NordVPN shuts down its Russian servers (Here's Why)

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
We all know anonymity is a myth, but its not same in all countries. If goverment want access to servers with user data, this says pretty much everything.
In my country privacy is pretty good. Goverment doesn't demand data from internet providers unless they believe you are doing something illegal. My friend works in goverment, so this is info from first hand.
Internet providers don't care about P2P. We can download as much as we want, till we don't sell stuff online, which is criminal act.

Now you can see difference between my country and Russia. In both countries anonymity is gone, but in Russia is much worse.
maybe you believe that the government tells everything to a citizen, but I do not believe. The government has its secrets and not everything is saying to the citizen. Citizen does not have to know everything.
example: recently an affair with Snowden that went round the world.

even though I'm not from russia.
but let me know that the government is changing and the rules are changing too.
every citizen of a given country is registered even if having an identity card is also a citizen registration and such examples can be more.
besides, there is nothing to politicize because as you know the internet is not anonymous.
better to blow on cold.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Anonymity in intrnet is a myth.
every large security company on the internet is potentially an agency that gathers information about Internet users.
no matter if it's Kaspersky, Avast, Notron, Eset, etc. all deal with it.
even companies that are VPN producers also deal with this.and it's not for free yet because you pay for it, because in order to use it you have to buy and give your data.
using VPN is not anonymous and will not hide.
To be honest, the internet is not anonymous in these times.
that's the truth.

I said "a very high level of privacy and anonymity". Not complete privacy and anonymity;)

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
We all know anonymity is a myth, but its not same in all countries. If goverment want access to servers with user data, this says pretty much everything.
In my country privacy is pretty good. Goverment doesn't demand data from internet providers unless they believe you are doing something illegal. My friend works in goverment, so this is info from first hand.
Internet providers don't care about P2P. We can download as much as we want, till we don't sell stuff online, which is criminal act.

Now you can see difference between my country and Russia. In both countries anonymity is gone, but in Russia is much worse.
Good point friend, I know both Russia & USA never respect users privacy...but which country you prefer?

I would say that i like very much NordVpn reaction. At least they have some guts and show the will to protect the data of their users. Are you not paying for a service that gives you a very high level of privacy and anonymity?

Ok, fine, we all know that the secret services of any country are spying on users data and so on. But what are the decisions and actions taken by other Vpn services in that case? Are they taking their customers money but at the same time providing infos that the Russian government asks them? How about sharing infos of your customers to the Russian government but having a zero log policy?:unsure:
I think its different between sharing via VPN companies OR spy VIA Government Secret Service.
N2 is illegal and court can't "ehem ehem" you & Also secret service do't have enough time to spy all people for breaking local laws(same as P2P or...)!! (they just focus on terorist)-->all of us now if (CIA or FSB) want spy any (ANY) people around the world they can :)
N1 is legal and court can do "ehem ehem" if you break you local law :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Besides NordVPN the other guys affected are
ExpressVPN, TorGuard, IPVanish, VPN Unlimited, VyprVPN, Kaspersky Secure Connection, HideMyAss!, Hola VPN, and OpenVPN.

Let's watch their response and see whether they truly abide by their privacy policy rules

Hmmmm..... I definitely have an interest for I signed up with ExpressVPN and VyprVPN

Last edited:

gerinho

Level 1
Verified
Apr 28, 2018
TorGuard removed servers from Russia, too

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
A company with principles.

While some countries are more draconian and bordering on Stalinist principles of mass slaughter and barbarity, others are more civilized.

"U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration speak in veiled terms about the secret DEA unit that shares intelligence from the National Security Agency and other organizations with law enforcement for use in criminal investigations. They call it the “Dark Side.” "

The slippery slope:

Welcome to Law Enforcement’s “Dark Side”: Secret Evidence, Illegal Searches, and Dubious Traffic Stops

And always remember, laws are different from one country to another and change through time, either made by man or fictional deities.

Reactions: omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Windscribe Reply in Twitter:
"For those of you in Russia: We will not be cooperating with Roskomnadzor. Also, here is Putin hugging a puppy"

zwy_55.png

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
The new Information about this game also ProtonVPN, Ivacy VPN, Private Internet Access, TgVPN, Trust.Zone, Windscribe refusal to cooperate with Roskomnadzor, page is in russian I think that you can translate it via bing or google....

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Maybe is just me but i can't take company serious if behave like that. What if everyone would have "humor" like them?

Being in business myself over 10 years, i can't imagine cooperate with company like them.

I completely agree. I posted that very same tweet here at the time. Very unprofessional to say the least. I see nothing humorous about it at all and I've no doubt it caused considerable offence to many people. If you wish to be taken seriously you just don't do that type of thing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.