called up my ISP to get help troubleshooting my internet connection. He eventually asked me to open a command prompt and run ipconfig. Now, I had already tested Voodooshield, and I knew that it allows me to open a command prompt. But while the support rep was on the phone, I was desperately trying to launch command prompt, to no avail. :( Then I shut down Voodooshield, and 7 command prompts jumped up on the screen. lol.
Later, I checked the voodoo logs to see what happened, and there was no sign that anything had been blocked! I hate stuff like that.
This is why I prefer Voodoshield's Autopilot mode.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I think your basic setup is good:Windows Firewall,Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium,
Firefox with privacy and security options.
Instead of adding and stacking security options, try to replace. In the last 5 years, I replaced Windows Defender by Kaspersky antivirus but now, i'm back with Windows Defender. I replaced Malwarebytes Premium by SpyShelter ,Voodooshield then by Comodo Firewall at CS settings. For the last 2 years I've been with Comodo. Before making a change to my security setup, I make an image with Macrium and live with it for a few weeks.
The only change I made in the last 2 years: I added Configure Defender to harden Windows Defender.
My computer is fast: it boots in 20 seconds and I want to keep it that way.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I used the "Restore Windows Defaults" in H_C to see if that was causing thunderbirds connection problem.
No idea whats happened, maybe H_C didn't manage to change everything back.
If you used "Restore Windows Defaults" in H_C, then all H_C settings should be reverted to Windows defaults, except if something prevented it - this is possible when PowerShell is blocked, etc.. Windows defaults should be applied after a computer reboot. If the issue remains after reboot, then something else prevents ThunderBird connections or it prevented H_C to restore Windows defaults. Just, run H_C and then ConfigureDefender to see if all ASR rules are disabled - you can also press <DEFAULT> button to restore WD default settings.
You can also use System Restore Point made by H_C during installation (named Hard_Configurator). This will revert the H_C changes for sure, even when something prevented H_C from restoring Windows defaults.

Your way of seeking the right solution will get you much pain. The less painful way is starting from one basic security (for example Windows Defender) and keep it for some time, untill you are sure that all applications work well. Next, you may add something else (for example SpyShelter), and keep/adjust the setup untill you are sure that all work well together including Windows Updates.

I do not recommend adding more security on Windows 10, because it simply does not like 3rd party security applications. You will have enough problems with WD + SpyShelter, you do not need more for sure. (y)

Last edited:

treboR2Robert

Thread author
Sep 15, 2019
Thanks everyone for all the replies !

Perhaps "newbie" was the wrong word to use, I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to Windows, Networks and tech in general, "but by no means an expert". I'm just new to this forum and some of the more advanced security software.

I fixed my problem with thunderbird, I "think" it had something to do with it trying to update itself from v60 to v68.
Just pure coincidence that i noticed it had stopped working after messing around with spyshelter and H_C.
I'm running the latest version (68.1.0) now and everything is working well apart from some old extensions (firetray + minimizetotray reanimated) however I found a great program to replace these called "BirdTray" you can find it here.

treboR2Robert

Thread author
Sep 15, 2019
If you used "Restore Windows Defaults" in H_C, then all H_C settings should be reverted to Windows defaults, except if something prevented it - this is possible when PowerShell is blocked, etc.. Windows defaults should be applied after a computer reboot. If the issue remains after reboot, then something else prevents ThunderBird connections or it prevented H_C to restore Windows defaults. Just, run H_C and then ConfigureDefender to see if all ASR rules are disabled - you can also press <DEFAULT> button to restore WD default settings.
You can also use System Restore Point made by H_C during installation (named Hard_Configurator). This will revert the H_C changes for sure, even when something prevented H_C from restoring Windows defaults.

Thanks @Andy Ful I had already taken all of those steps, you are right that spyshelter blocked powershell at some point but I worked around it and also managed to do a system restore.
As I said in the post above though, after disabling literally every piece of security on my PC I found out H_C have nothing to do with thunderbird's misbehavior, it was just pure coincidence and bad timing.

I think it will give H_C another try now, I quite liked its features and learned a lot in the short time i used it.
Is there much difference between H_C and other OS hardeners like OSArmor ?

I meant SysHardener sorry not OSArmor.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
H_C ~ SysHardener + forced SmartScreen + advanced WD configuration (including ASR, Network Protection) + SRP (default-deny, whitelisting, more protected file extensions, blocking LOLBins, blocking shortcuts) + blocking Remote Shell & Remote Registry + Logs (blocked events) + diagnostics

Edit

Some features are realized differently. For example, SysHardener disassociates file extensions and H_C uses SRP to block them, etc.
H_C can be used as default-deny or Allow EXE. The second is close to the idea of SysHardener but stronger.
SysHardener is much simpler, but can do the most important thing - it blocks/restricts scripts.

Last edited:

Thanks @Andy Ful I had already taken all of those steps, you are right that spyshelter blocked powershell at some point but I worked around it and also managed to do a system restore.
As I said in the post above though, after disabling literally every piece of security on my PC I found out H_C have nothing to do with thunderbird's misbehavior, it was just pure coincidence and bad timing.

I think it will give H_C another try now, I quite liked its features and learned a lot in the short time i used it.

You have to learn the hard way. Just like everyone else. There is no magic and certainly no shortcuts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.