Newly formatted config

• Thread starter luke.douthwaite
  • Start date
L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, was directed here to show my current config, although empty I am very much interested in getting some suggestions as to what config I should go for. Everything needed :D

Fire away! lol

Thanks in advance..

Luke

EDITED to as follows...

Real Time : BitDefender Antivirus 2013
Online Armor Firewall (FREE)
Zemana Anti Logger

On Demand : Malwarebytes

Browser : Chrome - With HTTPS Everywhere, Flah for Chrome, LastPass and Webutation.

Additional Software : Sandboxie (FREE) , Revo Uninstaller , Winzip / Winrar , Hostman , BoostSpeed , VirusTotalUploader, Autoruns, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Process explorer/monitor/hacker , ShellExView and Windows Tweaker.

Ok so I am short of a music player and a dedicated backup option unless anyone else can think of other things missing as well as problems with what I have or conflicts they may cause with eachother?

P

Plexx

Thread author
I suggest the following:
Real Time protection: ESET AV or VIPRE Internet Security 2012 (both are paid but you can test run it first), Avast Free AV or Comodo Internet Security (free)
On Demand Scanners: Malwarebytes Antimalware free plus Hitman Pro and Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Browser: Chrome/Firefox/Comodo Dragon with following extensions: Adblock Plus and WOT (site advisor)
Backup utility: Paragon Backup and Recovery or even Windows 7 default backup utility
HDD Defrag: Puran Defrag, Auslogics or Defraggler
Virtualization/Rollback: Most would recommend Sanboxie (which I also do), but other alternatives are Bufferzone Pro, Toolwiz Timefreeze, Returnil.
Unlocker Utility: Unlocker 1.9.1
Uninstaller: Revo Uninstaller Free
Ccleaner
Registry Defrag: Quicksys RegDefrag
Hardening: EMET 3.0

Thats my suggestions. Now handing over to the other guys:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome Luke. :D

Remember to install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, should have already been delivered through Windows Update.

Before your clean state of Windows 7, what was your previous security set-up?

What's your computer mainly used for (in general) gaming, home/work, or casual usage?

Are you willing to use paid security, or looking for free alternatives?

P

Plexx

Thread author
I knew I should have asked the questions Earth did before bombarding the OP with suggestions. My bad.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
I would recommend
Real-time protection (Free) : Avast Free, AVG Free, Panda Cloud, or Microsoft Security Essentials
Real-time protection (Paid) : Eset Smart Security, Trend Micro Maximum Security, Avast Internet Security
On-demand scanners: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Super Anti-Spyware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Second Opinion Real-time Protection: Anvisoft Smart Defender (Free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Paid)(Trial/ $25 lifetime(Recommended))
Browser(s): Google Chrome, Firefox
Edited: Firewall: Comodo Firewall, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.
I would recommend you get a registry/ temporary internet files cleaner, And a uninstaller for unwanted programs to be removed with no leftover files.

L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
Earth said:
Welcome Luke. :D

Remember to install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, should have already been delivered through Windows Update.

Before your clean state of Windows 7, what was your previous security set-up?

What's your computer mainly used for (in general) gaming, home/work, or casual usage?

Are you willing to use paid security, or looking for free alternatives?

Hi, yes service pack 1 has already come through :)

My previous set up was exceptionally basic with just a AV on it, and it was AVG :blush: lol ... was just testing it out for the hell of it.

I use my laptop for general browsing, social stuff, downloading, watching films, streaming.

I don't mind paying for some stuff so any suggestions are fine. From anything basic to auto startup programs, to backing up, its all needed :D

Thanks,

Luke

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Should luke.douthwaite clean the PC from malware (if any is present) with on-demand scanners before using the antivirus?

L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Should luke.douthwaite clean the PC from malware (if any is present) with on-demand scanners before using the antivirus?

I plan on doing another format once I get the config sorted (in my head/on screen) before putting it in place.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
before going crazy on apps create a good baseline configuration. Once you have the applications you want installed and everything is updated do a system image, since your doing a reformat I would do the image before you add the Anti-virus. With the system image you have a great starting point if in the future something bad happens like a really bad virus or drive problems. I included a good article on how to in Windows 7 but there are many programs that can do a system image for you as well but this 1 is of course free. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
pcjunklist said:
before going crazy on apps create a good baseline configuration. Once you have the applications you want installed and everything is updated do a system image, since your doing a reformat I would do the image before you add the Anti-virus. With the system image you have a great starting point if in the future something bad happens like a really bad virus or drive problems. I included a good article on how to in Windows 7 but there are many programs that can do a system image for you as well but this 1 is of course free. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

Hey, yes I was going to do that anyway once I had all the software down as to what I was going to use. However I had not looked into how to do this and which software to use so using the guide you just showed me is a good option :)

Is it a good idea to do have a image of Windows before I install apps as well as having a continuous one? For example doing a system image every week say and just keep overwriting the continuous one?

Thanks,

Luke

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
usually it is because you may run into an issue with a program that just won't leave your computer but, if your using well known software chances are your not going to run into any issues. I said to do image before anti-virus because they have a tendency of leaving a lot files around if you were to uninstall at a later point. The more updated images the better, just make sure you don't overwrite the base image.

L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
pcjunklist said:
usually it is because you may run into an issue with a program that just won't leave your computer but, if your using well known software chances are your not going to run into any issues. I said to do image before anti-virus because they have a tendency of leaving a lot files around if you were to uninstall at a later point. The more updated images the better, just make sure you don't overwrite the base image.

Will do mate, thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming for what software and config I could use :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi Luke "may the force be with you" ^^ (i know too easy)

System installation:

step 0 : preparation : download and check with AV all your needed programs/apps installer and save them in a usb
step 1: format -> install win7 and all updates needed -> install from the usb your progs that you are sure you can't live without (ex: your favorite video/audio player, office suite, etc...)
step 2: backup your system:
step 3: tweak/setup your Windows7 (ex: disable some services, etc...)
step 4: second new backup (don't overwrite the first one)
step 5: install the security apps
step 6: third backup (if everything ok with security apps, overwrite the second backup )
step 7: now you are protected, install whatever apps you want.

now you have 2 backup image, one you will keep in a safe place and never touch it (backup 1) and another one you will update from time to time (backup 3)

Now my security advices (step 5):

Free setup (without HIPS): Avast or Panda Cloud AV or AVG + Windows Firewall or Tinywall firewall,
Free setup (with HIPS, if you can handle popups): Comodo IS or Agnitium Outpost Security free
Paid Setup (without HIPS): Norton IS (the best choice)
paid setup (with HIPS): Emsisoft Internet Security, Vipre security,

Additional layers:

- Sandboxie free (virtualization, better the paid one if you can)
- EMET 3 (hardening your apps)
- Shadow Defender or Toolwiz Timefreeze (rollback apps)
- Bit defender Traffic Light (url filter for Firefox/Chrome-based browsers)
- MBAM free, Emsisoft Emergency kit, Hitman Pro (on-demand scanners)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I recommend Going for Kaspersky or Norton. IF you want a light suite go for trend micro Maximum security. If you have the bucks choose Norton 360.

L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
Hi Luke "may the force be with you" ^^ (i know too easy)

System installation:

step 0 : preparation : download and check with AV all your needed programs/apps installer and save them in a usb
step 1: format -> install win7 and all updates needed -> install from the usb your progs that you are sure you can't live without (ex: your favorite video/audio player, office suite, etc...)
step 2: backup your system:
step 3: tweak/setup your Windows7 (ex: disable some services, etc...)
step 4: second new backup (don't overwrite the first one)
step 5: install the security apps
step 6: third backup (if everything ok with security apps, overwrite the second backup )
step 7: now you are protected, install whatever apps you want.

now you have 2 backup image, one you will keep in a safe place and never touch it (backup 1) and another one you will update from time to time (backup 3)

Now my security advices (step 5):

Free setup (without HIPS): Avast or Panda Cloud AV or AVG + Windows Firewall or Tinywall firewall,
Free setup (with HIPS, if you can handle popups): Comodo IS or Agnitium Outpost Security free
Paid Setup (without HIPS): Norton IS (the best choice)
paid setup (with HIPS): Emsisoft Internet Security, Vipre security,

Additional layers:

- Sandboxie free (virtualization, better the paid one if you can)
- EMET 3 (hardening your apps)
- Shadow Defender or Toolwiz Timefreeze (rollback apps)
- Bit defender Traffic Light (url filter for Firefox/Chrome-based browsers)
- MBAM free, Emsisoft Emergency kit, Hitman Pro (on-demand scanners)

First off, thanks for the reply mate, good detail :> I had to chuckle at that familiar joke, its all too common but still gets me going :p

First of, unless I am missing something very basic what did you mean when you said "download and check with AV" Check what exactly? lol. Also do you have any suggestions for doing the initial backup, software wise and for any software used to make the occasional backup when needed.

"tweak/setup your Windows" - Any suggestions or do you just suggest I use something like black vipers tweaking guide?

As for security, I do want to go for the separate AV and firewall applications and not that all in one security suite, just personal preference I guess. What is your personal opinion, HIPS or non?

Thanks,

Luke

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well, I see that you have made a configuration. :)

I see that you that you have no AV currently.

There are many options out there that you can pick from, but depends on what are you looking for, meaning are you willing to pay for an AV or use free products.

For free products I would recommend:
  • Avast + CO-MO-DO Firewall
  • CO-MO-DO Internet Security (Recommended for advanced members)
  • MSE + Windows Firewall

For Paid products I would recommend:
  • Trend Micro Maximum Security
  • Eset Smart Security
  • Avast Internet Security
  • Norton 360

As for your browser, do you normally use Internet Explorer?

If you are looking for a different browsers you have so many options.
Some are:
  • Mozilla Firefox + Adblock Plus, Ghostery, WOT
  • Google Chrome + Adblock Plus, Ghostery, WOT
  • CO-MO-DO Dragon (not sure what addons you can added, as I have not used it before)

But if you are wanting to keep Internet Explorer, some addons you can are WOT.

Some of the On-demand scanners that you can add are:
  • Malwarebytes Anti-malware
  • Hitman Pro
  • Super Antispyware

Also after once that you have installed what you need to install, I also recommend installing a backup software.

Some that I recommend:

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
luke.douthwaite said:
First off, thanks for the reply mate, good detail :> I had to chuckle at that familiar joke, its all too common but still gets me going :p

no problem ^^

First of, unless I am missing something very basic what did you mean when you said "download and check with AV" Check what exactly? lol. Also do you have any suggestions for doing the initial backup, software wise and for any software used to make the occasional backup when needed.

I meant, when you will download your favorite apps , put them all on a usb and scan it, so you will not infect your system prior to installing an AV

Just use your backup software normally, be sure to verify that the image made is not corrupted then make copies by uploading it into a cloud server (dropbox, etc...), into a DVD, on an external HDD, etc...
there is nothing more annoying than trying to restore an image and realized that the DVD is broken or the image is corrupted.

"tweak/setup your Windows" - Any suggestions or do you just suggest I use something like black vipers tweaking guide?

Absolutely, some apps you may install add their own services/autorun entry that are not listed by any guides, so you should check them yourself

for example , i am using Acronis True Image for backing up my system, but it has a "non-stop backup " feature that create a service, i don't need it so i disabled it.

As for security, I do want to go for the separate AV and firewall applications and not that all in one security suite, just personal preference I guess. What is your personal opinion, HIPS or non?

Can you handle some popups with technical words? if yes, go for an HIPS, it will allow you almost full control of what will get into your system.

L

luke.douthwaite

Thread author
Ok since a few of you have all mentioned it I will take a shot for Comodo Internet Security (free) , I assume it would be a pointless purchase upgrading to the PRO version just to get some live pc support for problems that myself or with some help on here can resolve?

I will go ahead and get MBAM (free), Hitman Pro (which I have seen A LOT of people mentioning, not just in my posts. It is a piece of software I actually have not heard of until I joined these forums :eek: and the bitdefender trafflic light.

As well as them I was wondering for some more information on the following,

- Sandboxie free and paid
- EMET 3
- Shadow Defender
- Toolwiz Timefreeze
- Emsisoft Emergency kit
- Comodo Cleaning Essentials
- Ghostery

With the ones I mentioned getting are any of them needed?

I will use the windows image maker for initial backup but will be likely to grab Paragon Drive Backup as I have used Paragon partition manager previously so may be more familiar with that one. Any of the others better?

Thanks,

Luke

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
luke.douthwaite said:
I assume it would be a pointless purchase upgrading to the PRO version just to get some live pc support for problems that myself or with some help on here can resolve?

- Sandboxie free and paid
- EMET 3
- Shadow Defender
- Toolwiz Timefreeze
- Emsisoft Emergency kit
- Comodo Cleaning Essentials
- Ghostery

With the ones I mentioned getting are any of them needed?

I will use the windows image maker for initial backup but will be likely to grab Paragon Drive Backup as I have used Paragon partition manager previously so may be more familiar with that one. Any of the others better?

You can purchase the Pro version but since most users on this forum have a fair idea what goes on behind CO-MO-DO they might be help.

As for the ones that you have mentioned, I would have a look into Sandboxie. It's a great visualization program. Also have a look at Ghostery, it's great for Firefox and I think Chrome. Blocks scripts that you don't want to run on web pages.

For a backup if you have used Paragon Drive in the past that would be okay :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.