No WiFi after Malwarebytes scan and quarantine

Nick McKinnon

Thread author
Jan 7, 2017
Hi,

Last night I ran a Malwarebytes scan on my Windows 10 (64bit) laptop, and the scan found "Unknown.Rootkit.Driver, C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\nwifi.sys" and then recommended quarantining the file, which I did.

Since then, I have had no wifi access and I have had no success fixing the problem (I've been Googling for hours!). I tried downloading and running this Intel driver tool which is the right one for my network card (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165), but sadly this has had no effect:

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=89450

I've tried doing a Network Reset, which also did not fix the problem.

I've uploaded the Malwarebytes scan report.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nick McKinnon

Attachments

• Malwarebytes Scan Report.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Nick McKinnon

Thread author
Jan 7, 2017
Hurray! My Wifi is fixed!

It took a System Restore to get it working.

Here's the steps I followed:

Hold in Shift and restart computer.

This restarted the computer and loaded it to a blue screen with a few options.

From here I selected Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then System Restore.

Then I got to a dialogue box showing available System Restore points. (There was also a tick box underneath which when ticked showed more Restore points).

I selected the most recent Restore Point before my Wifi broke down, and started the Restore process.

Sadly, this didn't work, saying something or other was corrupted.

I then ran System Restore again, this time choosing the next less recent, and thankfully, that solved my problem!

Yay for System Restore!

Hopefully my troubles helps someone else!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.