Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I like that you can’t choose a main browser either. I feel less crazy.

It may seem bizarre, but using multiple browsers has a purpose :D

For example, Firefox is the only browser supported by the online access systems of the courts, basically I need this to be able to work (I'm a lawyer); as for Google Chrome I use it logged in with my Google account to use the services of this company like Gmail, Youtube, Youtube Music and so on.

As for Brave it is my main browser and Edge, well it has an excellent PDF reader and a very pleasant reading mode, it is a very good secondary browser and could easily replace Brave (which maybe it will).

In addition, using different browsers for different uses is a way of trying to maintain an anonymous identity on the internet.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It may seem bizarre, but using multiple browsers has a purpose :D

For example, Firefox is the only browser supported by the online access systems of the courts, basically I need this to be able to work (I'm a lawyer); as for Google Chrome I use it logged in with my Google account to use the services of this company like Gmail, Youtube, Youtube Music and so on.

As for Brave it is my main browser and Edge, well it has an excellent PDF reader and a very pleasant reading mode, it is a very good secondary browser and could easily replace Brave (which maybe it will).

In addition, using different browsers for different uses is a way of trying to maintain an anonymous identity on the internet.
I use Chrome for the same thing. I don't log into google services from any other browser. It's basically a youtube and gmail browser. I've gone back and forth on Brave and Edge. Both have positives and negatives. And I have a soft spot for Firefox, probably always will until they shut it down.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I use Chrome for the same thing. I don't log into google services from any other browser. It's basically a youtube and gmail browser. I've gone back and forth on Brave and Edge. Both have positives and negatives. And I have a soft spot for Firefox, probably always will until they shut it down.

I guess our reasons are very very similar; I dont feel very comfortable using a browser with a Google account logged in but I still need its services.

My computer is powerful enough so I cant really see any downside of this multiple browsers approach, so I will continue with it as long I need it.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Only two things from my side:
- Set UAC to maximum (see many threads about)
- better use only 1 browser for decreased attack surface. With Edge you can use my 3 browser profile solution: Edge - Chromium-Edge "3-Browser-Profiles" Solution

(y)

I use a standard user account, it is much more powerful security-wise than UAC to maximum (the latter isnt a security boundary).

About the multiple browsers, it may increase attack surface, but I need them and I am totally okay with this.

NextDNS is great, I really like the low false positives from the OISD list, so it is a keeper for me.

Last edited:

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Wow AVG Internet Security? How is it?

I also use NextDNS and love it. I had to stop using OISD as it was blocking far too much for my liking.

Reactions: DDE_Server
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Do you have a guide for NextDNS ? I will look for it.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Above average doesn't sound that convincing. Did you do a test of AVG too?

Above average to top tier considering the results of AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, SE Labs and recently @McMcbrad tests; historically Avast was never bad at that important metric.

I dont have the means to do a statistically relevant protection test; what I like to test is false positives, system impact, try to look for some bugs, how good the default settings are, how its impact web browsing, look to see if there is a downgrade for SSL connections and so on.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Above average to top tier considering the results of AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, SE Labs and recently @McMcbrad tests; historically Avast was never bad at that important metric.

I dont have the means to do a statistically relevant protection test; what I like to test is false positives, system impact, try to look for some bugs, how good the default settings are, how its impact web browsing, look to see if there is a downgrade for SSL connections and so on.
This is the point. Among any of the top AVs the differences are largely irrelevant. As long as you aren't using something that bombs tests regularly you are getting decent protection. Chasing the best is a waste of time. AVAST/AVG have an enormous user base which gives them a lot of threat intel and they are efficient at creating new signatures and have a good BB.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This is the point. Among any of the top AVs the differences are largely irrelevant. As long as you aren't using something that bombs tests regularly you are getting decent protection. Chasing the best is a waste of time. AVAST/AVG have an enormous user base which gives them a lot of threat intel and they are efficient at creating new signatures and have a good BB.

Pretty much this, nowadays it is hard to make a bad choice in the AV market, well, except if you choose Webroot :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.