Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Extra information & comments:
  • Separate Standard Account for everyday usage, Admin account for system changes.
  • Modern apps are used as much as possible so to have extra protection from AppContainer technology (Web browser, media apps, torrent download app and others).
  • I use OneDrive to sync important files using the Windows built-in client (startup disabled) which is set up in Admin account so that it's separate from the account used for everyday tasks for better security.
  • Adobe flash, password & form saving are disabled in MS Edge
  • Autorun for removable devices is disabled via system settings.
  • Linux bootable USB for transferring files from foreign USB flash drives.
  • Modem/Router from ISP (VDSL) is left at defaults except from SSID & Wifi Password which are changed. Wireless Connection is WPA2.
System: Lenovo G510 - Laptop (i5 4rd gen proccessor & GPU, 4GB of RAM, 120gb SSD)

Last edited:

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
You will need a lot more than just the Windows defaults to prevent malware attacks.

- Microsoft Edge is not secure. Use Google Chrome instead.
- Consider getting another antivirus since Windows Defender isn't that good. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Avast all have good free ones.
- Consider adding an on-demand scanner installed on your computer rather than a portable one. Zemana is good enough, but if you have the money, consider using HitmanPro.
- Download System Image Backup software such as AOMEI Backupper. This is in case if something happened to your system as a whole, and you didnt want to reinstall everything and lose what you had.
Why is Microsoft Edge not secure? Just wondering

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hey How about a password manager, LastPass perhaps:)
Thanks for sharing your configuration.:censored:

Reactions: Nikos751

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I'd recommend that you up your security configuration by implementing another layer of security which involves the use of system image software. The first piece of software that I would recommend is AOMEI Backupper Standard (free). Link: AOMEI Backupper: Data Backup and Restore Software for PC, Laptop and Server

The second piece of software that I would recommend is Macrium Reflect (free). Link: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

I would also recommend that you use a different AV other than Windows Defender. Windows Defender does not have great detection - take it from someone who works in IT! I have seen so many infected computers that only use Windows Defender. You must tiptoe using Windows Defender if you want to stay secure. I have seen far too many jaws drop once I start scanning computers and finding a whole bunch of junk on their computer that wasn't secure at all with Windows Defender. Again, it mainly depends on security practices. However, I'd encourage you to look at other AVs - especially AVs that are even free. Please take a look at Avast Free AV, but don't take my word for it: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Avara Free AV is nice as well, but personally, I would vote for Avast based on its great protection score. BitDefender offers a free AV with great protection too, but if I had to choose I would go with Avast all day and every day with their superior detection rates and good security. Kaspersky has a great AV for free that just recently came out too, but a tried and true free AV that has been out for a bit longer may be a better route to take.

As for your secondary or on-demand scanning, I would request that you add Norton Power Eraser. Power Eraser is quite robust and free as well. EEK would be another nice free on-demand scanner that you can implement as well.

For system cleanup, I would recommend CCleaner (free). This is much more powerful when compared to default cleanup when compared to disk cleanup that Windows has built in. Just make sure to use the latest version of the software and never touch the registry cleanup.

Microsoft Edge isn't great in my opinion. Personally, I like Firefox. If you choose to use Firefox I would use uBlock Origin, and HTTPS Everywhere inside of this web browser to be more secure. Google Chrome isn't bad at all either - I just think they data mine everything! lol

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks for posting your configuration with us! :)

Last edited:

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I have an AOMEI backupper professional license so I may consider it. I don't want third party cleaners, and Edge is good in terms of security as it runs in a sandbox (AppContainer). Nowadays Firefox also has a sandbox, but i think both Chrome and Firefox run on low integrity level - you can change a flag in Chrome though, not in an AppContainer sandbox like Modern windows apps.
As for real time protection, I am thinking of returning to Eset Smart security as I own a paid license. Thanks for your comments:)

Changed to Eset Internet Security, as I own a paid license:)

Last edited by a moderator:

grumpy_joe

Level 1
Verified
Oct 18, 2017
Earlier this year it was considered the easiest to hack. Chrome was the hardest.

I bet you never even tried to hack any of those browsers. Don't worry neither did I.
Not trying to defend Edge as I believe it's a piece of sh*t browser by I could easily counter you with a reverse article.

Two days after the article which you quoted we can see something like this:
Strengthening the Microsoft Edge Sandbox - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

as such you can't really say something which still has support and is in development as less secure than other competitor.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I have an AOMEI backupper professional license so I may consider it. I don't want third party cleaners, and Edge is good in terms of security as it runs in a sandbox (AppContainer). Nowadays Firefox also has a sandbox, but i think both Chrome and Firefox run on low integrity level - you can change a flag in Chrome though, not in an AppContainer sandbox like Modern windows apps.
As for real-time protection, I am thinking of returning to Eset Smart security as I own a paid license. Thanks for your comments:)

I would use the AOMEI Backupper Professional license then if I were you! If you own a license (paid for or through a giveaway) why not put it to great use? You can easily have your system backed up in less than an hour in most cases depending on how much information you have on your HDD/SDD. Having an image backup is considered essential in my point of view. If anything goes sour on your computers such as a driver, OS, piece of software, or anything else you can easily roll your system back to its previous state. I have my protection set up on a custom backup schedule. I use Acronis True Image 2017/2018 (mainly 2018 now that I'm done testing it myself) and AOMEI Backupper, Professional. Acronis is my main go-to software for system backups, disk images, incremental backups, and differential backups.

Sometimes AOMEI Backupper gives away professional lifetime versions of their software (stuck at a certain version of course) through giveaways on websites. For those wondering that this.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Nikos751: I tagged temporally Your config as Caution, since there is no system image backup solution in Your system. As already mentioned, please consider to add AOMEI Backupper or Macrium Reflect Free (both free and reliable).

Also:
- You may consider to backup important data to an external device.
- You may add Norton Power Eraser and HitManPro (in free mode, after trial period) as on demand scanners.

Apart from that, it's an enough secure config, thanks for sharing :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
@Nikos751: I tagged temporally Your config as Caution, since there is no system image backup solution in Your system. As already mentioned, please consider to add AOMEI Backupper or Macrium Reflect Free (both free and reliable).

Also:
- You may consider to backup important data to an external device.
- You may add Norton Power Eraser and HitManPro (in free mode, after trial period) as on demand scanners.

Apart from that, it's an enough secure config, thanks for sharing :)
Just installed Macrium free (I lost the license from AOMEI unfortunately). I already have in mind NPE, I just don't use it regularly for scans. Thanks..

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
You will need a lot more than just the Windows defaults to prevent malware attacks.

- Microsoft Edge is not secure. Use Google Chrome instead.
- Consider getting another antivirus since Windows Defender isn't that good. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and Avast all have good free ones.
- Consider adding an on-demand scanner installed on your computer rather than a portable one. Zemana is good enough, but if you have the money, consider using HitmanPro.
- Download System Image Backup software such as AOMEI Backupper. This is in case if something happened to your system as a whole, and you didnt want to reinstall everything and lose what you had.
Now you have a good configuration.

You are protected.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.