Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
Installation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
No, it is meant only for IPv4 and classic DNS (UDP via 53).1. Is IP linking required with all NextDNS setups? I used the DoH setup for Windows 11.
Yes, if you have set automatic DNS. You can check on NextDNS webpage or via https://test.nextdns.io2. Does the NextDNS protection work with existing and new Wi-Fi connections?

NextDNS - Make sure to Enable Cache Boost, otherwise you will run out of queries within days. I have not even reached 100k after 20 days for 2 PCs.I couldn't find the remaining query info. Does the account show this information?

Sorry, I have zero experience in this area, I disable IPv6 ASAP. I like privacy and reliability, but I do not think that NextDNS supports DNS64 yet, so you might have an issue connecting to IPv4 only services. But with zero support from NextDNS you can simply test via trial and error, it will either work or not.The DoH setup with IPv6 doesn't require linking the IP. Do I have to disable IPv4 on the system?
No. It supports both. On the setup page select "windows" and you can see the IPV6 address for setting up IPV6. Like this "Replace the current addresses (if any) with 2a07:a8c0::74:3b4a and 2a07:a8c1::74:3b4a." In windows you need to2. NextDNS DoH supports IPv4 only. I thought I'd add DoH for IPv4 and unencrypted IPv6 for IPv6.
It works better with DOH as the old unencrypted port 53 dns does leak as some dns queries are sent through port 5353 too. to disable such leaks you need to enable DOH and login to your nextdns account then go to "parental control" in nextdns page, enable "Block Bypass Methods".Wi-Fi - Hardware Properties - DNS Assignment - I tested NextDNS DoH IPv4, but it didn't block adult sites. I then tried unencrypted IPv6, and it worked as expected.
Use IPV4 alone. Most of the internet still functions on IPV4 alone.4. I thought I'd use IPv6 only and disable IPv4, but some sites don't work, including the NextDNS website, if I disable IPv4.
5. All sites work if I use IPv4 and disable IPv6, but NextDNS DoH, which supports IPv4, doesn't work when added to Windows 11 23H2.
6. If I use IPv6 with NextDNS unencrypted IPv6 and keep IPv4 enabled, I could access adult sites sometimes and sometimes not.
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v "EnableAutoDoh" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient" /v "DoHPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters" /v "EnableDnr" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
wmic nicconfig where DHCPEnabled=TRUE call SetDNSServerSearchOrder ("45.90.28.99","45.90.30.99")
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters\DohWellKnownServers\45.90.28.99" /v "Template" /t REG_SZ /d "https://dns.nextdns.io/xxxxxx/LianLiPC-7NB" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters\DohWellKnownServers\45.90.30.99" /v "Template" /t REG_SZ /d "https://dns.nextdns.io/xxxxxx/LianLiPC-7NB" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\InterfaceSpecificParameters\{2fea24ab-7667-4d1c-87c9-220b61023550}\DohInterfaceSettings\Doh\45.90.28.99" /v "DohFlags" /t REG_QWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\InterfaceSpecificParameters\{2fea24ab-7667-4d1c-87c9-220b61023550}\DohInterfaceSettings\Doh\45.90.28.99" /v "DohTemplate" /t REG_SZ /d "https://dns.nextdns.io/xxxxxx/LianLiPC-7NB" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\InterfaceSpecificParameters\{2fea24ab-7667-4d1c-87c9-220b61023550}\DohInterfaceSettings\Doh\45.90.30.99" /v "DohFlags" /t REG_QWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\InterfaceSpecificParameters\{2fea24ab-7667-4d1c-87c9-220b61023550}\DohInterfaceSettings\Doh\45.90.30.99" /v "DohTemplate" /t REG_SZ /d "https://dns.nextdns.io/xxxxxx/LianLiPC-7NB" /f


What parental control software do you use?@Brahman, NextDNS DoH IPv6 works well when added to Windows 11, but DoH IPv4 doesn't. I don't want to install software for it to work. I renewed the parental control software subscription. The NextDNS DoH IPv4 didn't work on another Windows 11 system, either.
Those systems have Kaspersky Safe Kids with Microsoft Defender and Firewall. I created a system image with the backup software, removed Kaspersky, restarted the system, and tested NextDNS.What parental control software do you use?
Not until you have cleared any dns cache in your system and in Nextdns settings.NextDNS or DNS-based services cannot block a website if it is present in the browser's history/data?
NextDNS defaults have the cache boost option disabled. Do you mean to enable it? Anyway, the blocking works now. I don't know if it was an incompatibility with AdGuard Desktop. I removed it and reinstalled uBlock Origin. After that, NextDNS seems to block the websites already present in the browser's history or data.Not until you have cleared any dns cache in your system and in Nextdns settings.
View attachment 282650
You can enable cache boot option if you want to reduce number of DNS queries, as the free account can only have 300K ( image 1) queries. It has nothing to do with your system DNS cache nor with your router. Its a cache system employed by Nextdns in their servers for your DNS queries that caches your queries for 3 or 4 minutes. The only issue is that if you get a block by nextdns and you want to unblock that and add that website to allow list, it will only get unblocked only after 3 or 4 minutes, ie after expiring the cache time (TTL) (See Image 2).NextDNS defaults have the cache boost option disabled. Do you mean to enable it? Anyway, the blocking works now. I don't know if it was an incompatibility with AdGuard Desktop. I removed it and reinstalled uBlock Origin. After that, NextDNS seems to block the websites already present in the browser's history or data.
I have tested AdGuardDNS, and its parental control is basic, with no category blocking. A parental control without category blocking is simply a normal family DNS server with added allow/block functions.@rashmi
Have a look at AdguardDNS, thay have parental control and any user rule or filterlist the changes are applied immediatelly, also is is very easy from the logs to create allow or block rules
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes
Continue exploring the conversation.