1. Android

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Despite some one threads about this, i'd like to be more specific.

There is any difference in therms of ad/track blocking when you compare adguard DNS and NEXTDNS (with adguard filters)? I'm not interested in speed and location, as both are equivalent in my region.
I want to know which one is if better and won't break websites and e-shopping.

i'm currently using NEXTDNS with this 2 filters enabled:
"
AdGuard DNS filter
A filter composed of several other filters (AdGuard Base filter, Social media filter, Tracking Protection filter, Mobile Ads filter, EasyList and EasyPrivacy) and simplified specifically to be better compatible with DNS-level ad blocking.
github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardSDNSFilter "

and

AdGuard Mobile Ads filter
Filter that blocks ads on mobile devices. Contains all known mobile ad networks.
kb.adguard.com/general/adguard-ad-filters#mobile-ads-filter

I tested OISD for some time, but it had the habit to break some needed connections

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019
I spent some time configuring the nextdns filters that I enabled for my iPhone (see the filters in use in the screen with the relative blocking percentages) but in the end it was worth it: the work required a consultation nextdns log constant to understand which connections were blocked and among these select those to put in the white list. In the end everything works great and I couldn't do without nextdns and the configured filters.
On iPhone the “1hosts” filter is the most effective (see screen).

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpeg
    IMG_1842.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 205

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Made some tests with Adguard and OIST. Realized that i didn't need to whitelist some old address anymore with OIST (maybe they fixed it). Trying right now with no whitelist and it's working better with OIST than with adguard (in terms of not breaking anything)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Adguard DNS is ripoff of NextDNS, there is common filterlists available and the ' block newly registered domains' feature.

NextDNS is more advanced in terms of blocking threats and using adguard filters in NextDNS should not be problem at all

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
I have three NextDNS free accounts

1. All security plus native tracking enabled for Mobile phones and smart TV without privacy filters applied in the router
2. On my wife's tablet: only all security features enabled
3. Om my aptop: All security features + Adguard DNS + OISD.nl privacy filters (allowing tracking & affilate links, but IP is hidden)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.