Google Drive
HashTab
Foxit Reader

P

Plexx

RE: nishadrox's config

Here are my recommendations:

Uninstaller:
Revo Uninstaller Free (you will need to install) - works only with 32bit architecture
IObit Uninstaller - works with any architecture and its portable

File/folder unlocker: Either Unlocker 1.9.1 32bit (installer version) or Unlocker 1.9.0 Portable (both architectures); Malwarebytes FILE Assassin (installer or portable).

Note: McLovin recommendations are all paid products.
Backup: Free versions of Paragon Backup and Recovery, Macrium Reflect or EaseUS Todo Backup. I personally have best results with Paragon (not the fastest but stable)

Drop MBAM Pro from Real Time Protection to On Demand Scanner since its system resources usage is a bit heavy for what it does, plus you are using Bullguard which is enough on its own for Real Time Protection.

As for Defrag: If you have paid for Diskeeper, fair enough. If not you can use a free version of Puran Defrag. Does the same job and doesn't use any real time defragmentation.

If you do want Real Time defrag, I would rather use Perfect Disk (another paid solution).

That should be it for now.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012

Thanks for the feedbacks and recommendations McLovin and Biozfear! :)

McLovin- I added Ghostery just now and it's working well.
Actually I'm using Google Drive for backing up my personal and important files. As I'm having a cap on my data usage I can't afford to backup everything in the cloud. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Biozfear- Revo Uninstaller is good too. I have used it and Geek Uninstaller both and I find Geek Uninstaller faster and as good as Revo Uninstaller when it comes to cleaning leftover files.
In my system MBAM Pro uses around 10MB and it's not heavy on the system. But I'll check further for performance issues.
I too agree that Perfect Disk is better than Diskeeper. I'm currently evaluating Diskeeper. So I'll buy Perfect Disk as soon as Diskeeper trial expires. Thanks for the suggestions :)

D

Deleted member 178

you should not use a real-time defragger, it put a strain in your HDD, since it will defrag all the time and you will get a very small gain in responsiveness.
Personally i defrag once every 2 months and no way i will pay for one.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Revo Uninstaller Free has a Portable edition too:
Code:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/download/revouninstaller.zip

Basic backup features are included in Windows 7. No need for 3rd-party software, unless you need more additional functionality/features for more frequent backups etc.

1. You can Create a System Image of OS partition.
2. You can Create a System Recovery disc (use link above).
3. Buy a Memory stick to back up your personal data too, and the best part there's no Cap.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
you should not use a real-time defragger, it put a strain in your HDD, since it will defrag all the time and you will get a very small gain in responsiveness.
Personally i defrag once every 2 months and no way i will pay for one.

You r right real-time defragger put a strain on HDD since some days when i started real-time defragger my pc slow down so yesterday i stop it & now it works as smooth as before:)

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012

Earth said:
Revo Uninstaller Free has a Portable edition too:
Code:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/download/revouninstaller.zip

Basic backup features are included in Windows 7. No need for 3rd-party software, unless you need more additional functionality/features for more frequent backups etc.

1. You can Create a System Image of OS partition.
2. You can Create a System Recovery disc (use link above).
3. Buy a Memory stick to back up your personal data too, and the best part there's no Cap.

Thanks mate. I'm on it :)

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012

Umbra Corp. and MalwareVirus- Do you mean real time defragmentation damages the hard disk? :O
But it doesn't slow down the system though...

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012

nishadrox said:
Umbra Corp. and MalwareVirus- Do you mean real time defragmentation damages the hard disk? :O
Actually i read little bit about it on Zdnet article that "Fragmentation is silent killer for HDD"But it slow down my pc.
But you must await for Umbra's Reply.
http://www.techrepublic.com/whitepapers/why-native-windows-defragmentation-isnt-enough/2143445?promo=539&trial=25532946&tag=wpzd&cval=wit2.zdnet&tag=nl.e539

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

real time defragmentation is not something i like it sure will make the system slower when defragmenting at the same time you are acessing a file nah?

D

Deleted member 178

nishadrox said:

i will just use that analogy:

what will be useless sooner:

1- a toothbrush used all day long?
2- a toothbrush used once a day?

Also when using an Security apps, it is preferred to choose one with less HDD impact

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012

Umbra Corp. said:
nishadrox said:

i will just use that analogy:

what will be useless sooner:

1- a toothbrush used all day long?
2- a toothbrush used once a day?

Also when using an Security apps, it is preferred to choose one with less HDD impact

Nice example! :D :p

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012

House_maniac said:
real time defragmentation is not something i like it sure will make the system slower when defragmenting at the same time you are acessing a file nah?

My system hasn't slowed down at all :)

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012

Changed to Comodo Internet Security. I hope it's a good decision :)
Is it better to keep the Sandbox enabled or disabled? Comodo Leaktests were successfully blocked when the Sandbox was disabled.

D

Deleted member 178

nishadrox said:
Is it better to keep the Sandbox enabled or disabled? Comodo Leaktests were successfully blocked when the Sandbox was disabled.

CLT is supposed to be run without the Auto-sandbox.

If you know how to use CIS, it is a good decision.

D

Deleted member 178

Enabling the Auto-sandbox is a must-do with CIS, you must set it to any level except "partially limited" ( i suggest "untrusted" for best protection, higher it is better it is) .

If you want a Sandboxie-like full virtualization you must use the Manual Sandbox.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.