Battle Norton 360 or Bitdefender Total Security?

Compare list
Norton 360
Bitdefender Total Security
In-depth Comparison

G

Guilhermesene

ESET with the settings well adjusted is great :) I do not change ESET for anything, it makes the machine fast, it has the best web protection for me, great protection against PUP / PUA, it is light and does not install several useless programs (VPN among others)

Note: It's just my opinion, I respect anyone who prefers another antivirus

Note 2: Sorry if I didn't choose any of the two options you put in the question

ChristianP

Level 1
May 1, 2020
Even if i am a Bitdefender fan, i also like Norton 360, been using it for the last 5 months, never had a problem regarding the software itself, a few viruses blocked/ quarantined, never been infected, i like the settings of Norton, a while ago i had a file downloaded from a shady website, the other major AV's did detect the file as malicious, Norton didn't, i manually added the file to quarantine, and from quarantine options i sent the file back to Norton for analysis, less than 24 hr later, Norton was detecting the file as malicious. Manually can't add files to quarantine with Bitdefender or Kaspersky, unfortunately. You can't go wrong with any of them, both a light on the system, both are efficient/strong. Norton has more tweaking options, but not to make you confused, its all crystal clear. As far as the price, if you search on google i'm sure you will find license for any of them for around 20$-25$ 1 year 1/3 PC's.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
Bitdefender is still a resource hog. Norton 360 considerably lighter : good webfilter , good behaviour blocked and signatures. Been using 360 for 3 months now and I am satisfied with it ( allthough eset smart security runs lighter ). You can get a good deal for norton 360 2 years 3 devices over at computeractivestore.co.uk if you want. Nortons firewall is on of the best in the market as well!

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I
I only had to sign in to my account when I first installed it.
It might have been my fault as I uninstalled,then when reinstalling the sign ins began and often did not connect, when I tried to contact support they kept pushing me to pay, Lifelock would never reset no matter what I did,also the web protection did not allow me to go to a site I go to often.,No thanks I pass on Norton

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It might have been my fault as I uninstalled,then when reinstalling the sign ins began and often did not connect, when I tried to contact support they kept pushing me to pay, Lifelock would never reset no matter what I did,also the web protection did not allow me to go to a site I go to often.,No thanks I pass on Norton
In general my experience with Norton these days has been very positive. It's usually very light and I haven't experienced any issues that I can think of. I can't say too much about its web protection, as I currently just have Norton install a test computer, that I do very little browsing on.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
In general my experience with Norton these days has been very positive. It's usually very light and I haven't experienced any issues that I can think of. I can't say too much about its web protection, as I currently just have Norton install a test computer, that I do very little browsing on.
Norton has great protection from malware but web protection is not that great.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
When I tried both I slightly preferred Norton -- both were similarly light but Norton "got out of my way" better than BitDefender did, though BitDefender was only mildly annoying in that it would remind me of browser plugins and other trinkets over the course of the next few days.
I don't know much about BitDefender's cloud, but Norton Insight actually uploads a fair deal of data back to Norton for anonymized statistics -- that's how they have insight not just to whether or not something is suspicious, but also its resource usage, crash proneness, etc. Norton's transparent about it -- if you go into the log view you can see everything it is uploading.

Overall this is a really close call. At the end of the day, honestly, the relative ease at finding inexpensive Norton subscriptions tips me a bit towards Norton.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Norton may be lighter. However, the only way to tell how either will perform on your own system, is to try both. Just restore from an image, or use the vendor's uninstall tool, after uninstalling, to ensure that all traces are removed.
Currently there isn’t an uninstall tool for the new Bitdefender version (would be 2021). Been waiting for one to try it out again. Personally I’d go with BD, but it’s definitely just up to personal preference.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
I only had to sign in to my account when I first installed it.

Me too, only when installing norton for the first time. The only annoying bug is that the program cannot make a connection with the norton servers....the only way to circumvent this is too run an update, directly after the innitial install , this way your account gets activated.

Last edited:

Hoke88

Verified
Sep 25, 2019
Currently there isn’t an uninstall tool for the new Bitdefender version (would be 2021). Been waiting for one to try it out again. Personally I’d go with BD, but it’s definitely just up to personal preference.
I have installed Bitdefender Total Security 2021 and uninstalled it with there 2020 uninstall tool without issues. Tried it on a couple of PCs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.