Solved No internet, No restore, Firewall shuts off.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I don't know how to help you further, PC seems clean, but it seems like it is heavily corrupted, and maybe fresh system is the best option. On the other side, I'd like to state that Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP operating system which makes you vulnerable to malicious software. I'd counsel you to upgrade to Windows Vista or above for full protection.

fl.gardener

Thread author
May 5, 2014
Good Morning,
I suspected as much. I knew that the machine needed to be replaced with something more current. I do not want to waste anymore of your valuable time on this computer. I do have a couple questions that you might look at.
  1. Could this 'problem' be transferred to the new machine via the wireless expansion card? Should I get another card? I would hate to infect a clean machine. Is there any way to transfer some of the files from the old machine without spreading the problem to the new machine? I have some study notes for my exam on there.
  2. Of the various flavors of windows out there right now, is there one that you would recommend over the others? I have heard some horror stories related to windows operating systems.
Thank you so much for all your time and invaluable advice. I have known for some time that this machine needed to be replaced, just things have been very tight of late.
Kind Regards,
Michael

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
1. Machine looks clean, so I you shouldn't worry. There is no virus, just some error very difficult to repair.

2. I am using Windows 7 for 5 years, and I am very satisfied. Windows 7 is my recommendation.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.