Advice Request Norton Data Protector

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I don"t know if this helps,
'Norton Data Protector' is a part of Norton 22.17.2! | Norton Community
May 7, 2019 - 'Norton Data Protector' is a part of Norton 22.17.2! ... Norton Data Protector feature aims to provide the comfort of having an additional layer of ransomware protection that is automatic. Additionally, you can customize the configuration of what applications and files are allowed to be modified.

Willians

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
I don"t know if this helps,
'Norton Data Protector' is a part of Norton 22.17.2! | Norton Community
May 7, 2019 - 'Norton Data Protector' is a part of Norton 22.17.2! ... Norton Data Protector feature aims to provide the comfort of having an additional layer of ransomware protection that is automatic. Additionally, you can customize the configuration of what applications and files are allowed to be modified.

I saw...
but ... We are already in version 22.17.3.50

Reactions: Burrito and bjm_

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Safe to say it'll remain in beta for more time.
Does anyone know when Norton Data Protector will exit the Beta and stay public?
Best response would be to ask on the Norton Community.

You can also leave beta feedback.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
When it comes out, it will be a nice little addition to the product. And it's good that Norton is designing it to automatically cover certain file types... as many would never do anything to set-up and protect files if it was extra effort.... optional.

Last edited:
B

BVLon

Guys, I noticed something weird. I thought I just don't have data protector, because maybe it is not compatible or something.
On my settings page, there is no data protector tab.
1583465355761.png

However, I typed protector in search...
1583465389197.png

Seems to be there, but hidden.
Next, I typed folder, as "folder" should be on the list of settings for sure...
1583465440805.png

Protected folders does come up. Can someone else confirm the issue, before I submit to Symantec? It seems so weird to me...
@bjm_ you are a Norton fighter... I just saw now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Guys, I noticed something weird. I thought I just don't have data protector, because maybe it is not compatible or something.
On my settings page, there is no data protector tab.

However, I typed protector in search...

Seems to be there, but hidden.
Next, I typed folder, as "folder" should be on the list of settings for sure...

Protected folders does come up. Can someone else confirm the issue, before I submit to Symantec? It seems so weird to me...
@bjm_ you are a Norton fighter... I just saw now. :)

1583486175998.png

Yeah, it's there on at least two of my computers.

Sometimes my different computers get some updates at very different times. And sometimes the settings are even slightly different --- the way Norton sets them. I've wondered about that..

And yeah, @bjm_ has helped me several times. He keeps up with this stuff.

That was good that you found it by searching --- I would have just assumed it was not there.

B

BVLon

View attachment 234490

Yeah, it's there on at least two of my computers.

Sometimes my different computers get some updates at very different times. And sometimes the settings are even slightly different --- the way Norton sets them. I've wondered about that..

And yeah, @bjm_ has helped me several times. He keeps up with this stuff.

That was good that you found it by searching --- I would have just assumed it was not there.
If these are your settings, I recommend that you set SONAR Advanced Mode to Aggressive and always, always keep boot time protection on. I know it comes off by default, by it should be on :)

B

BVLon

@MacDefender faced this Data Protector issue as well. I think Norton support told him that the feature is not pushed to every user yet.
It is obviously there, just there is no tab in settings, which seems like a glitch in the html 5, rather than data protector not being pushed. Norton support is not the most knowledgeable source lol
I'll give it a try and see if it really works...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It is obviously there, just there is no tab in settings, which seems like a glitch in the html 5, rather than data protector not being pushed. Norton support is not the most knowledgeable source lol
I'll give it a try and see if it really works...
Oh it was few months ago so now it's available to everyone I guess and it's just a bug in your case.

B

BVLon

Oh it was few months ago so now it's available to everyone I guess and it's just a bug in your case.
My guess is, it is a bug for everyone, but unfortunately, I no longer have contacts in NortonLifelock... everyone I used to know left, so I have to rely on their community or support to report the bug...Not great
Maybe @bjm_ can help us get this looked into...?

Reactions: Protomartyr

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I've tested Norton 360 recently last year (December), before changing to Norton oficcially and it had no data protector too.

Now I installed it again, with my ending of Kaspersky license, and it came with data protector on my 2 home computers.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
FWIW ~ last I'm aware > https://community.norton.com/en/comment/8322411#comment-8322411
Looks like a good adittion to close any Norton gap, specially because it comes with default settings, but it does increase some FPs when detected it some suspicious activity on protected files.

"Yes, you are right - appdata is not part of Protected Folders. But, we have a feature called Protected File Types, that protects files with certain extensions anywhere in the file system even if its part of app data."

Attachments

• png_4504.png
    png_4504.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Norton Data Protector Brad_Lane Blocks Deletion of Temp FIles 16 Feb 2020.png
    Norton Data Protector Brad_Lane Blocks Deletion of Temp FIles 16 Feb 2020.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 238
  • png_4500_0.png
    png_4500_0.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 354

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.