• No

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Could be if you...

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Niklas

Thread author
Jul 5, 2015
I had some problems a few weeks ago with a software force installing a bunch of other stuff and I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free but it couldn't get rid of everything so I tried HitmanPro and it took care of what was left, so HitmanPro was the first program I bought. Then I've been trying out a few Firewalls and Anti-Virus programs and I think I've settled on Avast Pro Antivirus (pretty sure since I've paid for a 2-year license), and Comodo Firewall.

I've also had an incident with someone using my CC or bank account to buy something from the internet recently which has made me really paranoid and now I feel I need to protect myself a little better (even though the fault might not be on my end). This was before the other problem so it's not related. :)

So now I'm wondering what I can improve in regards to keeping my computer safe(r)? I'm thinking about buying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as well, but I'm not sure if it's needed or if it would be overkill or even create conflicts?

I've used this to set up Comodo Firewall: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm'

And in Avast Pro Anti-Virus I've set it to Hardened Mode and Aggresive.

Any other settings I should consider?

I have a ASUS RT-N66U (VER.B1) router if that matters, but I can't say I've tried to tweak any settings in it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In Avast make sure to enable Deepscreen (to enhance the detection capabilities) which will run unknown programs in an isolated environment invisible to detect any malicious behavior. *

Avast will noted if that feature is not compatible to your computer due to insufficient hardware requirements.

Add a backup browser as for emergency cases but other than that its a good configuration.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Your fine. Great AV, great firewall and you've got backup. Even have exploit protection (HitmanPro.Alert) which is a must nowadays.

Reactions: JM Safe

Niklas

Thread author
Jul 5, 2015
If you are concerned that you might still have an infection you can ask for removal assistance here http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/

Your config looks good

I should be safe since none of the programs I'm currently using or have been testing says anything is left.

In Avast make sure to enable Deepscreen (to enhance the detection capabilities) which will run unknown programs in an isolated environment invisible to detect any malicious behavior. *

Avast will noted if that feature is not compatible to your computer due to insufficient hardware requirements.

Add a backup browser as for emergency cases but other than that its a good configuration.

Yes, that's also enabled, read it somewhere on the forum that it should be enabled.

I have Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge installed by default so they'll serve as backup browsers.

Your fine. Great AV, great firewall and you've got backup. Even have exploit protection (HitmanPro.Alert) which is a must nowadays.

Thanks.

Approved by Staff

Thanks.

Good config +1

Thanks.

to much.
Avast pro has already has firewall.

I think you're thinking of Avast Premium? Avast Pro Antivirus is basically Avast Free Antivirus with some extra internet security as I understand it.

Forgot to mention it in my first post, but I'm trying out HTTPS Everywhere as well, will that play nicely with HitmanPro.Alert and the Avast Online Security plugin you think?

Are there any other light programs or plug-ins that might improve security, I'm guessing the threat comes from when online and using a browser?

Is there a big difference between browsers in regards to being more resistant to threats, I'm used to Mozilla Firefox and it works with Xmarks and Lastpass and especially Xmarks is a must more or less, Lastpass is very useful as well I think.

Thanks everyone for the great response, really appreciate it. :)

Reactions: nissimezra

GinGin

Jul 9, 2015
I think that the best virus removal tool is Dr.Web CureIt! . I usually load it from here http://ratedfreeware.com/ and other programms too. It's much more easier than searching by g00gle all the time.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi, great config, but I suggest you to install BitDefender 60 second virus scanner because it is efficient, light and fast.
Thx for sharing it ;)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I should be safe since none of the programs I'm currently using or have been testing says anything is left.

Yes, that's also enabled, read it somewhere on the forum that it should be enabled.

I have Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge installed by default so they'll serve as backup browsers.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I think you're thinking of Avast Premium? Avast Pro Antivirus is basically Avast Free Antivirus with some extra internet security as I understand it.

Forgot to mention it in my first post, but I'm trying out HTTPS Everywhere as well, will that play nicely with HitmanPro.Alert and the Avast Online Security plugin you think?

Are there any other light programs or plug-ins that might improve security, I'm guessing the threat comes from when online and using a browser?

Is there a big difference between browsers in regards to being more resistant to threats, I'm used to Mozilla Firefox and it works with Xmarks and Lastpass and especially Xmarks is a must more or less, Lastpass is very useful as well I think.

Thanks everyone for the great response, really appreciate it. :)
Adblock or trafficlight can help protecting you from web threat with no impact on your pc only the browser. most of the infection are from the web and once it blocked the pages no infection.
I'm using only 1 Av no scanners or other craps, all of them want's your money when it comes to do the job they won't.

Niklas

Thread author
Jul 5, 2015
I've been pre-occupied with some stuff, but since last I've re-installed Windows again... It's a pita sometimes... :p

But I noticed HitmanPro.Alert seems to be a bit over-protective when I tried opening some files on my computer, and I couldn't find any way to lower the settings, so I don't think I'll keep using that. I was able to get Comodo and Avast leave them alone, but I'll try some other settings to see if they can go a bit easier on certain things.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I advise you add more one browser and unninstall comodo firewall since Avast pro has teir own and works with windows firewall.
but this are my opinions...;)
great config:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.