Not open for further replies.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
As of 3 days ago I am no longer able to log in to my bank account with my desktop Browser Edge and Chrome, for some reason Internet employer still works, does anyone have any insight why this could be? My Android phone also works. The Banks support offers no help

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I found my problem, the browser extension "Web Boost" was causing it, funny I didn't notice any other site having trouble. Thanks all for your help

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
As of 3 days ago I am no longer able to log in to my bank account with my desktop Browser Edge and Chrome, for some reason Internet employer still works, does anyone have any insight why this could be? My Android phone also works. The Banks support offers no help
Maybe an adblocker or some extension is blocking it? Maybe banking mode of your antivirus?

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I wouldn't even try to login with Internet Explorer if I were you. Do you have system- or network-wide adblocking configured with Adguard Windows or NextDNS etc. that may block some needed resources of the site? As it's not working in both Edge and Chrome this might be the case.

Upvote 0

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I wouldn't even try to login with Internet Explorer if I were you. Do you have system- or network-wide adblocking configured with Adguard Windows or NextDNS etc. that may block some needed resources of the site? As it's not working in both Edge and Chrome this might be the case.
But I believe system-wide blocking would affect Internet Explorer too, right?

Upvote 0

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
In Edge, click on the profile icon in the top right corner and select "browse as guest". Try logging in using the guest account.

Untitled.png

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't think the Web Boost extension will steal data, as it is open source, and you can view the source code. It has not been updated for a long time, as the developer as not had the time to do so. He recommends using Decentraleyes as an alternative as it is more up to date.
https://www.facebook.com/WebBoostExtension/posts/what-are-the-differences-from-decentraleyes-disconnect-and-local-cdn-is-it-usefu/2751524878253759/
Decentralayes is basically a copy of one of WebBoost algorithms.
I would say - use Decentralayes for now, it's fresher than WebBoost.
I will update WebBoost when I have time for that project

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I don't think the Web Boost extension will steal data, as it is open source
Let's speak about facts ;)
OpenSource doesn't mean it's secure or private.
Only very few people checking OpenSource code and even less for little known projects.

And you don't know if that code is used in the end if you doesn't compile it by yourself.
Only an Audit will tell you and this needs to be done after every update.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
5M1jVAXghPTvYYtMBXCsCeialtqWwYqDOW4nDXIHXD5_SWwtajLZ5EbgQW0CW22YvYF1Oy_SJQnamfrgcZjIQ1BS=w128-h128-e365-rj-sc0x00ffffff

Web Boost it was this one not McAfee​

Link: Web Boost - Wait Less, Browse Faster!
Last updated August 2016.

This extension applies clever caching techniques (which are not there in browser by default) and blocks the stuff you do not need (ads and trackers).
It requires "the access to read all website data" to analyse what website building blocks are used to cache and block things.

Source code at mr-mig/webbooost
Reading the reviews on the CWS, it's out-dated and may break newer websites. It also appears that one of the possible developers responds, but never delivers the goods.

It may be recommended to uninstall this version, and replace with a similar extension.

Marking thread as solved.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask at Add-ons & Extensions

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.