Solved No database updates over the weekend? (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Most cloud-based detection from APC (Avira Protection Cloud) can be triggered by F-Secure; however, I did notice that some APC detections won’t be triggered by F-Secure, especially new threats.

It seems to me that F-Secure no longer has access to APC from Avira.
@upnorth could inform us because he uses F-Secure :)

What I don't like about Avira, to trigger APC, you have to do a scan or run the file while others like Avast! or Eset detect directly....

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Will be at my workstation soon, within an hour. I will check if any updates have arrived today. If today, a weekday, is without updates, I will open a ticket with F-Secure. Will update you all here.

And will be keeping a close eye on this issue for this upcoming weekend. Will report if they update or skip another weekend.

Well, I was a bit late but here are the current engine versions on my F-Secure:
  • F-Secure Capricorn Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-03_19
  • F-Secure Virgo Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-03_01
  • F-Secure Hydra Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-03_03
  • F-Secure DeepGuard Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-03_04

In short, yes they pushed updates today. But why skip them over the weekend? We shouldn’t let this go lightly.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It seems to me that F-Secure no longer has access to APC from Avira.
@upnorth could inform us because he uses F-Secure :)
Your guess is as good as mine. 🤷‍♂️ What is a bit extra interesting though, is the data mentioned/shown by 2 beta testers. @Gandalf_The_Grey and @Lord Ami , please report this " wobbly " behavior also in the official beta channel/thread. I can guess that could eventually help.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Happy to report that for two weekends straight, F-Secure has been updating at least one (Capricorn) if not multiple engines. I forgot to post last weekend, but was monitoring the situation all the same.

This weekend F-Secure updated throughout the weekend (4/21 - 4/23), often with multiple updates a day. Latest update pushed out over the weekend:
  • F-Secure Capricorn Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-23_16**
  • F-Secure Virgo Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-21_01
  • F-Secure Hydra Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-21_01
  • F-Secure DeepGuard Engine (64-bit) 2023-04-03_04
** That last number there after the underscore (16) is the number of the updates for that particular engine on that day. So on 4/23 Capricorn started off as 2023-04-23_01, and ended as 2023-04-23_16. This means F-Secure pushed out 16 separate engine updates for Capricorn (Avira) on 4/23 alone. And several previously on 4/22 as well.

Not bad F-Secure. I’m sensing a redemption arc.

Of course, Capricorn was the engine most frequently updated. The others are in-house and may need less maintenance. Their last updates were on 4/21 (Friday). DeepGuard was last updated in early April.

Just another heads-up for those following this thread. F-Secure indeed released updates over the last weekend, as well as this weekend. In fact, in the early morning hours of this past Saturday, F-Secure had already released three separate updates for the Capricorn engine. F-Secure continues to push out updates throughout the rest of this weekend as well.

At this point, F-Secure has demonstrated they’re commited to pushing out updates 7 days a week once more. Not sure what happened last month, but it seems like they’re back on track. I‘m going to stop posting here about the updates since everything seems fine now. If F-Secure begins skipping updates once again, I’ll post here and let you all know.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Regrettably, I am back here again. I haven’t been at my desk in a while, and booted up my PC to find this:
IMG-8549.png

Can anyone confirm if their F-Secure looks like this? Not having updates for Capricorn and Virgo since 5/6 and 5/5 looks dangerous to me. That’s more than a week out of date.

• Wow
Reactions: Trident

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Can anyone confirm if their F-Secure looks like this? Not having updates for Capricorn and Virgo since 5/6 and 5/5 looks dangerous to me. That’s more than a week out of date.
Since there is zero problem not only on my own machine, but also in my VM ( 14 Capricorn updates so far today Saturday the 13th of May ) and along with the official info on F-Secures database update page, I would suggest you try one option in the settings that might help. If not, I would recommend you contact the support or try on their forum.

Settings/Support:
2023-05-13_21-21-01.png

Todays Capricorn updates:

2023-05-13_21-15-36.png

2023-05-13_21-19-08.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.