https://malwaretips.com/threads/just-my-desktop-specs.63421/

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
My new configuration:
Avast IS 8 (license won by recommending Avast free to others) without software updater (prefer to update apps bymyself).
Of course UAC is in full mode and Windows smartscreen is enabled using local account.
*Avast is proved to be if not the best, one of the very top antivirus programs. I 've heard of many people have it installed for years and they did not have problems. Of course this is too general but Avast seems to be the product with the most pleased users in terms of protection. Call me excessive, but it's not easy to find a better antivirus product based on users experience. xD

Reactions: Logethica

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Changed to CIS for some time and now have only Windows 8 Defender with Windows firewall & UAC cranked up.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Undecided security. :p

Do you use imaging software to restore back to, or the standard uninstall + install process?

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
The standard procedure :p It's not much for me to format and reinstall windows in some months, so I don't mind having some useless registry entries or a disk that's being fragmented (this can be mostly fixed by defragmenting). The only AV that I 've keeped on my PC for a long time is Avast free (3-4 years) xD

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Nikos751 said:
The standard procedure :p It's not much for me to format and reinstall windows in some months, so I don't mind having some useless registry entries or a disk that's being fragmented (this can be mostly fixed by defragmenting). The only AV that I 've keeped on my PC for a long time is Avast free (3-4 years) xD

People like us who change their security setup often should use image backup or software like rollback rx because uninstall/install av on each other not only left behind some registry,it also slow downs system and chance of some confliction too cannot ruled out.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Spirit said:
Nikos751 said:

People like us who change their security setup often should use image backup or software like rollback rx because uninstall/install av on each other not only left behind some registry,it also slow downs system and chance of some confliction too cannot ruled out.
you 're right, I may do it in this way from now

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I keep hearing good news about Macrium Reflect:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Seems good! To be honest, my concern is that I have documents that are updated/added every one or two days (university projects, notes,photos etc) and it's not a very good idea for me to do all this and have disk consuming images stored. However I also have a Win7 installation on the same PC so I maybe use it for this purpose. Now it's an exams period and don't have much time for such things; I 'll make it later on.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Update: Reinstalled Windows and left Windows 8 Defender activated. I simply added MBAM to do quick scan every week. Of course UAC is cranked up and smartscreen filters on. This time I left the account as admin.
What I realized is that almost all AV products cause some freezing/delay when using IE.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Update: My current config (Windows 8.1, non UEFI mobo) is as follows:
Eset antivirus 7.
Emet 4.1.
UAC full/ Windows Smartscreen, admin account.
Browsing with Chrome/Adblock installed with malware protection list enabled.
Norton DNS.

Any recommendation, comments on this configuration?
Will there be any problem with ESET & EMET running together?

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome back.

There should not be an issues, ESET is an Antivirus and EMET helps harden Windows and Applications against exploits.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
thanks! I know about EMET, but I wanted to make sure about any not expected conflicts.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Update:
Replaced Eset Nod32 AV with Avast internet security. I believe I gain more security with that config because of Avast sandbox and hardened mode that I have enabled.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
New config! Returned to my favourite setup: Comodo Internet Security free! I probably don't need it as I am very cautious and I know how to keep my PC & data safe, but I like to be almost fully protected in any case.
Also, I removed EMET.

Last edited:

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What setting would you suggest me to use for autosandbox feature?
I don't want partly limited for sure and I don't want my system or some safe app to be broken for such reason. I think I 'll choose from fully virtualized or blocked.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I removed CIS 6.3 as it made my system unstable and now, I am with the classic windows protection components. WD, smartscreen, UAC etc

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Is it worth trying Norton AV 2014 instead of using Avira free? I don't think so, but I want your views on it as the only experience that I have from Norton is that it's latest versions are light on resources.. :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Security Config update:
Avira Free with Web Protection (registry tweak)
Malwarebytes Antiexploit Premium
Windows Firewall at defaults
Browser: Chrome, with ublock & https everywhere addons, click to play setting enabled, delete cookies on exit
Norton ConnectSafe (Norton DNS)

Other related settings, configs:
UAC at maximum, windows smartscreen enabled, system always updated.
Malwarebytes free installed for scans every 2 weeks
Sumatra PDF.

Cleaners/optimizers used:
Windows Cleanup Tool, Ccleaner, and Windows Defrag tool.

I try to keep a lightweight system that's performing well while having satisfactory security.
I avoid using any other third party maintenance tools except from the above as they do more harm than good provided that I don't get infected and I know how to keep my systems fit condition.

D

Deleted member 178

Security Config update:
Avira Free with Web Protection (registry tweak)
Malwarebytes Antiexploit Premium
Windows Firewall at defaults
Browser: Chrome, with ublock & https everywhere addons, click to play setting enabled, delete cookies on exit
Norton ConnectSafe (Norton DNS)

Other related settings, configs:
UAC at maximum, windows smartscreen enabled, system always updated.
Malwarebytes free installed for scans every 2 weeks
Sumatra PDF.

Cleaners/optimizers used:
Windows Cleanup Tool, Ccleaner, and Windows Defrag tool.

I try to keep a lightweight system that's performing well while having satisfactory security.
I avoid using any other third party maintenance tools except from the above as they do more harm than good provided that I don't get infected and I know how to keep my systems fit condition.

i activated and updated your config header , now i need you to fill the infos. thx

approved by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.