https://malwaretips.com/threads/just-my-desktop-specs.63421/

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
KIS tweaks:
Personal files directories added to Personal Data section.
"Low restricted" programs blocked from accesing both networks and personal files directories defined above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
RE: My security!

Maybe adblock, ghostery , LastPass other than that looks good

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013

exterminator20 said:

Thank you! I use do not track me.Adblock isn't needed for me as It may take the same time for the page to load comparing the time needed without the addon (read it somewhere on the net). As for passwords, I remember them or let the browser remember them, is this a considerable risk?

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Add TrafficLight from Bitdefender. Just get the addon. The desktop version has not been updated for long.
TrafficLight is just some extra security without compromising on your browsing speed.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013

malbky said:
Add TrafficLight from Bitdefender. Just get the addon. The desktop version has not been updated for long.
TrafficLight is just some extra security without compromising on your browsing speed.
Thank you! It seems a nice addon!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

Nikos751 said:
exterminator20 said:

Thank you! I use do not track me.Adblock isn't needed for me as It may take the same time for the page to load comparing the time needed without the addon (read it somewhere on the net). As for passwords, I remember them or let the browser remember them, is this a considerable risk?

I would think that it is a risk.LastPass allows you to store all your passwords which are secured by a single password.You can then have lastpass auto fill and or auto login in your browser.Much safer than leaving them stored in a browser.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is this a different PC to your other Config using Kaspersky?
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-My-security--13504

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Earth said:
Is this a different PC to your other Config using Kaspersky?
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-My-security--13504

It is the same! xD I end up using WSA and Comodo now and I have a faster login time than before and maybe a faster system. RAM usage is not low, but I have 4GB of it so I don't care.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nikos751 said:
It is the same! xD I end up using WSA and Comodo now and I have a faster login time than before and maybe a faster system. RAM usage is not low, but I have 4GB of it so I don't care.

Then if it's the same why not just updated the that thread?

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Kaspersky is a res hog. Even I switched to Comodo from KIS. But presently i am on BDIS.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
malbky said:
Kaspersky is a res hog. Even I switched to Comodo from KIS. But presently i am on BDIS.
It is said that BDIS can destroy your system files when removing malware, that's why I don't like it. Also it is a bit trouble to uninstall it.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
If you practise safe browsing habits, I think you're good with your current setup. Don't bloat it up.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Two days ago I changed my security configuration for less resources usage and a faster startup/login. My new configuration is as follows:
-Windows Defender with realtime pr. on (Win8)
-UAC in full protection.
-Windows smartscreen.
-Internet explorer 10 (main browser) with smartscreen and EPM enabled (64 bit & appcontainer). Maybe I'll change to firefox or chrome as IE is a bit laggy but unfortunately I won't have EPM and smartscreen. Is it a big problem?
-Changed to standard account from administrator account for everyday tasks.
-Norton DNS
-I have Malwarebytes free and Hitman pro installed for on demand scans. Maybe I 'll install EAM free when hitman pro trial mode expires.

I believe Windows defender is not crap as many say (ok, it's not the best av but it's ok). Don't you think it's strange that after one or two months Win8 is released, Av-test.org did not certified MSE? Windows defender in Win8 is sth that would reduce big AV companies sales unless they say something bad to PC users about it. From now on I do not trust any of the av testing companies or even virus samples that sites like virussign give.
If I am wrong please correct me xD

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You should be fine with Google Chrome.
- Sandboxing techniques (Firefox lacks this)
- Malware Download Protection
- Malware and Phishing Protection
- 3rd-party Silent Extensions are disabled
- Google notifies you before you permit any extensions and what it can access
- Google Incognito mode has all extensions disabled, unless explicitly allowed

SmartScreen covers the whole of Windows, in Windows 8.
EPM is enabled by default in IE10 (Metro) mode, IE10 (Desktop) can be toggle ON/OFF.

Malwarebytes Free should be sufficient, so you should don't need EAM.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Earth said:
You should be fine with Google Chrome.
- Sandboxing techniques (Firefox lacks this)
- Malware Download Protection
- Malware and Phishing Protection
- 3rd-party Silent Extensions are disabled
- Google notifies you before you permit any extensions and what it can access
- Google Incognito mode has all extensions disabled, unless explicitly allowed

SmartScreen covers the whole of Windows, in Windows 8.
EPM is enabled by default in IE10 (Metro) mode, IE10 (Desktop) can be toggle ON/OFF.

Malwarebytes Free should be sufficient, so you should don't need EAM.
Thank you very much, it's nice that Chrome has sandboxing techniques!
Unfortunately I noticed the following problem with WD. I downloaded an application (Pale moon browser) via firefox, and when clicked the entry (firefox downloads) to run it it did nothing. Antimalware service executable showed around 9% CPu usage and when closed ff, it's exe remained in task manager (running) until I force-closed it. Also After this I could not run the file via windows explorer. Finally, I disabled WD and all was ok with the file. What's weird is that other downloaded files via firefox could open normally. All these did not happen with Chrome. I did the same procedure on another pc and the same things occured.. It's a pity 'cause I thought that WD was not buggy at all :/

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Does it worth to add a behaviour based malware blocker such as Mamutu? If there's a better alternative I would like to know.

D

Deleted member 178

A BB like Mamutu is very effective, note that it is incorporated in EAM paid (the main reason why i use EAM)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
A BB like Mamutu is very effective, note that it is incorporated in EAM paid (the main reason why i use EAM)

I just installed EAM to test it, but I find it heavy, It causes several seconds delay before showing the login screen (Win 8) and it slows down PC performance. My system has 4Gb of memory at 1333Mhz an AMD955 CPU (4 core) and HDD for system and files. I have Kaspersky installed but startup is disabled, so I suppose it's not sth that has to do with it.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Now it's Windows Defender with the other Win8 security features enabled. Nothing more than this, plus hitman pro, Emsisoft in freeware mode and MBAM free for scans every week-10 days.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.